Kindle Forum banner

Do you think the price of "T is for Trespass" by Sue Grafton will change when the paperback comes ou

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sue Grafton is the author of the popular Kinsey Milhone series of books, the titles of which are slowly working their way through the alphabet. The latest, "T is for Trespass" came out in December 2007. The hardcover is priced at $17.79. The Kindle version is $9.99. The paperback will be released in late November and is available for pre-order at $7.99.

I know people are passionate on the topic of Kindle pricing. What do you think will happen with this book? Will the Kindle price stay at $9.99? Will it drop to the paperback price...or even less?

Thoughts?

L

·
Registered
195 Posts
If previous Kindle pricing logic is any indication, when the paperback is released the Kindle price will go UP to $29.95. Then the Amazon Kindle board will fill up with angry protests, and then the price will magically come down to $7.99. But I don't think there is any connection between the protests and the pricing -- I think they have some trolls over there at Amazon who like to wind us Kindlers up.  ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have nothing to back this up, but my thought is that whatever the publisher has done historically will be done for this book as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I took a look and Sue Grafton's other books are lower in price even S is for Silence.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumping to give newcomers a chance to vote and express their opinion!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I went with $7.99 'cause while the other ebooks in the series are priced less than the paperback versions I'd think that the publisher would drop the price to match the paperback, and then drop the price later on to be more inline with the other ebooks, that way the ebook would benefit from two price drops rather than just one.

With that said I have a question, if you don't mind. Once I'm done reading the books I have on my Kindle I'd be interested in looking into this series. I was wondering if starting with "P Is for Peril", since that's where the series starts on the Kindle, would cause me any problems?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I don't read Sue Grafton, and my mother buys them the second they come out in hardback, so it doesn't really affect me. However, I think that the sensible thing to do would be to drop the price to 7.99. Otherwise the people who use the Kindle to get discounted prices would be likely to go out and buy the treebook at their local bookstore, thus depriving Amazon of the profit.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selcien said:
I went with $7.99 'cause while the other ebooks in the series are priced less than the paperback versions I'd think that the publisher would drop the price to match the paperback, and then drop the price later on to be more inline with the other ebooks, that way the ebook would benefit from two price drops rather than just one.

With that said I have a question, if you don't mind. Once I'm done reading the books I have on my Kindle I'd be interested in looking into this series. I was wondering if starting with "P Is for Peril", since that's where the series starts on the Kindle, would cause me any problems?
I don't think so. I haven't read one in years (I think I stopped back at about the letter L) but as I recall, they all were more or less standalone. I think sometimes Kinsey would refer to something that happened in one of the other books, but that was about it.

One thing I do remember: when the author started writing them, she set them in the current time she was in (I think it was about 1983). She stuck to the time, but meanwhile, real life was moving faster (if that makes sense). So even though we are in 2008, Kinsey is still back in the 80s somewhere, which is why she doesn't have a cellphone and maybe not even a computer. I am assuming the author hasn't changed this. I remember she had explanations in the front of the book when real life had gotten about 10 years ahead of where Kinsey was.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am reviving this old thread because I just discovered that T is for Trespass is down to $2.58! I have to say, I never expected it to get that low. I think I may just buy it, even though I haven't read one of these books since about the letter N or O.

G

·
OK, I voted but I waited to see what Leslie said first. What happens when the series gets to Z for Zamboni? AA for Aardvark?

Leslie said:
I am reviving this old thread because I just discovered that T is for Trespass is down to $2.58! I have to say, I never expected it to get that low. I think I may just buy it, even though I haven't read one of these books since about the letter N or O.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Selcien said:
I was wondering if starting with "P Is for Peril", since that's where the series starts on the Kindle, would cause me any problems?
They are pretty much standalone although there could be a very small amount of prior interaction between characters you'd be unaware of. It wouldn't be enough to spoil the stories though.

I bought it the other day for $2.58 so I don't care what it does later although I suspect it won't be higher than the paperback price for long, if at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.