Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be a very stupid question, and im sure someone smarter than me will have a smart short answer. But why doesnt the kindle make any noise? I dont mean TTS or button/prompt/click/beeps I mean that low hum that laptops and comps have. Ipods even have a very low sort of electronic hum/vibration to it but the kindle seems completely silent. What is powering it that stays so quiet? It seems to me that it the kindle should put off some sort of low level activity. Please feel free to enlighten me

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have no idea... but calculators don't hum either.  Then again, calculators don't get on the internet.  But computers are humming usually because of accessing the harddrive or fans cooling everything down.  I imagine the Kindle just doesn't use enough power to get that hot so no need for fans and with technology like memory sticks to for storage instead of spinning discs... well you don't get the spinning hum of a drive either.  Then there's no hum from the screen because it has no lights.  Of course cell phones don't hum either... and they -do- get on the internet and have lit screens.  So my guess is A) No real heat so no fans B) no spinning discs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know, but I'd LOVE to figure out a way to make my right next page button click a lot less.  Or at least as quiet as my left next page button.  I can't stand how loud it is.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DawnOfChaos said:
I don't know, but I'd LOVE to figure out a way to make my right next page button click a lot less. Or at least as quiet as my left next page button. I can't stand how loud it is.
Omg! I had never noticed it before you mentioned it but my right next page click is alot louder than my left side also! Thats very odd I wonder if that is intentional? Another bizarre kindle oddity

·
Registered
426 Posts
Now you'll notice it too, whether you want to or not.  clicky, clicky clicky.  Like a freakin' cricket in my bedroom. 

wow.  I've got to get some sleep.  I'm way too bitter. tee hee hee.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I like the click. . .or maybe it's the feel . . . of the next page button. (on K1) When I go back (prev page) it feels mushy and I'm never quite sure the page turn registered until I actually see the page change.  Fortunately, I don't read in reverse very often!  :D

I concur on the 'no cooling fans or spinning disks' theory of Kindle silence.

Ann

·
Registered
78 Posts
koolmnbv said:
Ok this may be a very stupid question, and im sure someone smarter than me will have a smart short answer. But why doesnt the kindle make any noise? I dont mean TTS or button/prompt/click/beeps I mean that low hum that laptops and comps have. Ipods even have a very low sort of electronic hum/vibration to it but the kindle seems completely silent. What is powering it that stays so quiet? It seems to me that it the kindle should put off some sort of low level activity. Please feel free to enlighten me
My guess on the reason it doesn't hum, is because it already knows the words :)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I like the click. . .or maybe it's the feel . . . of the next page button. (on K1) When I go back (prev page) it feels mushy and I'm never quite sure the page turn registered until I actually see the page change.
I'll bet you like IBM keyboards, too. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I'll bet you like IBM keyboards, too. :)
I do like a keyboard that doesn't feel mushy.

During HS I worked 2 or 3 nights a week and every other Saturday at a law office. My job was just to answer the phones if anyone called and take messages for the lawyers for the next day. Wasn't a criminal firm so there weren't a lot of calls. Seriously. I'd be there from 5 to 9 and would always get all my homework done plus read 3 or 4 novels a week.

Anyway, there was an IBM Selectric typewriter that I was allowed to use to type up papers. It was a nice machine. I was taking a typing class one semester and it was torture to have class on the school's manual machines. I could barely do 40 wpm but could do well over 60 on the one at work.

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I wonder if there's a correlation between people who learned to type on manual typewriters (me) and those who like a "clicky" non-mushy keyboard (me).

Betsy

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I wonder if there's a correlation between people who learned to type on manual typewriters (me) and those who like a "clicky" non-mushy keyboard (me).

Betsy
Count me in as a manual typewriter/non mushy keyboard person. Of course many of our younger members are thinking,"What's a typewriter?." Let alone a manual one. ;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My next page button is pretty loud. I click and the dog's ear twitches. Every single time. EVERY time. click, twitch, click, twitch.

Melissa

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:

Betsy
Quite possibly.
My grandfather was a writer and used manual typewriters. He liked a particular model, a portable Olivetti, but it wasn't the sturdiest model built. He'd pound away at it for about a year and then it would start showing signs of wear, a key would stick or something, and it would get passed along to someone else in the family and he'd buy a new one, the same model every time. When everyone (maybe eight people) had a used Olivetti, he'd start over again with the eldest family member, so we each went through two or three of the things. When I finally bought my first NEW typewriter of course it had to be the same kind. :)

And when, years later, someone in my office tried to replace my IBM keyboard with a generic one I complained for a week until they changed it back.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
My Klassic Kindle isn't silent, if I hold it up close to my ear I can hear a click on key presses. Of course, can't really read with it there. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hazarding a guess, but I'd say the storage is the difference. Older iPods (Classic/Mini) and most laptops have traditional hard drives with moving parts which click/hum when the drive is being accessed. However, Kindle (and iPod Touch/Nano/Shuffle) use flash memory which have nothing moving to hum at you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Kindle doesn't need a fan to stay at operating temperatures, thus, no hum.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My KK makes such a slight sound that I had never really heard it before reading this thread.  When reading today I tried to pay attention to the page turns and only then did I hear them, didn't bother me at all.  I'm sorry that your page turns are so annoying to you and your little dog too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts