Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i was talking to my family over the weekend about my kindle 2 coming in on wed.
I was also trying to convert them to getting a kindle, and my uncle's friend has one, my uncle made a comment that his friend reads a lot more because of the fact that the kindle is more fun to read then a real book... is that true? ???

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I think I read about the same. I've always read a lot. I do enjoy the ease of reading on the Kindle and being able to get a new book without leaving the house. I reread books as well and have been adding some of my favorites in Kindle format. No more searching though my bookshelves to find a book that I want to reread.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Short answer: For me, most definitely

Long answer: I've had my Kindle less than a week so far, so can't comment on the long-term. But I've a very strong feeling that yes, indeed, the Kindle will encourage me to read much, much more. The main reason for me is convenience and comfort. Regarding convenience, I can just grab the Kindle and start reading whatever strikes my mood, and also use it to look up unfamiliar words (often too lazy to do that with DTB's). As for comfort, I often find some DTB's to be a bit unwieldy, especially a brand new book that hasn't yet been broken in (and I refuse to bend the cover of a book to hold it with one hand). The Kindle doesn't have any of these problems, and I can even read hands-free while eating or whatever else.

Of course, paper books are nice, too. And I don't think I'll stop buying them completely, but probably reserve those purchases for the books that I consider more precious.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've always read a lot.... but I definitely read much more on MaKK - probably at least twice as much.  No more eye strain and headaches... no more getting tired of holding open a DTB and losing your place if you lay it down without grabbing something to use as a bookmark.  I can enjoy a cup of coffee while reading on my Kindle and pet my dog too.... because I put MaKK on a book stand on my lap for "hands-free" reading.  Plus, I have hundreds of books instantly available to choose from if I want to change from fiction to a biography, a classic favorite, or whatever.  And, for me.... it is just more fun to read on a Kindle.  I have a new series of books that have been recommended here on KB that I'm going to read.... but there are 30+ books in the series so far and I can't afford to buy them for MaKK.  I'll have to read them in the DTV from the library..... and I'm honestly dreading it.  I MUCH prefer reading on my Kindle!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think it may seem more fun at first because it's a new gadget, and gadgets are fun! But once you get started into a book it will feel the same as any other book you will be lost in the story and not even pay attention to the fact that you are on a kindle.

I do think I read a tad faster on the kindle though. Probably because of simple quick page turns, easier on your eyes, easier to find your page when you start/stop a book, adjustable font change, etc. All the extra ease of use probably adds up and makes the book flow more quickly than on a dtb.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Not for me.... Of course, I always had a book with me wherever I went before I got a Kindle.... ::)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
When I have a block of time where I can actually sit down and lose myself in a book, I find that the Kindle makes it easier; I read faster, and therefore can read more in the same block of time.

The Spouse Thingy noticed it, too. He was amazed at how many more books he chewed through in a week post-Kindle. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps because we can change the font size to suit eye fatigue...? I don't know, but we've both noticed we can read more in an hour on the Kindle than we can a print book.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
yes a  book was always in hand before K. With K the selection is fun, the convenience is better and I am more apt to get a book for me and not worry that others in family likes or not. I don't have to worry about shelf space. I do find time to read a bit more.
happy its SPRING and good books abound
Sylvia

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Not sure about the fun part,however, I know I read more with the kindle than I ever did without it.I also read in lots of different genres that I had never read from before.
It is a wonderful side effect for sure :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
I always read a great deal, but my reading has also gone up a bit since I got my Kindle.  I think it's several factors.  Convenience - I can read while I'm eating without having to juggle a book (or anything else that doesn't require much conentration).  Availability - if I finish one book, I always have a backup ready to start instead of having to wait until I get home to pick up a new one, plus if I find myself with unexpected free time away from home I always have it with me.  One odd thing I haven't figured out - for some reason I'm more willing to read on the Kindle when I only have a few minutes.  With a DTB I generally won't pick it up unless I have time to finish a full chapter, but that doesn't bother me on the Kindle.  I don't know if it's the lack of page numbers, the *single page* layout, or what, but it doesn't bother me at all to stop mid-chapter any more.

Whatever the reason, my average has increased by about a book a week.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Absolutely

I used to read a book a year.  I didn't like going to bookstores, it was overwhelming, inconvenient, and I never know what I wanted to read (didn't have the Book Corner then).  I also hated carrying a book around with me. 

With the Kindle, I don't have to 'shop' for a book, I now have a long list of books I want to read.  I've started reading other genres.  Since the classics are free, I've started reading them.  It's so easy to bring my K anyplace, I can ready anywhere.  Being able to read one handed also makes it easier to read during lunch, in bed, standing on the bus.

I still don't read as much as most people on KindleBoards, but now I can easily do 3-4 books a month.  That's like a 4000% increase  ;D .

·
Registered
139 Posts
I read quite a bit more on my kindle, and so does my husband.  I've also noticed that I've read books I never would have read before.  Most of that is due to all the bargain books out there.  If it's free or a couple bucks, I'll give it a go, whereas I never would have paid full price to buy it as a DTB.

·
Registered
406 Posts
JetJammer said:
I always read a great deal, but my reading has also gone up a bit since I got my Kindle. I think it's several factors. Convenience - I can read while I'm eating without having to juggle a book (or anything else that doesn't require much conentration). Availability - if I finish one book, I always have a backup ready to start instead of having to wait until I get home to pick up a new one, plus if I find myself with unexpected free time away from home I always have it with me. One odd thing I haven't figured out - for some reason I'm more willing to read on the Kindle when I only have a few minutes. With a DTB I generally won't pick it up unless I have time to finish a full chapter, but that doesn't bother me on the Kindle. I don't know if it's the lack of page numbers, the *single page* layout, or what, but it doesn't bother me at all to stop mid-chapter any more.
These all apply to me, too.

It's almost like an addiction at this point, and I'm not sure why that is, although it's got to be partly that I always have a couple of books from which to choose, all in that nice small package, no matter the size of the books. But I find that even my other hobbies are languishing. It's hypnotic.

·
Registered
406 Posts
enwood said:
I read quite a bit more on my kindle, and so does my husband. I've also noticed that I've read books I never would have read before. Most of that is due to all the bargain books out there. If it's free or a couple bucks, I'll give it a go, whereas I never would have paid full price to buy it as a DTB.
That's certainly true of me, too. It's been interesting finding small publishers and indie authors to try.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've always made a point of reading one fiction, one non-fiction, plus about 7 monthly magazines (PC Gamer, Make Magazine and some trade publications for work). Now I've pared down the 'dead tree' material as much as possible to (still need my PC Gamer and Make Mag) but everything else is on my Kindle. I probably read just as much now, but I feel like I read more, maybe because the user experience is still new. I've had my K2 for about a month now and go nowhere without it, but then again I never left the house without ever bringing a book and two magazines. I do feel like my reading is more productive.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
yep, sure do read more, because it so easy to carry with me anywhere I go. There is also no need to wait for my books to come in from the library across town or no need to go the bookstore. Whenever I finish a book in a series I just order the next book when I finish one. (like I did for the Southern Vampire series.) Also when my professor or a friend recommends a book I sample it then and there (usually eventually buy it) so I have no list to lose

1 - 20 of 29 Posts