Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Kindle to give to my husband who is stationed in Afghanistan. Will he be able to download books there?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
sockmonkey said:
I bought a Kindle to give to my husband who is stationed in Afghanistan. Will he be able to download books there?
Hi Sockmonkey, welcome. Congratulations on your first post!

Yes, he will be able to download books but he will need to use the USB cable. The Whispernet will not work. However, transferring with USB is easy and quick, too.

You can find more info in the FAQ thread. Use the link at the top of the page or just go directly to the Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting board. The thread is stickied at the top.

L

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Sockmonkey, Glad you found us.  What a great gift for your Hubby.

I would like to expand just a little on Leslie's answer.

Your husband will need access to a computer with an internet connection.  His/your Amazon Account 1 click option must be with a US Credit Card issued by a US Bank in the USA.  I have no idea what the living conditions where he is stationed are, but he will also need access to electricity for recharging and possibly an adapter for the charger so it will plug in to the electrical outlets there.

If he does not have access to a computer, you can always load up his Kindle with lots of titles he would enjoy.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't worry plenty of electricity in Afgahnastan.  However it is 220 volt so he will need an adapter for the plug.  No converter necessary since kindle is designed to convert automatically.  He'll be able to use the morale drives to access amazon so that he can download books and transfer using the USB.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Sockmonkey - what a wonderful thoughtful gift!  Just hope he can keep it away from those other guys/gals over there!

Best wishes to you and him!!! and welcome to the KindleBoard

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
sockmonkey said:
Sockmonkey,

welcome to Kindleboards and what a wonderful gift for your husband! I think your questions have been answered quite well, this group pretty much knows everything! We're also pretty friendly, hang out with us whenever you want to chat!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
thejackylking said:
Don't worry plenty of electricity in Afgahnastan. However it is 220 volt so he will need an adapter for the plug. No converter necessary since kindle is designed to convert automatically. He'll be able to use the morale drives to access amazon so that he can download books and transfer using the USB.
Morale drives...what a great term!

Thanks thejackylking for the info...

L

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Sockmonkey -

I will just add my admiration and thanks for buying a Kindle for your husband.  It will be treasured there, I'm sure.

JackylKing gave great info.  When is the Kindle expected to arrive?

Looking forward to more posts by you,

Marci

·
Registered
366 Posts
Leslie said:
Morale drives...what a great term!

Thanks thejackylking for the info...

L
They got tired of everyone putting music and movies on a bunch of different computers because it would slow down the network, so they created morale drives to store all media on 1 central server. When I was in pakistan they had a 300GB drive for all the media.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts