Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've just recently decided that I want a e-book reader after realizing I've got a pile of books in my room I haven't been able to read. The only time I have to get in some reading is when busing to school and in between classes, the problem is that my bag is so full of notebooks and texts I can't fit any of the larger paperbacks in them.

After a bit of searching on some readers, I'm liking the Amazon Kindle the most. The dilemma I'm having is whether or not the wait for Kindle 4 to come out. Now I know that no one knows when it's coming out as it could be as soon as August or as late as 2012, I'm just looking for some input on what you guys would do in my situation. It would be a bummer to get K3 and see the K4 release just a month or two afterwards with colour.

Thanks, and sorry for creating another one of these threads. ):

·
Registered
124 Posts
The dilemma you're facing is one I face every time I want to buy a new computer, laptop, phone, etc... the plain truth is that there will ALWAYS be something better on the horizon... if you just wait a few months.

To help mitigate that, I always try to buy the latest and best I can afford, so at least it won't become obsolete as soon.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is ALWAYS a problem.  ??? ??? ???  I know someone who bought a Kindle 2 JUST before Kindle 3 was announced, she whined for a week, but now she is quite happy with her Kindle 2. :)

I suppose the main question you should ask yourself are: "Do I want/need my Kindle now, or am I prepared to wait up to a year?"

And, try to gauge how upset you would be if Kindle 4 was released the very next week. :)

Then you always have the option of selling your old Kindle and getting the new one, so it also depends on your financial status.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Tony, welcome to Kindle Boards!

I waited and waited for a laptop to upgrade and finally bought it only to have the upgrade come out right after my return period ended, so I know what you are going through.  Only Amazon knows when the K4 is going to come out.  You do have thirty days to return it, so if a new Kindle comes out during that time you can return it and get the new one. 

My advice, is to buy an electronic when you are going to use it.  I bought the K2 in March and about six months later the K3s were announced, but I used my K2 everyday and didn't at all regret buying it.

Another thing to consider is if you like the Kindle right now.  The K3 can surf the net, play mp3s and audio books, has a basic calculator built in, has text to speech when publishers allow it, and has the Kindle app store.  I hope Amazon leaves all this in the K4, but who knows?  In the Nook update, it looks like B&N took out 3G, mp3s, audiobooks, and the games in the Nook update.

My guess is the rumored Amazon tablet will come out first but I could be completely wrong.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

This is a tough decision. I suppose I could wait as I do have the books that I've mentioned but the problem is finding space for it. Another thing is that I'm taking several English courses this semester and next semester and that requires the purchasing of novels and the Kindle would come in VERY handy in that regard.

Do any of you have speculations as to when this new Kindle will be released? To be honest, I find the Kindle 3 features very appealing, and I'd rather have buttons than a touchscreen. However, the major draw to the Kindle 4 for me is the rumours of colour e-ink. I know that this wouldn't really affect me very much because I'm mainly a fiction novel reader but it would be nice to know that my Kindle had that capability for when I wanted to read the odd magazine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My K2 arrived maybe 2 or 3 days before the K3 was announced.  I debated for awhile, but ultimately decided to keep my K2.  Really, that's about as much thought as I've put into the K2/K3 decision...excluding every time I happen to look for a different cover/sleeve for the K2.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
My opinion:

I'm not convinced there's a Kindle 4 actually in the works.  My feeling is that Amazon is focusing on the development of at least one size tablet device.

Even if they are working on a Kindle that is a new model relative to the existing version (I don't count the 'special offer' Kindles as they're substantially the same as the regular Kindle 3) I would not expect a release before the holiday buying season, based on Amazon's release history:  K1, November 2007; K2, February 2009; K3, August 2010.

And FWIW, Bezos has made it pretty clear -- even fairly recently -- that he doesn't think color e-ink is ready for 'prime-time' yet.  So I wouldn't expect the next generation Kindle to have color.  It might have the infrared touch screen as the recently announced Kobo and Nook do.  

As to magazines, well, they're not going to be the same on a 6" screen even if it's color. . . .unless you really are just interested in the articles, most folks vastly prefer magazines on a tablet type device.  Even the newspaper and magazine subscriptions via Amazon do not feature the same sort of layout as a paper version.

Incidentally, if a new model is announced/available within 30 days of your buying the existing version, Amazon will exchange it without any trouble.  You'd have to pay return shipping, though, I think.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
My opinion:

I'm not convinced there's a Kindle 4 actually in the works. My feeling is that Amazon is focusing on the development of at least one size tablet device.

Even if they are working on a Kindle that is a new model relative to the existing version (I don't count the 'special offer' Kindles as they're substantially the same as the regular Kindle 3) I would not expect a release before the holiday buying season, based on Amazon's release history: K1, November 2007; K2, February 2009; K3, August 2010.

And FWIW, Bezos has made it pretty clear -- even fairly recently -- that he doesn't think color e-ink is ready for 'prime-time' yet. So I wouldn't expect the next generation Kindle to have color. It might have the infrared touch screen as the recently announced Kobo and Nook do.

As to magazines, well, they're not going to be the same on a 6" screen even if it's color. . . .unless you really are just interested in the articles, most folks vastly prefer magazines on a tablet type device. Even the newspaper and magazine subscriptions via Amazon do not feature the same sort of layout as a paper version.

Incidentally, if a new model is announced/available within 30 days of your buying the existing version, Amazon will exchange it without any trouble. You'd have to pay return shipping, though, I think.
I have to agree with Ann, the next release is going to be a tablet. I think it will be awhile before a K4 comes out. While I don't consider they K3SO a different Kindle, they would not have just released it if the 4 was only a few months out. I consider it the same thing as when they went from the K2US to the K2i. I think it will be tablets this year and K4 next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
India Drummond said:
The dilemma you're facing is one I face every time I want to buy a new computer, laptop, phone, etc... the plain truth is that there will ALWAYS be something better on the horizon... if you just wait a few months.
Exactly. I was on the edge of buying a Kindle for a very long time, until last May I finally thought "to hell with it" and bought one, as I realized the DX essentially fulfills all my needs.

The future may bring a Kindle / another e-book reader that has a touchscreen and / or color display, but even then I would still be happy with mine, as both are features I don't consider essential for what I need in a reader. All I wanted and got was a slim device with a big enough screen, that can store dozens and dozens of books and on which reading almost feels like reading on paper.

If that is all you want in an e-book reader, too, then go for it now, because the current generation fulfills your needs as well. If you need color and a touchscreen, wait.

But don't wait to make sure you get the latest gadget, just to have features you won't even use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd get the Kindle 3 now :) Its not that expensive (even for my in my 3rd world country :p), and if you're worried, maybe get the cheapest one (special offers) so if Kindle 4 does come out then you havent lost too much on a K3 :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can always sell your Kindle to someone else when you're ready to upgrade to a newer model. (I see people selling Kindles all the time on Craigslist...) You may not get full price for it, but you can probably get back most of your money.

That's how I rationalized my decision to purchase my first Kindle! :)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
As said above, everything I've read about color e-ink indicates that it's nowhere near ready for market. If that's your concern, buy now!

If you're super-hot for a touchscreen, check into the new Kobo and Nook. It's probably the shape of Kindles to come long before color appears in anything except tablet (non-e-ink) form. Which, come to think of it, is probably the next Kindle: a cheap color tablet a la the Nook Color.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it is an e-reader.  I'm not really up on what the K4 will bring, but if you are looking to read books the K3 is a wonderful device.

I have an iPhone 3gs and would not trade it for an iPhone 4.  I'm perfectly happy with what I have.  An upgrade to a device does not mean you suddenly won't like the one you own.  I say go for it and get your Kindle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Frankly... the free 3G option is more important to me than the new touchscreen technology available on the soon-to-be-released Nook and Kobo. When I make the jump to the latest release of something, I usually pass the old item to one of my kids or keep as a spare. It worked with computers and makeup... it will work with e-readers! 

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I dont think there will be a Kindle 4 till color eInk is out, or at least some significant advance in eInk.  As Ann said, that almost surely won't happen till.2012, conceivably not then.

If you want an ebook reader, I'd by a K3 now.  I regret waiting as long as I did to buy my first Kindle.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Many of us who are so pleased with our K3s are concerned that any "upgraded K4" will not be an improvement but may have features that will detract from a dedicated e reader.

Go for the K3 !! and enjoy !

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It is a dilemma, but I think you would be safe getting a Kindle 3.  I think it will be supported and maintained for a long time.  I got a Kindle 3 for CHristmas last year and have not regretted it at all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts