Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was very skeptical about the iPhone/Kindle app and decided I wouldn't bother with putting it on my iPhone. However, my husband has an iPhone -- but no Kindle and no interest in one -- and he was interested in the app as a way to access some of the many books I have purchased on my Kindle. So we just downloaded it.

First, the download was fast and easy. He has the 3G iPhone so everything seems faster on his than on my old 4GB original model. Once it was downloaded and installed, I typed in my Amazon login and PW and voila! There we were -- 125 archived items. I picked two books for him and they also seemed to download instantly. We put the phone with airplane mode "off" and checked the book -- it seems that the whole file is there. You are not accessing it "on the fly" as you read.

The navigation through the books feels familiar. You can go to the table of contents, cover, or select a specific location. All the navigation is Apple intuitive so if you are used to the iPhone/iTouch, you'll be moving around instantly.

The screen looks -- great. This is what I was expecting not to like and I was amazingly surprised. The font is a good size and easily readable. Swipe, swipe to easily move through the pages. But...get ready....there's color. Okay, we've all gotten used to living in a black & white world with our Kindles and that's fine. However, I had one book, Stolen Innocence, which I knew had a photographic insert. I downloaded it to the iPhone and there it was with photos--in color. It was really something to see. First I saw them in 4-scale grey, then 16-scale (much better) and now color! Wow!

I know I don't want read a whole book on the iPhone but having this option to look at pictures (and maps, charts, or whatever) is really very cool. And knowing my husband, he will be using this for reading.

I was a skeptic this morning but I have to say, I am impressed, 12 hours later.

L

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
I'm impressed too. By your review!

And by the technology. If the iPhone weren't on AT&T, I might have switched, but I use my Samsung for video more often than one would think.
If I could get the iphone through Verizon I'd be first in line to buy it...I'd use too many minutes with AT&T because everybody I know has Verizon

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks for the review Les. I'm still pondering a potential iphone purchase. My phone is on its last leg..lasted a good two years. This review of the kindle app will be a great addition the waying of the purchase.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
Thanks for the review Les. I'm still pondering a potential iphone purchase. My phone is on its last leg..lasted a good two years. This review of the kindle app will be a great addition the waying of the purchase.
I'm past 2 years of my 2nd Verizon contract and have gotten their usual update ads.

I actually want a Blackberry but they support only the Storm, which many say is sort of wretched.

So I'm waiting for something better, but I wonder if Bezos is planning this app for the Blackberry phones as well. There was talk they'd make them available on several of these if they could make a good deal for their partners and themselves.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
One thing I like about the blackberry...I think (keyword:think) it supports windows programs. I want to sync my laptop and phone improve my time management skillz. (I'm going to be so good at it.) I would be nice if Bezo made a kindle app for the other smart phones and pda's..then i can share an account with my aunt and uncle who are starting the read my DTBs (the more recent books I have of those series I have on my K)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
My phone is about to die and I ran across a refurbished 16GB iphone today for less than $200 and a 8GB for less than $100.

I'm seriously, seriously considering it. I already have AT&T and have no intention of moving to anybody else. I've actually been with them for at least a dozen years (originally Cingular). I have a data plan on my phone already and use my ipod touch whenever I can. I love my ipod and can only imagine how much I'll enjoy having an iphone...decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the review Leslie!

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
We have Verizon and I have a windows mobile device which I quite like.  If I need to I can activate a data plan and use it as a web browser, though right now I don't use it as anything more than a phone/contact list.  I do like that it sync's directly with Outlook.  I'd love to have a Kindle app for it, though I do almost always have my Kindle right next to me.  Hmmm.  Think I'll ask CS if it's a possibility for the future. . . I'll report back if they have anything useful to say.

Ann

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Nice review, Leslie. I agree, it's cool and useful for a lot of things, even though I wouldn't choose to read an entire book on that iPhone screen. But I can see doing so for a chapter or two!

I think there is a way to do screenshots....but I don't know how Smiley
Here's how to take a screenshot of an iPhone:

1. Navigate the iPhone to the screen you want to capture
2. Hold the Home button, and press and release the on/off button on the top of your iPhone. Your screen will flash, letting you know that the screenshot was taken.
3. Navigate to your Camera Roll library (Photos) to find the screenshot image.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Harvey said:
Nice review, Leslie. I agree, it's cool and useful for a lot of things, even though I wouldn't choose to read an entire book on that iPhone screen. But I can see doing so for a chapter or two!

Here's how to take a screenshot of an iPhone:

1. Navigate the iPhone to the screen you want to capture
2. Hold the Home button, and press and release the on/off button on the top of your iPhone. Your screen will flash, letting you know that the screenshot was taken.
3. Navigate to your Camera Roll library (Photos) to find the screenshot image.
Thanks for this tip, Harvey! This is great. Wait 'til I show my husband....this will be the first time I've learned something on the iPhone before he has. ;D

L

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the concept of having my Kindle books on my I-phone.  My husband just bought me an I-phone so I have been busy trying to set it up.  I cannot figure out how to get my Kindle books to my I-phone.  Could you please give me a detailed explanation as I am not very tech-sauvy. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dris said:
I love the concept of having my Kindle books on my I-phone. My husband just bought me an I-phone so I have been busy trying to set it up. I cannot figure out how to get my Kindle books to my I-phone. Could you please give me a detailed explanation as I am not very tech-sauvy.
Hi Dris, welcome!

First, download the iPhone Kindle app to your phone. Once that is done, go to the home screen. You'll see a choice for "archived items." Select that. The first time you use it, you probably will have to enter your amazon login and password, but only the one time. From there, the phone will show a list of all the books you have in your Amazon digital library. You can sort by title or author. Pick the book you want to read, wait for it to download and voila! You should be good to go.

Enjoy!

L

1 - 20 of 42 Posts