Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And that set off a search for hypotheticals. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wondered about Kindle, the electronic device. Roberts bore down.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032400137_2.html

I was driving home last night, listening to NPR's report on a case the Supreme Court was hearing yesterday. The reporter read quotes from the Justices and the Lawyers. I smiled when I heard that Justice Kennedy asked about the Kindle in a hypothetical scenario. The Kindle has been out for less then two years and it is worked it's way into a Supreme Court hearing. He didn't ask about the Sony E-book reader or any other e-book reader, he asked about the Kindle.

The case is interesting but I really don't want to discuss it here. I just thought the mention of the Kindle was cool and would be appreciated by many here.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
That *is* very cool!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's great that the justices are up on this new technology. Now if they would only come into the 20th century and allow oral arguments to be televised on C-SPAN....

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I can see our state's Supreme Court oral arguments on web cam.  Very cool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am a computer geek.  I am always on the bleeding edge of technology (or I am at the least, aware of what's out, what's COMEING out next etc.)

It always amazes me how much I am in the 1% of things.  :D  About 2 years ago I saw a report about a lobby group sending iPods to senators and congressmen with the intention that once they understood what it was, and how to use it that they would protect it from the evils of the RIAA.  I couldn't fathom then that there was ANYONE who didn't know what an iPod was, and the fact that elected officials were among them made me wonder what else they were unaware of.

I for one am glad to hear that one of the justices on the supreme court, has at least HEARD of a Kindle. 

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck, he heard of the Kindle and knew what it was for. The quote I heard included downloading content onto a Kindle.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was reading along last night an article from my Kindle version of Slate Magazine and in the middle of their report on the Supreme Court hearings that morning (the report started out in a jokey way) I suddenly see a Chief Justice talking about the Kindle and I thought, "What? it must be part of the earlier joke." But no.

After finishing the article, I went to my blog and put up the whole quote, if anyone's interested. It's at the top of course, since I did it only a few hours ago. It's a bit more colorful than the WashPost reported. Kennedy has been reading!

http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Awesome! I love seeing the whole world becoming enlightened about Kindle. It really is a game changing device, and I am not talking about video games! Someday it will be common to have scientific papers with bibliographies full of "Loc. 33174, Kindle Edition", and lawyers being able to carry full law books and look up references in seconds to help defend, or convict. Students, from elementary through college will be carrying all their books on small, lightweight devices. I love it! The wave of the future! And while eBook readers have been out for along time, and Kindle certainly isn't the only eInk device, it really seems to be leader of the pack by a long shot! So...does owning one make me trendy? LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts