Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ate out a couple of times this last week.  People express an interest in my Kindle but balk at the price.  Some of these are waitresses attending college and working part time.  Still I wonder how many own the pricey IPods and other gadgets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have also heard from any number of people that they find the Kindle to be too expensive. And then there's the whole issue of the price of ebooks - many of the people who tell me that $359 is too much also feel that $9.99 for bestsellers is too much.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I ate out a couple of times this last week. People express an interest in my Kindle but balk at the price. Some of these are waitresses attending college and working part time. Still I wonder how many own the pricey IPods and other gadgets.
I'm pretty sure they own fancy I-Phones and I-Touch's. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
TM said:
To be fair... an Ipod is quite cheaper than a Kindle...
Exactly, and products like the Iphone are very multipurpose, where's a Kindle is designed for the sole purpose of reading books. I think that eventually everyone will carry a small portable computer, which just happens to have a built in phone, and ebook reader, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It is all in perspective. I consider my Kindle a necessity so even though it was a fair amount of money, I did not hesitate once I had seen one in real life. I like having a library with me wherever I go and since books have always been my "safe harbor" I take great comfort in knowing I will never run out of things to read. ;D

I would bet for those people who said paying almost $400 for a Kindle is too much that there is something they have already paid that much for or would not hesitate to pay that much for and they didn't even think twice about it.

Some people pay that much for shoes, or a purse, or a pair of jeans, or a pet or a bicycle, etc. It is all about the perspective.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I figured out how much I paid a year for books - sure .01 for some, but the shipping was horrendous - then I had to wait until I went NOB to get them and have to be sure I didn't overload my baggage weight allowance.  I never bought hardback books, and never new releases, just waited until they were out in paperback.  I figured I could pay for my kindle in less than a year - plus have my books immediately (save airline fares? LOL)  I justified quickly that I would be happy with my kindle, and never read a board about it before ordering.  I did read the original reviews before they were released in the wild, and that sold me to find out if I could afford it.  Luckily I bought mine before the economy tanked  ;D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I ate out a couple of times this last week. People express an interest in my Kindle but balk at the price. Some of these are waitresses attending college and working part time. Still I wonder how many own the pricey IPods and other gadgets.
I'm surprised by how many people just don't read....at all! Not even newspapers, magazines, Internet headlines, etc. Listening to music (iPod) can be done while doing other things (driving, housework, you name it), while reading on the Kindle is one-on-one. I think people have to really love to read to want a Kindle, let alone pay the price tag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, the iPod is cheaper now after years of sales volume under the belt.

First generation of iPods (equivalent to the K1) was $400 & $500. 

So it is an apt comparison.

Give the Kindle a several years and generations under the belt until you expect to see pricing comparisons of value to the current generation of iPods.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The difference in the e-ink screen versus the screen on a phone or PDA or computer is like night and day.  I used to read on my Sony Clie, and on the computer, occasionally, but the eyestrain was a problem.

The Kindle, on the other hand, never strains my one good eye.  Any extra cost is worth it, to me.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
mwb said:
Yes, the iPod is cheaper now after years of sales volume under the belt.

First generation of iPods (equivalent to the K1) was $400 & $500.

So it is an apt comparison.

Give the Kindle a several years and generations under the belt until you expect to see pricing comparisons of value to the current generation of iPods.
I was going to say the same thing... I have no doubt, in a few years Kindles will be much cheaper. I just don't want to wait a few years I am willing to pay more because it is worth it to me.

Also the 1st generation ipods only played music.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You could also think of it in terms of the cost of a gaming machine. A PlayStation or XBox is similar in price, and then you have to spend another $50 to buy a game. It really only does one or two things, and it is expensive. But if you enjoy playing games, you'll probably buy it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lotus said:
You could also think of it in terms of the cost of a gaming machine. A PlayStation or XBox is similar in price, and then you have to spend another $50 to buy a game. It really only does one or two things, and it is expensive. But if you enjoy playing games, you'll probably buy it.
And a gaming system has to be hooked up to a TV to work so it's not portable.

I love having my Kindle in line, waiting for carpool, waiting at the Drs office, etc. Try that with a gaming system. :D

Of course we have a house full of gaming systems and I'm not really a fan but can see how certain people love them. And those same people probably feel the same way about my Kindle - not really a fan but can see how I love it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.