Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just received an email from Amazon saying that a book of mine (the first in a series of 11) was chosen for a Kindle Monthly Deal for Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. I'm wondering what to expect. The book's usually $6.99, but they'll reduce it to $3.59. I wonder if maybe it won't sell so much because it's not $1.99 or .99.  I've done a search here, and the only results I can find are from 2015 (and although that author said he was a bit disappointed in the numbers, I'd kill for them!!) Has anyone had a Kindle Monthly Deal recently? I'd love to know what might happen, if that email really was a great Christmas present and cause for much celebration. Should I crack open the champagne...?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe I'm asking an obvious question here -

Does Amazon just decide to put you into the Kindle Month Deal ? Is there anything the author can do to influence it, or is it totally Amazon's decision to make?

Thanks for the help here!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Rimmo said:
Maybe I'm asking an obvious question here -

Does Amazon just decide to put you into the Kindle Month Deal ? Is there anything the author can do to influence it, or is it totally Amazon's decision to make?

Thanks for the help here!
Usually they'll email you, but some people have an option on their KDP dashboard now to nominate their books for a deal. I think it must be in beta, because I had it but now I can't find it any more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how they decide which book might be a good one for the deal. They sent me an email about six months ago about the same book, but ultimately they never chose it. Seriously, though, I think it's interesting that few people here have talked about it, only that one post from 2015. Maybe it's not a big deal at all...??

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just finished a monthly deal in November.

Kindle nominated me, I filled out a form, then when I was chosen, they told me when it would be. They set my prices at 99 cents.
Monthly deals are notoriously Meh. Mine barely moved the needle. Daily deals can have a much bigger impact on your sales.

But, either way, rumor is getting one means you're on the radar and they are testing you out for bigger things.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
I think I've had about a dozen(ish) Monthly or Daily Deals over the years. I always see an increase in sales numbers but, considering the discount, that doesn't necessarily translate to a big jump in overall earnings for the month. I still accept them when offered, unless I've got something else going on. You just never know whether you'll be one of the authors who get great results or one of the ones with so-so results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much, Carol. I thought as well...as it's free, I might as well give it a shot. Let's see what happens...! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really helpful replies guys, thanks so much!

I'm glad you guys can explain how these things happen, since Amazon seems in no hurry to do it themselves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And, DM, thanks so much for giving me a bit of hope that they might have a daily deal in mind for me in the future!! (I guess it'll depend on how the Monthly Deal goes...)

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
In the .Fr store, Amazon actually asks you which possible deals you'd like to sign up for (daily, monthly, seasonal).

On .com (and am the other major markets AFAIK), Amazon asks do you want one of these kinds of deals? Keep in mind it could be any of them or none of them, at any date in our range, but you have to say yes or no.

I've never most money because of a monthly deal but most have been a wash. I generally say yes to Amazon promo offers unless a book is new or I have other sale plans for it. I have one going for Dec and I wish I had said no because I am taking the book out of KU for a promo and I'd really like to make a USA Today run, but why would BookBub give me a .99 deal when my book has been free for a month?

So it goes. Perhaps when I release a bundle of the series I've rolled wide. I hear they love wide bundles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts