Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSN has an article on their homepage now.  Titled "The Kindle Revolution"  "Will Amazon's reading machine replace the printed book?"

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is an interesting article with some pretty bold predictions.  As a publishing professional, I still don't believe that books will go away entirely, especially textbooks, but time will tell...

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The same article is in the most recent (paper) Newsweek.

·
Registered
92 Posts
aaco said:
This is an interesting article with some pretty bold predictions. As a publishing professional, I still don't believe that books will go away entirely, especially textbooks, but time will tell...
Textbooks should be FIRST. A student with ALL their textbooks on a Kindle would be the IDEAL. I remember my niece carrying 3-4 text books in her backback and practically falling over because of it. Imagine a folio with a pad of paper, a pencil and a Kindle in it being ALL she had to carry.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
SimonStern2 said:
Imagine a folio with a pad of paper, a pencil and a Kindle in it being ALL she had to carry.
Imagine - a tablet notebook & a Kindle - that's all student's need;

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Having read the article now - I would add a couple of other concerns: libraries for those of us who will never be able to afford this technology, at least for the foreseeable future (beyond the foreseeable future, all bets are off. lol). Even though one might argue that cell phones have become ubiquitous so the cost factor will go away - those cells that everyone can get don't come with all the bells & whistles and services. Our post-secondary educational system is already at risk of being out of reach except for the very rich or very poor; I hope libraries won't go the same route.

(Is this heresy on the Kindle Boards?)

·
Registered
92 Posts
CegAbq is Member #2880 said:
Having read the article now - I would add a couple of other concerns: libraries for those of us who will never be able to afford this technology, at least for the foreseeable future (beyond the foreseeable future, all bets are off. lol). Even though one might argue that cell phones have become ubiquitous so the cost factor will go away - those cells that everyone can get don't come with all the bells & whistles and services. Our post-secondary educational system is already at risk of being out of reach except for the very rich or very poor; I hope libraries won't go the same route.

(Is this heresy on the Kindle Boards?)
To my mind, it is LESS expensive to build the reading devices than to maintain a building. It's less expensive to maintain a central repository of books on hard drives than a large city funding 4-5 libraries.

When I was in college, I spent more than $359 on books in a single year, taking two classes a semester. I'd have MUCH rather spent the $359 up front for a Kindle, and paid $9.99 for each textbook. I could then also keep the textbooks indefinatly, and the books AND my notes would be searchable.

I really like the idea. I carry over 1,000 albums worth of music with me on my iPod. Why not carry my library of books with me on my Kindle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts