Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here some features I have heard people say the Kindle should have. What do you think it should have? Yeah, it should be cheaper but forgetting that, what should the new next Kindle have? I have to admit that some/most of these are nit-picky or have workarounds. I just wish they (read Amazon) would integrate them seamlessly into the Oasis.

1. Type-C port. May charge faster. Dump the idiot micro connector. Nothing should have a micro USB anymore

2. Add native support for epub format. Come on Jeff Bezos, let me check out books from the local library without jumping through hoops. I do it anyway, just make it do it natively.

3. Add native support for Adobe acsm (Yeah, like that will ever happen)

4. Color? Does it need color? Maybe for those that read graphic novels. I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "graphic" novel.

5. Immersion reading. Apparently, other Kindles have it. I didn't know anything about it but it seems that it is a feature that allows you to read along while the audio or perhaps the Audile book, plays, keeping in sync all the time. I decided to have a look at this feature on a tablet. Yup, it's there alright and nope, the Oasis doesn't have it. However, man does it slow my reading down and I read my Oasis a lot faster than the shiny tablet I was playing with.

6. A small handheld remote to flip the pages when it's propped up on a pillow when I'm reading in bed. I now read much faster since I've customized all the Oasis's attributes and used its protective cover to perfectly position its angle and distance. It now seems I'm constantly reaching over to tap the screen. It needs a small remote, not a mouse, a small remote. It's Bluetooth equipped so this should be braindead simple to do.

That's all I've heard about or can think of. I hope to God they don't start layering on security, passwords, and fingerprint readers. or retina scanners.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm all for a USB-C port. With fast charging capability.Crazy that it doesn't have one already. Color? If I want color I'll read off a tablet. I like the print just as it is.

My Oasis is my 5th Kindle and I'm pretty pleased with it just the way it is. Page buttons a big CHECK (but I have a Voyage as well). I really like the "warm light" feature- mainly the real reason I bought it.

I don't have problems checking out library books via Amazon. What I do have a problem with is when our library doesn't have Kindle format.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
Here some features I have heard people say the Kindle should have. What do you think it should have? Yeah, it should be cheaper but forgetting that, what should the new next Kindle have? I have to admit that some/most of these are nit-picky or have workarounds. I just wish they (read Amazon) would integrate them seamlessly into the Oasis.

1. Type-C port. May charge faster. Dump the idiot micro connector. Nothing should have a micro USB anymore
A 'nice to have' -- but I currently have 3 kindles I regularly use and I'd not be inclined to replace all 3 just for a port. Plus, my husband's phone uses micro USB so we'd have to have that sort of cord when we travel anyway. Overall: neutral
2. Add native support for epub format. Come on Jeff Bezos, let me check out books from the local library without jumping through hoops. I do it anyway, just make it do it natively.
I have no problem borrowing from the library. It's very rare that a book is available as an ePub but not Kindle. Though sometimes publishers hold off letting the library have kindle versions for a few months. No idea why. Only once has a book 'never' come available on Kindle via the library (though it was available for purchase for Kindle on Amazon.) I say 'never' because I decided to give up waiting and borrowed the ePub. Figured I could read it on my tablet, which worked well enough. Tried to read it via Kobo, but couldn't get the thing to transfer to the device. So, again: neutral. I wouldn't complain if the capability was there, but won't pay more for it. :)
3. Add native support for Adobe acsm (Yeah, like that will ever happen)
Well, now .... that was the format for the aforementioned library book I had to read on my tablet and wouldn't load on Kobo. So I'm not sure what the difference is?
4. Color? Does it need color? Maybe for those that read graphic novels. I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "graphic" novel.
Color would be a negative for me -- it almost certainly would cost much more and I don't need it. Sure, it'd be nice to see the covers in color, but reading is black and white. I think people who read graphic novels, etc. mostly do use tablets. Not sure eInk color would be able to compare, from what I've seen of it.
5. Immersion reading. Apparently, other Kindles have it. I didn't know anything about it but it seems that it is a feature that allows you to read along while the audio or perhaps the Audile book, plays, keeping in sync all the time. I decided to have a look at this feature on a tablet. Yup, it's there alright and nope, the Oasis doesn't have it. However, man does it slow my reading down and I read my Oasis a lot faster than the shiny tablet I was playing with.
Yes, this is a thing -- I don't see the need for me. I can see it being good for kids just learning to read, maybe, but most people I know either read or listen to audiobooks. Being able to sync between is nice for some, but not many do both at the same time.

It might be helpful for textbooks -- learning better by reading and listening. To have the feature on a regular kindle it would have to have sound which would be added cost and, again, not something I'd want to pay for.
6. A small handheld remote to flip the pages when it's propped up on a pillow when I'm reading in bed. I now read much faster since I've customized all the Oasis's attributes and used its protective cover to perfectly position its angle and distance. It now seems I'm constantly reaching over to tap the screen. It needs a small remote, not a mouse, a small remote. It's Bluetooth equipped so this should be braindead simple to do.
This falls squarely in the realm of first world problems, from my perspective. :D I mostly read on a Voyage and a Paperwhite. I prefer the size and shape. I do have an Oasis -- because I wanted to try it out and see whether it was really better -- but I don't prefer it, honestly. Except I've found I like to use the Oasis in bed because I can be all wrapped up and still turn pages with the buttons even with my hands under the covers. But a remote? Nah ... that's just one more thing that'd get lost! And to put a remote sensor would, again, be more cost. Overall, it would be a negative for me.

That's all I've heard about or can think of. I hope to God they don't start layering on security, passwords, and fingerprint readers. or retina scanners.
You can already set a password for the device. I don't bother, but I can see it being useful if a parent, say, reads books they'd rather their kids not just yet.

My only 'wish' at this point would be a dedicated, physical "go home" button. But, even so, as it is, it only takes two taps, so that's also very much a 'first world' problem. :D

I sort of think "they've gone about as fur as they can go" with features and design at this point. So I think I'll be content as long as they're always available, even in their present configurations. I mostly don't want them to discontinue the eInk line -- which is what Barns & Noble did with it's Nook. Because I really REALLY prefer the eInk to a tablet or phone screen. And I much prefer the dedicated device to the distractions on a tablet or phone. Don't get me wrong: if you can only afford one device -- a tablet is great -- very versatile and satisfactory for many applications. But if you just want to read, the eInk kindles are superior, in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
I'm firmly in the camp of not needing any more "tablet" features in an e-ink Kindle.

I don't need color. If my reading consumption was largely graphic novels or magazines, I'd use a tablet.

USB-C port would be fine, but I really don't need another different cord to charge (I use the fast charge Kindle micro-usb for multiple devices). I appreciate that the 4 different Kindles currently in use in my home (along with my phone) can all be charged from the same cord. As of now, I don't think micro-usbs are idiotic.

A remote page-turner doesn't sound particularly advantageous to me. You still have to push a button, it's just a difference in the distance from which you do it.

I don't have to jump through any hoops to get library books to my Kindles other than needing to use my laptop rather than being able to do it directly from the device. Like Spotsmom, the bigger issue would be my library carrying more Kindle format books.

The biggest game changers for me since my original K1, were the addition of lighting and ability to adjust weight and style of fonts. Those two things have been available for years now. Anything else are just bells and whistles that seem to decrease battery life much faster.

My wish list would actually be 2 things that are a regression to the original Kindle: An easy user-replaceable battery and a memory card slot.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The only suggestion of any appeal is recognizing epub as a native format. It is trivial to convert however and thus I care little.

I like the small USB port; easy to use, readily available. Plus it allows the unit on which it is installed to be thinner.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I want the next Oasis to be usable in a magnetic cover like the original Oasis 7 incher. I often like to read without the weight of the cover. But the current Oasis covers have to be snapped in and out and that always feels like I am about to break the Kindle or cover. So I leave it uncovered which I am not comfortable with but better than reading one handed with the cover on.

Would prefer the type C connector but don't need color.

Would like the epub format but have had no trouble with Kindle choices. My local library system does not work with Kindle formats at all.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
All of our phones, tablets, and even laptops now have USB-C connectors. I actually made it to my mom's this last time without a micro cable for my Kindle. Good thing DH had one in his bag. So that's something I would like to see. In fact, I really don't want to buy another Oasis unless the connector changes. I have switched back to a different Kindle since the battery on the Oasis has gotten horrible about holding a charge.
I think at this point, native epub support might bring in new users. I am so locked into Amazon for books, but occasionally I come across an out of copyright book that is available only in epub.
I think a remote might be an neat optional feature. It would make reading on the treadmill a little easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Type-C is a must. It's going to happen no matter what, simply for the fact USB 2.0 is dying to dead. Type-C is USB 3.x which charges faster besides being ambidextrous. The question is when.

2. epub should be native to Kindle. It doesn't matter if you can still find the title in mobi, most libraries and free books are epub. Jeff charges more than enough to make a profit on the Kindle, he doesn't have to squeeze every nickel out of us. There are tons of free books that are just not available in mobi and more than a few folks who find it a chore to convert epub to mobi. My point is that at this price point, they shouldn't have to.

3. A replaceable battery probably will never happen because it runs counter to weight reduction. Batteries will improve but this is a custom battery and it's going to start that way I'm willing to wager. The Type-C will help alleviate some of the battery woes.

4. A memory slot it absolutely should have as well. A micro SD card is universal, cheap, incredibly small, light, it would add virtually nothing to the weight, most phones have them and they now go up to what? 512 gig? I'm not sure I could read that much in two lifetimes. There's also nothing on the horizon, that I know of, that is going to replace it.

5. Color? I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't use it. Maybe as an option? I don't want to say someone shouldn't have this because I wouldn't use it.

6. I still want my hand remote. Yeah, it stung a bit when it was called a "first world problem" but heck, I live in the first world. I like it here. I want a page flipper. I'm willing to pay for it.

7. Put back in the immersion reading option. It was pointed out that kids use it to learn how to read as one use of it. That's brilliant!

The bottom line is that the vast majority of things that folks have asked for in the next Kindle....are almost nothing. They're no-brainers. Amazon could do them while in a coma. Maybe Amazon is so big they've become stupid.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
The only suggestion of any appeal is recognizing epub as a native format. It is trivial to convert however and thus I care little.
Out of curiosity: how do you convert? And how do you deal with copy protection. And what about that acsm format, or whatever it is? Thoughts appreciated. :)

I still say I don't see it as a huge problem though -- I'm just curious since you mentioned converting. I've heard of Calibre for years but when I tried it (at least 10 years ago) it seemed clunky and non-intuitive. So I didn't do much with it. Maybe it's better now? Or there's some other method.

If there are books in ePub and NOT in kindle/mobi format, I've not come across any -- well, except that one weird library book I mentioned. There is a kindle edition; why the publisher didn't make it available via Overdrive as a kindle file I don't know. It didn't make me buy it instead. I did eventually borrow it, but only because it was part of a series I'd been very much enjoying. I might not have for something I was wishy washy about.

My wish list would actually be 2 things that are a regression to the original Kindle: An easy user-replaceable battery and a memory card slot.
I don't disagree regarding either thing, but I haven't personally had problems with either batteries nor space, so ..... :)

The biggest game changers for me since my original K1, were the addition of lighting and ability to adjust weight and style of fonts. Those two things have been available for years now. Anything else are just bells and whistles that seem to decrease battery life much faster.
You're probably right about this ... Even the things I concede would maybe be nice to have, I'm not really interested in paying extra for at this point, as long as I can read on a clear, well lit screen, in the print style/layout of my choice. :)

It's pretty remarkable when I compare my first kindle -- $360 back in 2008 (I got mine after the first price drop) with those I have now, one of which only cost $89 -- the advancements have been amazing. In early years there were giant steps in usage improvements and design -- with decreasing cost; lately it's been incremental tweaks without price reductions but, rather, a higher price on devices with high end features. Which is fair: a low end model that's completely serviceable for the extremely price conscious, a 'Cadillac' version for those who want all the bells and whistles, and a mid-range for the average reader who just wants excellent value for money. :)

It is fun to speculate -- and interesting to see what's important to people. :) I still can't fathom value in a remote, for example -- though it has just occurred to me that as I get much older and may need huge print, I can imagine a device that lets you use the TV screen as the reader screen -- no more eInk :( but large print! :D In that case, you'd need a remote to turn the page! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of curiosity: how do you convert? And how do you deal with copy protection. And what about that acsm format, or whatever it is? Thoughts appreciated. :)
You can use Calibre, It's free but there is absolutely a learning curve. You have to go and get a separate plugin to get rid of the copy protection and it may or may not work. You also have to match the plugin version to the version of Calibre. As I said, there is a learning curve. There is a program you can buy called Epubor Ultimate. It works really well. It's much easier to use. Always removes DRM, copy protection, no matter if it's epub or Adobe's craziness. However, it just converts. It doesn't send the book to your kindle like you can set up Calibre to do. You can either cable to your Kindle, a very easy thing to do, or set up email to it, a less easy thing to do.

Calibre has a search function for ebooks that lets you look for them from a myriad of sources. I have found many places that have a lot of epub books for free that the only mobi version available you have to pay for.

So you see, epub should be native to Kindle. I really resent it not.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
Thanks, I might try the Epubor Ultimate -- not that I expect to need it much.

FWIW, sending to kindle is dead simple, from my perspective. Once I have the file on my computer, I just right click and do it via an applet that's readily available to download from Amazon (called "Send to Kindle"). Set it up with your Amazon log-in info and it works great. (I'm on a Windows based machine.)

And, for me, there are so many books available on Amazon inexpensively to buy, or to borrow via Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading, or available via one of the multiple libraries I have access to, that I don't have a need to search elsewhere for books. :)

·
5,898 Posts
I don't feel the need for a USB C connector - yet. All my devices except one still use the micro USB so it's the one WITH the C connector that's the nuisance at the moment - I have to put a little adapter on the end of the cable every time I want to charge it.

No desire at all for colour - I use an e-ink Kindle just for reading regular books and I don't need it to be anything other than black and white. Colour is what your tablet is for. Wouldn't want to pay extra for it.

It would be good to be able to read epubs on a Kindle - in the UK all library books are epubs - no Kindle/mobi at all. I use a Kobo to read them - though I can, if I want, put them through Calibre and convert to AZW3 or mobi. I can't see Amazon doing it - they'd have to increase the price of their devices quite a bit if they thought they weren't guaranteed users having to go to them for content as they are now. (Yes, some of us know how to circumvent the system when we can be bothered but I would guess the vast majority of users wouldn't have a clue and are therefore bound to Amazon for their content).

Couldn't be bothered with a remote control - I'd lose it, never have the right batteries for it, or just generally forget to use it. I don't have a problem with tapping the screen, even when reading in bed - once I'm immersed in a book I don't even notice I'm doing it. Again, wouldn't want to have to pay more for a Kindle to get it.

Would love to see the same kind of sorting options, both the auto ones and the optional ones, that they have on the Kobo but I imagine that would probably mean re-writing their code from the ground up and that's not going to happen.

The auto sort options would also rely on the metadata being correct and I don't think it is a lot of the time. That's something I would like to be able to correct directly on the Kindle - even if it's only for the title and author. (I'm constantly irritated by a wordy description of the book being included in the title.)

The OP is hoping for the changes on the Oasis, but I don't have one (I did get one but sent it back - I couldn't get past the page turn buttons and especially the lopsided bezel * shudders *) so I'd be looking for it on other models. Bring back the Voyage I say! Wouldn't it be great if you could build your own Kindle model from all the different options, like you can with PCs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't feel the need for a USB C connector - yet. All my devices except one still use the micro USB so it's the one WITH the C connector that's the nuisance at the moment - I have to put a little adapter on the end of the cable every time I want to charge it.

No desire at all for colour - I use an e-ink Kindle just for reading regular books and I don't need it to be anything other than black and white. Colour is what your tablet is for. Wouldn't want to pay extra for it.

It would be good to be able to read epubs on a Kindle - in the UK all library books are epubs - no Kindle/mobi at all. I use a Kobo to read them - though I can, if I want, put them through Calibre and convert to AZW3 or mobi. I can't see Amazon doing it - they'd have to increase the price of their devices quite a bit if they thought they weren't guaranteed users having to go to them for content as they are now. (Yes, some of us know how to circumvent the system when we can be bothered but I would guess the vast majority of users wouldn't have a clue and are therefore bound to Amazon for their content).

Couldn't be bothered with a remote control - I'd lose it, never have the right batteries for it, or just generally forget to use it. I don't have a problem with tapping the screen, even when reading in bed - once I'm immersed in a book I don't even notice I'm doing it. Again, wouldn't want to have to pay more for a Kindle to get it.

Would love to see the same kind of sorting options, both the auto ones and the optional ones, that they have on the Kobo but I imagine that would probably mean re-writing their code from the ground up and that's not going to happen.

The auto sort options would also rely on the metadata being correct and I don't think it is a lot of the time. That's something I would like to be able to correct directly on the Kindle - even if it's only for the title and author. (I'm constantly irritated by a wordy description of the book being included in the title.)

The OP is hoping for the changes on the Oasis, but I don't have one (I did get one but sent it back - I couldn't get past the page turn buttons and especially the lopsided bezel * shudders *) so I'd be looking for it on other models. Bring back the Voyage I say! Wouldn't it be great if you could build your own Kindle model from all the different options, like you can with PCs?
Linda, get ready to trash your micro USB...Type-C is coming no matter if you want it or not. They're phasing out micro due to the advent of USB 3.x. It's not just a widget change. It actually does something.

I agree with the sorting situation. I have a metric ton of books on mine and it is a visual mess. As far as that being a major re-write it's not but even if it was Jeff B. has the profit margin to support it.

I'm still lobbying for the remote! My TV has a remote, My thermostat has a remote...even my dog has a remote! You know, those training collars that buzz (not shock!) to get his evil-minded sheltie attention. I think my Kindle should be so tamed.

The Micro SD card, now that it has been brought up, is on the must list. Having unlimited space is incredibly attractive.

I'll never give up lobbying for native epub support. I think it's unconscionable it doesn't have it.

The Kindle costs enough that they could have a much larger ala cart purchase system. Want it super inexpensive? Ok, No memory slot, full of ads, black & white, mobi only, no remote, etc. What a loaded-out model? Check, check,check and check and Jeff B. gets another bazillion...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like a good wish list...

Epub would be nice, but it's not crucial for me. USB-C, well, that'll get here when it gets here -- as long as I can get the thing charged, I'm happy. Micro SD would be nifty to the zillionth power.

What I'd really like to see is a re-incarnation of the Kindle DX -- an e-ink reader with a 10-inch screen and enough oomph to it to read a BIG pdf (and micro SD to store a lot of 'em). The big Fire tablet is nice, but a long reading session on it is hard on my ancient eyes; it's great for a movie, but as far as I'm concerned for reading nothing beats e-ink.

Bests to all.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I too have been wanting a hand remote. I feel strain in my wrists and neck after reading on a Kindle and the remote would solve that. My doctor was the one to suggest it.

On a new Oasis, I would like to have soft material around the edge, like the Voyage does. Soft, grippy material on the thick bezel with page turn buttons would also be welcome. I have an Oasis 1 and an Oasis 2 and neither feels comfortable in my hand.

Although I suspect there will be a refresh of the Oasis line, I am hoping for something different. My number one wish is too have a new Kindle in the traditional form with page turn buttons on the edge of the bezel. They were like that on the first two versions of the basic Kindle and the Kindle Keyboard. They could be an option so people can order with or without them.

I would like the Voyage, Paperwhite and Basic to have a software update so the the page can be oriented in all four directions (one hundred and eighty degrees to both normal and landscape). Countless times I have not been able to orient the page the way I need.

It would be great to be able to toggle Collections so that books not in a collection can be sorted first before Collections.

I would like users to have the option of inputting their own metadata such as title, sort column, author and genre. This metadata would just be for that user, separate from the publisher’s.

Finally, I would like to keep the charging port as is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd forgotten to put that on my list, landscape mode. I too have wanted that on more than one occasion. The folks that make covers could easily adapt to turning the Oasis 90 degrees.
There is so much profit in the Oasis that there is more than enough headroom to be all things to all people and still buy jeff his own country.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure there is much profit in the devices, per se. My recollection of analyses done some years ago is that the things are pretty much sold at cost. Even the higher end models but definitely the lower end models. The goal is to make money selling the books -- which is another reason why I don't see them adding ePub functionality unless they make ePubs available to buy through Amazon.

Of course, that could have changed; I've not seen an analysis lately and actually haven't gone looking ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts