Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was using my Oasis today and noticed I couldn't get the brightness to pop up. Upon further poking at the screen, it appears the screen has become unresponsive. I restarted it several times to no avail. I'm at a loss at what to do because I bought a Merlot from Best Buy. And of course, they're sold out in all colors. So, I'm guessing I won't get a replacement. And it's a Merlot too, so I won't get one from Amazon until at least July. I'm just wondering if this has happened with anyone else. I'm extremely upset because I was planning on taking it with me on my 2 week trip next week. I don't even have a backup Kindle to use. I'm just lost now.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Annie said:
So, I was using my Oasis today and noticed I couldn't get the brightness to pop up. Upon further poking at the screen, it appears the screen has become unresponsive. I restarted it several times to no avail. I'm at a loss at what to do because I bought a Merlot from Best Buy. And of course, they're sold out in all colors. So, I'm guessing I won't get a replacement. And it's a Merlot too, so I won't get one from Amazon until at least July. I'm just wondering if this has happened with anyone else. I'm extremely upset because I was planning on taking it with me on my 2 week trip next week. I don't even have a backup Kindle to use. I'm just lost now.
I had my Oasis become unresponsive early on but I was able to press and hold the power button until it restarted and that fixed it.

I'd recommend that you plug it in and leave it plugged in over night just to make sure it's totally charged, and then see if you can restart it in the morning. I've had that work with unresponsive Kindles. Do you know if the software had updated?

Betsy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It updated the first day I got it. I'll try it out, but I'm not going to be too hopeful.  :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
So sorry you're having trouble, Annie...I'd be upset too.  I got my Oasis from Best Buy also and so far haven't experienced any problems (fingers crossed).  Sure hope restarting it works for you!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alas, it is still being unresponsive. I kept it charged overnight, and have restarted it. It looks like I'm headed to BB today when they open.

I went ahead and placed an order with Amazon last night in case things didn't turn out. Betsy has generously offered to lend me her Kindle. I'm trying to see if my brother will mail me his old K Touch.

Thank you all for your support during this unfortunate time. It's nice to be able to rant about these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
So sorry this happened to you Annie.  The only thing I can recommend is to call Amazon Kindle support.  Have them help you do a hard reset on the Oasis. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, they just gave me a full refund, since they couldn't replace it. My expected date for a new one from Amazon is between July and August. :/ I'll have to do with a borrowed Kindle in the meantime, I guess.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you haven't already sent it back try doing a factory reset on it.  It's surprising how many problems that fixes.  It's a lot more effective than just restarting it.

Barry

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
barryem said:
If you haven't already sent it back try doing a factory reset on it. It's surprising how many problems that fixes. It's a lot more effective than just restarting it.

Barry
Is there a way to do that without getting to the menu system? My understanding is that Annie can't get to the menu system because the screen is frozen, though perhaps I misunderstood.... And there's no pinhole as in some devices.

Betsy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, there wasn't any way for me get to the menu because my touch wouldn't do anything. If it had a pinhole like my old DX, I would have tried it. But I suspected that after multiple restarts, it wasn't going to be an issue I could fix.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Annie said:
Alas, it is still being unresponsive. I kept it charged overnight, and have restarted it. It looks like I'm headed to BB today when they open.

I went ahead and placed an order with Amazon last night in case things didn't turn out. Betsy has generously offered to lend me her Kindle. I'm trying to see if my brother will mail me his old K Touch.

Thank you all for your support during this unfortunate time. It's nice to be able to rant about these things.

Did you do a hard restart? By this I mean hold the power button in until screen starts flashing, even after get the box do you want to restart. Hold it in until the screen flashes worked for me a couple days ago and haven't had issues since.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LauraB said:
Did you do a hard restart? By this I mean hold the power button in until screen starts flashing, even after get the box do you want to restart. Hold it in until the screen flashes worked for me a couple days ago and haven't had issues since.
Yes, this was the only way I could get the Kindle to restart, since I couldn't access the menu anyway.

Though, I no longer have the Oasis, since I returned it this morning. :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience with my first Oasis. The screen would lock up and the unit would become unresponsive for tens of minutes. The device started to manifest a problem with menus and bookmarks randomly being selected as well. I think the glass surface was not mounted properly or had some kind of adhesive problem. One part of the screen seemed to always be active whether I was touching it our not and the device interpreted this as constantly touching the screen and would eventually lock up. I did the hard reset option which did not solve the problem. I called Kindle support and we did the factory default option. After all that the problem still reappeared. Amazon replaced the device for a new one and my new Oasis is functioning perfectly. The new Oasis never locks up, never selects random menus or bookmarks, and is very responsive.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, this is a first. I have yet to have a Kindle that goes completely wonky on me and finally I've just started having a problem (sounds like jmanrunner's).

Last night when reading, the menu system just popped up randomly and froze for about a minute. It did it a few times so i restarted the device and then it did it again and just froze. I turned it off last night and just tried it out again this morning at a cafe.

I tried loading another book this morning and the screen just started flashing then it froze. I restarted it again and it goes to the menu but once i open a book, it just pops up the menu system and it freezes.

Solutions or is this a hardware issue?

Thanks for any tips!

Stanley

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
That doesn't sound good.

Do you have a lot of books in it? Could a file cause some issues? You might want to try a reset of the Oasis. You'd have to load your stuff back on to it.

If you give Customer Service a call, they probably have you do that anyway I think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts