Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'd hoped to attach an illustration of this issue I'm having with Kindle Previewer, but can't see how to do that.

I've been preparing an ebook for publishing on Amazon. I laid it out on a DTP first for a paperback and then exported ebook files, which I've subsequently edited together using Sigil. I checked everything on FlightCrew and coding check was okay on Kindle Previewer. However, I noticed a little issue with how the book is represented on Kindle Previewer. Above the top left-hand corner of the small Kindle Previewer page-panels, the chapter title is generally shown on the first page-panel for each chapter. However, in the case of my file, some chapter titles are shown on more page-panels than just the first one. It may be for two or three panels or more. Then it will stop doing it at a particular page-panel and go back to normal (ie., without chapter heading printed above the left-hand corner. Or sometimes, the chapter title will appear above every page-panel. The issue varies from chapter to chapter, but occurs the same way in whichever reading-device mode is selected.

It seems to me that there is some piece of html tagging that is causing this phenomenon. I've looked through closely, trying several possibilities (configurations of "page-break" etc.), but can't work out what it is. I'd be grateful if someone can help me out with any suggestions.

Hoping you can help me.

Thanks and best wishes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gessert Books, I appreciate your time.

It's not actually a running header as such, but the Previewer function seems to be, rather, to indicate where a chapter begins, for ease of scanning across the book.

All the best

Gogo

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ah, now I see what you're referring to. The ones that are actually outside the page area? I wouldn't worry about it too much as I doubt it would affect anyone on an actual reading device, but I would just about bet it is displaying the NCX TOC entry over the corresponding target. In theory that target could span multiple pages if the TOC entry is pointing to something like a rather than the heading alone. Some generators do things like

Code:
<div id="chapter-1">
<h1>Chapter 1</h1>
<p>Lots of text</p>
</div>
...and if the TOC points to that parent div, I could see the label spanning a few pages. Just a theory though, I did not test this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your help, Phillip. Sorry to take so long to reply. I haven't followed your suggestion up yet, but will do anon. That was just the sort of possibility I was looking for. I like the look of Gessert Books very much -- congratulations.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks! It was made with Jekyll, I'm pretty happy with how fast it loads. Though that is probably less noticeable now than when I made it. I personally would not worry too much about this one, unless you find it really irksome--even if I'm right here (would not put money on this), there is nothing wrong with targeting bigger block elements like that imo. A case could be made for targeting the whole sheet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts