Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! My Kindle arrived yesterday (refurb from Ebay seller, although the package arrived straight from Amazon . . . still haven't figured that one out!) Except for a brief time spent sleeping, I've been playing with it ever since!

I think I am starting to get the hang of it. At first I was a bit put off by the screen change, how it darkens first, but that is just fading into the background by now. I am still having some trouble with timing the page turns. They never seem to take the same amount of time, even in the same book. Any ideas why that might be?

Other than that, the only "problem" is that my hands and arms are pretty sore. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I'm still working out the best way to hold the Kindle for regular reading, which next button to use, that sort of thing. Paper books do the same thing just in a lesser amount since I am more used to them. A major plus is reading in bed. Usually I have to lay on my side and hold the book awkwardly towards what teeny amount of light won't wake up my husband. With the Kindle I can lay on my back and rest it and my hands on a small pillow on my stomach. I just cranked up the text size and the teeny light is more that enough without being direct. So cool!

I'm not minding the case that came with it other than it is plain black, although I've already ordered an Avenue of Trees Oberon cover too. I also have a skin coming, I posted a pic of it over in the picture area.

So far so good! :)

Trish

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats on your Kindle and your Oberon purchase.  I too have Avenue of Trees and it is beautiful.  I really enjoy it more that the original black case that it came with and I think that the Kindle is easier to handle in the Oberon case.
Bambi

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I would suggest a book light so you don't have to read in an uncomfortable position. I use a head lamp others use the mighty bright. I know that there are others out there but, well, I use a head lamp so that is what I know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bambi, that is good to know. I thought that it would be easier to hold just from looking at the pictures, but it is good to hear it confirmed.

I've thought about getting a book light too, ProfCrash. I think I'm going to wait until I have the new case, so I can check out the fit before I buy.

I just got back from the playground with my son. He played and ran, and I read in the long-absent sun. The Kindle does great outside!

Trish

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have arthritic problems too. I generally rest the weight of the Kindle on something. It might be a couple pillows on my lap, or some pillows bunched up in bed so I can lay on my side and have the weight of the K on the pillow. Then you just hold it (again with the weight on the pillows) and use your thumb to turn pages. Works out well.

Steve

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi Trish, welcome to KB and congrats on being a new Kindle owner! Please make an introduction on The Intro/Welcome Board which is for new members. Check out The Book Corner, we are having a great time there with book klubs. Hope you will join us. :)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
www.peeramid.com
Someone posted this on another thread.  It's on my wish list.  It looks like it would be perfect to hold the kindle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
eclecticmama said:
Bambi, that is good to know. I thought that it would be easier to hold just from looking at the pictures, but it is good to hear it confirmed.
No problem! I sure that there are about 100 other people here who can attest to the fabulousness of Oberon covers. I know some folks were purchasing journal covers and converting them to K covers during the time Oberon didn't sell K covers.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi - nice to have you here.

You can also rest your fingers on the "keyboard" - won't do a thing.  I am always moving around as to how I hold it.  So much easier than DTB.  8)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Congratulations, Trish -

So glad to hear you are enjoying your Kindle! 

Isn't it great to read outside, just for the sheer pleasure of it?

Your Kindle is going to have a very comfortable home in that Oberon cover  ;)

Marci

I

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your Kindle.  Once you get used to it you'll love it even more.

I like to read mine without the cover.  It's less bulky and lighter that way.  I usually hold it my left hand with my fingers spread out along the back for support.  My thumb goes across the keys, or the area just above them sometimes.  I use it to change pages

My right hand is free for snacks and drinks or petting a cat.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My right hand is free for snacks and drinks or petting a cat.
To be completely clear (especially following the True Blood/Bubba/Dead Until Dark discussion), you don't mean the cat is a snack, right?

Right?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The cat that eats like a meal?

I

·
0 Posts
gdhaliwal23 said:
Congrats Trish, I just ordered mine today, cant wait myself!
This always makes me happy. If I had my way, everyone that wanted one would have a Kindle. It would do more for reading than anything that's been done since books were first mass produced.

Having almost any book I want at my finger tips in 30 seconds just makes me giddy with power. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts