Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to people who name their Kindles. I've noticed a lot of people do this. I've never named a device before, and would feel kind of stupid, but I kind of like the idea of it. What did you name your Kindle? And to those who don't name theirs, why don't you?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't name inanimate objects either.  Lots of people here have named their Kindles, and they seem to have fun with it and that's great -- but it's not my thing.  Maybe I'm missing the whimsy gene.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Mine is named Archive, The. So it comes up first in front of my boyfriends. I got tired of sending books to his Kindle and not mine. ;)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I actually found that the name of my KK Aurora kind of just happened.  My favorite book as a child, Sleeping Beauty and the DG skin I have is Velvet Jewel which reminded me of the Aurora Borealis.  I had never named anything except my children and our pets but after naming Aurora I have also named my netbook, Ace.  I find it kind of fun and doesn't hurt anything, so why not?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I don't get naming it either.  It's not a pet.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Rasputina said:
I totally don't get the naming thing. I've never named any of my devices, or even my car for that matter.
Me 2, Im with Rasputina. Ive never named any devices,vehicles,bikes,appliances etc. But I did name my dog and my baby. :)

I don't see any harm or wrong in other people doing it, and it doesn't bother me I just personally have never done it and don't really 'get it'.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't do it either... we tried naming our first car, but it just didn't stick.  I remember growing up w/ cars that my parents had named, and those stuck... but hubby and I just can't do it with inanimate objects.  I get it, but just don't do it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This thread made me giggle. The reason a lot of people name their devices is due to identification and networking, not just to be cute. :D

All of my computers have names. If they didn't, it would be much harder to identify them when transferring files, using remote login, etc. The Kindle is no different. It is a computer. And it connects to the net. If you have multiple Kindles, it helps to identify them by name.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Since I am ALWAYS misplacing my Kindle, it has taken on the nickname of: Where's My Kindle?

My Amazon Kindle account is named Sailor, so when I buy a book it gets sent to: Sailor's Kindle.

Sailor

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Eh, the Kindle has a place for a name so mine got named.  I don't need to be reminded it's my Kindle everytime I pick it up, so I named the device there instead.  It doesn't mean I go around asking if anyone has seen Scheherazade if I happened to have misplaced it (which hasn't happened yet, knock on wood) but it's fun giving names to things.  My computers also have names on my wireless LAN which is also named.  If there's a place for a name it's more fun to give it one than to just be like "Living Room Computer" and being done with it.  My first car had a name too, but it was more of a secret thing as I never voiced it.  I guess it's sort of like giving a backstory to your characters in a novel.  You know it's there and that's enough.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
My kindle is my kindle.  My account at Amazon has my name on it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Naming my DX sounds tempting, but I don't know. Maybe if a good name pops up in my head, I'll use it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
reemixx said:
This thread made me giggle. The reason a lot of people name their devices is due to identification and networking, not just to be cute. :D

All of my computers have names. If they didn't, it would be much harder to identify them when transferring files, using remote login, etc. The Kindle is no different. It is a computer. And it connects to the net. If you have multiple Kindles, it helps to identify them by name.
Yeah, my computer has a name for the networks use, the same way my kindle has a name on Amazons account management page. But I don't use the name to refer to it in my everyday life. Which is what I think the OP was referring to. That is the part I don't get.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine's name is Ashterah, although I don't go around calling her that. I just liked the name, and the sight of "My Kindle" in the upper left hand corner of the screen bored me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've named my computers and my Kindle after favorite Heinlein "sentient computer" characters.

My desktop is Athene. My laptop is Minerva. My Kindle is Gay Deceiver, who was also an "air car," or roadable plane, but controlled by a versatile computer that becomes sentient after visiting alternate dimensions.

Heinlein has a wonderful "World As Myth" premise in The Number of the Beast. The 4 protagonists visit fictional worlds as new dimensions via a continua device installed in Gay, including Wonderland, Lilliput, Camelot, Barsoom, E.E. Doc Smith's Grey Lensman's universe, Pellucidar, and Oz.

Since my Kindle can take me to all these places, she is effectively my Continua Device. She is a Very Smart Girl.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Danariel said:
I've named my computers and my Kindle after favorite Heinlein "sentient computer" characters.

My desktop is Athene. My laptop is Minerva. My Kindle is Gay Deceiver, who was also an "air car," or roadable plane, but controlled by a versatile computer that becomes sentient after visiting alternate dimensions.

Heinlein has a wonderful "World As Myth" premise in The Number of the Beast. The 4 protagonists visit fictional worlds as new dimensions via a continua device installed in Gay, including Wonderland, Lilliput, Camelot, Barsoom, E.E. Doc Smith's Grey Lensman's universe, Pellucidar, and Oz.

Since my Kindle can take me to all these places, she is effectively my Continua Device. She is a Very Smart Girl.
Thank you for reminding me of a great read, I'll have to find The Number of the Beast again

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
intinst said:
Thank you for reminding me of a great read, I'll have to find The Number of the Beast again
Echoing that.

(Funny, I thought that with the Kindle, it would be easier to use those spare five minutes here and there for reading, instead of just late at night. So why is my to read/re-read list getting LONGER??)

I named mine because with a skin and a cover and content it has more personality than other electronic devices. In general I think it's much like having a personalized license plate, though --- something fun and harmless.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Figment said:
So what does this tell us, boys and girls? Could it be, perhaps, that those who stay up very late at night answering questions on KB lack imagination
There is no need to be snide. As Susan in VA said, the naming thing is fun and harmless so let's keep this thread that way too.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts