Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Been expecting this. I didn't realize they would release it so soon though.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It was gonna happen soon or later. Cool  :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmmm, I'm going to have to get this app... I wonder if I can link my amazon account somehow so if I happen to be out can continue reading Kindle content even if I don't have my Kindle.  I could only stand reading from the screen for a little bit at a time though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been playing around with it a bit. I added the book I'm currently reading and it did sync to the last page I was on.  It will definitely be handy to have to get in a few pages of reading when I don't have my Kindle with me.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
it says it will work with iTouch too - anyone try that yet - we don't have iPhone but I do have iTouch

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The details from Amazon is here at the Frequently Asked Questions about Kindle for iPhone page. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200298470)

To access your Kindle library and shop for Kindle books at Amazon.com from your iPhone or iPod touch, you'll need to visit the iPhone App Store and download the Kindle for iPhone application. To install Kindle for iPhone: Visit www.apple.com/iphone/appstore/ by tapping the App Store icon on the home screen of your iPhone or iPod touch.

You can also get the application through the iTunes Store. Search for "Kindle for iPhone" or find it in the alphabetical list of applications. Follow the on-screen install instructions. When your installation is complete, simply tap the Kindle for iPhone icon on your iPhone and iPod touch to start accessing or building your Kindle books library.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also I called my mom and had her try it on her phone even though she does not have a kindle she does have an Iphone and she was able to access my account and books so it does apparently work on multiple phones. Not sure if it was meant that way or just a glitch I can't imagine they didn't know people would try that. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
From our Kindle blog:

Amazon releases Kindle iPhone app

Kindle books can now be read on iPhones. Amazon has released an iPhone app which can read e-books from Amazon's Kindle Store - the first non-Kindle device with that capability.

This opens up the Kindle Store for purchases from people who may not have a Kindle.

And, for people who have both a Kindle and an iPhone, Amazon's WhisperSync feature keeps track of where you left off in a book as you switch between reading from your iPhone or your Kindle.

The Kindle for iPhone app is free and available for any iPhone or iPod Touch, with firmware 2.0 or higher.

From Amazon's FAQ page for Kindle for iPhone:

The entire selection of books available for reading on Amazon Kindle can also be read on Kindle for iPhone. You can also download free book samples from the Kindle store and read the first chapter of a book before you decide to buy.

Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs, and personal documents cannot be viewed on Kindle for iPhone.

Some screenshots of the Kindle app:

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Kristus412 said:
Also I called my mom and had her try it on her phone even though she does not have a kindle she does have an Iphone and she was able to access my account and books so it does apparently work on multiple phones. Not sure if it was meant that way or just a glitch I can't imagine they didn't know people would try that. Guess we'll see.
In fact, you should now see both of those iPhones under your "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon. And when you purchase from Amazon's site, you'll see both iPhones listed under the "Send wirelessly to..." option.

I believe (but haven't confirmed) that those multiple iPhones will count as among the six devices that your Kindle Store content can be synced to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow - I don't even have my iPhone yet (waiting for the anticipated June update!), and I've downloaded this. It will complement my Kindle selections; certainly WON'T replace it!

Anything that increases the popularity of Amazon's Kindle Store eBooks is good for all of us! And maybe introducing more people to it on the wildly popular iPhone will have a "halo effect" on increasing Kindle sales?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Harvey said:
In fact, you should now see both of those iPhones under your "Manage Your Kindle" page on Amazon. And when you purchase from Amazon's site, you'll see both iPhones listed under the "Send wirelessly to..." option.

I believe (but haven't confirmed) that those multiple iPhones will count as among the six devices that your Kindle Store content can be synced to.
Yes they are! Great information to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just d/l'd Kindle for iPhone. So far so good - it grabbed everything archived at Amazon, and it syncs to the last page read, no problem. I'm soooo happy. The one downside of reading on my Kindle vs my iPhone was that I couldn't read in my kids' rooms while putting them to bed (they do fine with the minimal light from the phone when I angle it correctly, but not with a booklight....). But now I can :) Yay! It would be cool if there were some way of getting personal docs onto it - I mean, I already have most of them on the phone, but in a different reader, so they don't sync to the kindle. Oh well. Still cool :)

1 - 20 of 146 Posts