Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a ripoff the Oasis about $100 more than the voyage. No thanks a total waste of money.

The voyage has the biggest advantage over the Oasis in that it has adaptive lighting which I love.

The display is the same so what's the point? The voyage is far better value than the Oasis. At almost $500 New Zealand and still duty and GST tax to pay it's totally rediculous to buy the Oasis and not worth the extra at all.

People buying the Oasis just for the charge cover is rediculous. It's not that it's lasting longer on charge it's that you got a backup battery charging up the main battery.

If that's your main concern just buy a usb battery as these charge phones etc anyway.

The Voyage and paperwhite you get a lot of reading between charges anyway. The charging case is just a gimmick and will add to weight anyway.

·
6,125 Posts
It's expensive for sure, but I don't think I would go so far as to say it's a rip-off - I think that's a little too simplistic.

As it happens, the Oasis isn't for me and after trying it for a while, I've returned it and will stick with my Voyage for the time being. But it's a completely personal preference and there are many people for whom the hardware changes on the Oasis are exactly what they've been waiting for. For those people, it's worth every penny, because they're getting exactly what they want from it.

If like me, you find the Oasis isn't for you, then of course you won't want to be spending a lot of money to get it, but that doesn't mean other people, with other requirements, won't feel differently to you. We all place different values on different things.

Luckily, you still have your Voyage to enjoy.  :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm sure many people feel the same way about the Voyage too compared to the Paperwhite. You know.. How can a person justify spending $100+ more for the Voyage? Personal preference. I'm happy that folks have choices to their personal unicorn! 🦄

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
67,674 Posts
As it happens, I have both a Voyage and an Oasis. The Voyage, with cover, costs $260 and the Oasis with cover costs $290. So the difference is, practically, only $30.

If you go with the leather Voyage cover -- same sort of leather as the Oasis cover -- the total cost is $295, so the difference is only $5.

One could argue, then, that for only $5, you get a thinner and lighter device, even with the cover, AND extra battery life, along with the same quality screen as before but with better lighting and physical page turn buttons. So, not really a rip-off. ::)

Oh, and, FWIW, as a rule 'round here, we do try to acknowledge that different people will have different requirements and different perceptions and ask that folks not use disparaging language towards those with whom they don't agree. :)

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I also have both the Voyage and the Oasis. The Voyage is a very fine device. As someone that must have buttons, it was the only one that had them at the time. But they weren't real buttons and hard to use on handed with my hands. The bezel being so narrow caused me to hit the screen and the device kept slipping out of my hand.

The weight distribution on the Oasis fixed that for me. And the wider bezel with actual buttons. For me its worth it. For others the Voyage is fine and for yet others they don't need buttons at all and get a Paperwhite.

I didn't buy the Oasis just for the cover. Its a system that makes it so the Oasis has the shape it does, is as light as it is and  still last long when setting down in the cover.

Its important to figure out for ones self what are the features one needs. I need and must have buttons, non negotiable. I must be able to hold the device without pain in my wrists and joints.

I have used the Voyage for like 15 months and its a very nice device. I did get some cramps and pain while reading, but made due. The Oasis is better for me in this regard.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
As it happens, I have both a Voyage and an Oasis. The Voyage, with cover, costs $260 and the Oasis with cover costs $290. So the difference is, practically, only $30.
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. You can buy the Voyage without a cover and then get a much cheaper (and I think, better) cover for it.

I bought a $12 cover for my Voyage. Actually, when I decided to buy it I found a $6 cover on Ebay and by the time I got around to ordering the Voyage I'd forgotten so I bought a $12 cover with it. The $6 cover is identical except for color. They're far lighter than the Amazon cover for the Voyage and I get emails from cows all the time thanking me for getting plastic.

I think it's reasonable to say that the Oasis is a lot more expensive. If it happens to suit you then maybe it's worth the difference, but it's still a lot more expensive. The Voyage is a lot more expensive than the Paperwhite. I prefer the Voyage but I'm not sure I prefer it by $80. I'm not sure I'd buy one again but I'm not sorry I have it.

Barry

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
denodan said:
What a ripoff the Oasis about $100 more than the voyage. No thanks a total waste of money.

The voyage has the biggest advantage over the Oasis in that it has adaptive lighting which I love.

The display is the same so what's the point? The voyage is far better value than the Oasis. At almost $500 New Zealand and still duty and GST tax to pay it's totally rediculous to buy the Oasis and not worth the extra at all.

People buying the Oasis just for the charge cover is rediculous. It's not that it's lasting longer on charge it's that you got a backup battery charging up the main battery.

If that's your main concern just buy a usb battery as these charge phones etc anyway.

The Voyage and paperwhite you get a lot of reading between charges anyway. The charging case is just a gimmick and will add to weight anyway.
Is the price difference worth it to everyone? Obviously not. I probably wouldn't have gotten one if I hadn't had a lot of gift certificate credit. But, having done so, it would definitely be worth it to replace it for me.

With cover, the Oasis is still lighter for me than the Voyage in the lighter-than-average-third-party cover that I used. For as many hours as I read a day, and for the fact that I carry it with me and have back problems, every ounce counts.

I never used the adaptive lighting on my Voyage and I prefer the buttons on the Oasis.

I agree that the whole extended battery life thing using the cover is a bit of a gimmick, but that's not really why I got the Oasis, so for me it's a moot point.

Ann in Arlington said:

If you go with the leather Voyage cover -- same sort of leather as the Oasis cover -- the total cost is $295, so the difference is only $5.
I'll note that the poster seems to be talking about New Zealand prices, so the disparity may be (apparently is) more than the differences are worth to him. Which is fine.

I worked in a quilt shop that sold premium sewing machines. People would come from time to time and complain about the price of the high end Husqvarna Vikings that we sold and say they could get a cheaper machine elsewhere. The shop owner would say (in a gentle, reasonable way) "No one has to have a Viking. Buy the cheaper machine if it's what you can afford. You have to pay the light bill, buy food, buy clothing. You don't have to have this sewing machine."

The Oasis is worth it for those who want the features it has. Not interested in those features? Definitely not worth it.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I purchased my Voyage as soon as it was announced because of the PagePress sensors. After reading on an original Paperwhite for two years I was tired of HAVING to navigate using the touchscreen. The extra price was worth it to me.
I purchased my Oasis as soon as it was announced because I was intrigued with the new shape, but the primary reason for purchase was real buttons again. The whole case/battery thing had no weight on my decision.
I tried the adaptive light sensor on the Voyage, but it annoyed me more than it helped because I couldn't get it configured properly so I turned it off. I don't miss it all on the Oasis.
But that is the cool thing. Amazon has a variety of e-ink readers at various price points so everyone can decide personally what features are important. Apparently I missed physical page turn buttons more than I realized :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I own a Voyage and love it.  I also bought the Oasis.  Sadly I returned the Oasis.  I liked it ok, but I missed the automatic brightness and actually the weight of the Voyage.  The oasis is very light weight but I found it kind of slippery to hold with one hand without the cover.  It also made my hand cramp with extended use and I was not completely satisfied with the lighting, if I put the brightness above 10 or 11.  Maybe it's my age, but sometimes I just wanted the screen a little brighter.    I had the 3G w/o so and just could not justify $400, when I found myself actually reading more on my Voyage.  But now that it's gone, I do kind of miss it.  Maybe I'll try it again at a later time.  I was very impressed with Amazons return system. I asked for a gift card in place of refund, 35 minutes after UPS was to pick up the package, ::) I had the gift card in my account!  Talk about fast.  I'm glad Amazon gives us so many choices.  I really want the 3 g though.  May have to order another Voyage with 3G.  Hmmm  ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I looked up today to see 3G availability even though I have a Wifi Oasis.  July 9 with merlot cover, July 7 with walnut cover and August something for black cover.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Choice is good. I have the Voyage. Never really liked it much. Went back to my Paperwhite, which is a fine device. Really didn't need another kindle, but......Got the Oasis, and was blown away. Size, weight, battery cover, buttons. It all works for me better than any other kindle I've had (my first was the kindle keyboard). I've learned enough over the years to know that different folks have different preferences. Right now Amazon is offering 4 different kindle models, starting at $79.00 (U.S.) and going up to $379.00. I think their product line is pretty smart. Choice is good.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
denodan said:

Well I guess people have different opinions. I love the Oasis, and I think that adaptive lighting stinks. I can love my Oasis, and you can stick with your Voyage.

Steve

·
Registered
322 Posts
It was time for me to upgrade from my PW2, and I decided it was worth the extra money for the Oasis over the Voyage.  I tend to like more expensive covers... so really not a big dollar difference at all for me since it comes with the cover,  and for me it was worth it for the smaller, lighter weight design, and built in battery cover. 

It is a lot of money for a Kindle, but I don't splurge on much, and since I've had my Paperwhite for nearly 3 years, it was time!

Amazon has a lot of great Kindle options, something for everyone.

·
Registered
466 Posts
David Pogue just released his Oasis review, which seems pretty fair. (Although I hate it when reviewers use "backlighting" when reviewing Kindles.) He makes some good points in comparing the different Kindle options and places his value amounts on the various feature differences. It's interesting. And the conclusion includes his opinion that "you get what you pay for; it's hard to call the Oasis a ripoff," which seems worth reading in the context of this thread...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/kindle-oasis-review-crazy-small-crazy-price-202303081.html

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
denodan said:

Can someone explain to me how this would work? I'm retired, read a LOT, and am sick of my Voyage always needing charging late at night just when I'm at the end of a book. I can plug it in and read with it that way, but with the cord having to go into the bottom, it's clumsy and eventually bends the charge cord to where it doesn't work well. I suspect plugging a USB into that bottom port wouldn't be any more convenient, but I'm curious about it.

I am one of those silly people who ordered an Oasis in large part because of the cover battery. If it doesn't solve the problem, back it goes.

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
ellenoc said:
Can someone explain to me how this would work? I'm retired, read a LOT, and am sick of my Voyage always needing charging late at night just when I'm at the end of a book. I can plug it in and read with it that way, but with the cord having to go into the bottom, it's clumsy and eventually bends the charge cord to where it doesn't work well. I suspect plugging a USB into that bottom port wouldn't be any more convenient, but I'm curious about it.

I am one of those silly people who ordered an Oasis in large part because of the cover battery. If it doesn't solve the problem, back it goes.
I use a battery charger quite often with my Apple devices. You plug a regular USB cable into the bottom and the other end into the battery. It's more convenient than a plug as you can have the battery close to you and have more flexibility.

With the Oasis's ability to flip, you can have the USB port at the top, so that might be more convenient for you if you do have to plug it in. I would recommend you read during the day with your Oasis out of the cover, and then put the cover on to read at night. I think you could get many hours that way. You'll have to experiment.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
GBear said:
David Pogue just released his Oasis review, which seems pretty fair. (Although I hate it when reviewers use "backlighting" when reviewing Kindles.) He makes some good points in comparing the different Kindle options and places his value amounts on the various feature differences. It's interesting. And the conclusion includes his opinion that "you get what you pay for; it's hard to call the Oasis a ripoff," which seems worth reading in the context of this thread...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/kindle-oasis-review-crazy-small-crazy-price-202303081.html
Thanks. The Oasis must be very good indeed, as Pogue pretty much hates anything Amazon; or that's been my impression in the past. Off to read....

Betsy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason for the battery cover is the poor battery life of the Oasis itself. It only lasts 3 weeks at 30 mins a week where the others are around 6 weeks, so the main battery has only half the life of the battery than  in the other kindles , to make it thinner put a smaller battery in, hense the need for the dual battery, else people would not buy it with half the life of the voyage or paperwhite.

But they claim 9 weeks reading at 30 mins so 3 weeks longer.

There is one Hugh issue here people are failing to realize, if the main battery is only lasting half the time, then it means it's charging twice as much as the paperwhite and Voyage,  so means your battery won't last as long before it's stuffed compared to the Voyage and paper white.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.