Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've never seen or touched a Kindle before, I have to wonder...

Can you read it in just about any reasonable position? What is the most comfortable position for you?

I like to read in bed a lot, but would also read sitting, standing in line, other positions.

This thread could get dicey, but I am asking in the most innocent (naive, non-Kindler) of ways. What's your favorite reading position?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Libro pretty much any position you want. I do most of my reading sitting in bed or on my side. I've read in my hammock, sitting in doctor's offices, standing in lines, riding in the car while my hubby is driving. I have read some posts on here about reading while brushing your teeth.  :D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
libro said:
Since I've never seen or touched a Kindle before, I have to wonder...

Can you read it in just about any reasonable position? What is the most comfortable position for you?

I like to read in bed a lot, but would also read sitting, standing in line, other positions.

This thread could get dicey, but I am asking in the most innocent (naive, non-Kindler) of ways. What's your favorite reading position?
I either read lying on the sofa or in bed. Sometimes I prop the kindle up on a small pillow or just lean it against my legs if I am in a sitting position. Reading while lying down is so easy and comfortable. I don't know that I have a favorite position or place to read (except in the hammock by the pool)... I just love reading on it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Keep in mind that while you are in "reading mode" i.e. have a book open on the Kindle, you can't accidentally press the letter keys, they don't work unless you hold the alt key. ALT+T = Time, ALT+B = Bookmark. So you can hold the Kindle at the bottom very easily. You can use it one handed or two handed. In the cover, or outside of it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In the five weeks I have been a kindler, I have read while:
  • sitting on a stool at the kitchen counter
  • sitting an over stuffed chair with my feet up on a hassock
  • sitting in a recliner
  • lying on my side in bed
  • riding in the van while my wife drives
  • waiting in doctors' offices
  • walking down the hall at work
  • standing out in the smoker's place of exile
  • sitting ....um.... other places
There are probably more that I can't remember, but that pretty well covers it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so my suspicions were correct....all reading positions covered.  I especially like the fact that you don't have to juggle a really heavy, cumbersome book on your stomach when you're lying down.  The 800+ page books are not only difficult to open and read, but also very heavy when hardcover.  Kindle me!    :eek:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mrs. Ten spends quite a bit of her day laying on her side...I've found a bookstand that will hold her Kindle in a horizontal position so she can easily read the text. I have to position it just so in order for her to reach the page buttons, but it works fine for her purpose.

G

·
Just anyway you can read a book, you can read a Kindle and do it easier and with less effort.

It even has an auto page turner that will let you read hands free.  It has a 9 second preset so ad just the font so you can read a page in 9 seconds or less and have at it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know the "complaints" that users accidentally touch the "page turn" button too easily?  Is this a minor gripe or legitimate?  Do you just get used to holding it a certain way? 

·
Registered
679 Posts
I read with mine in the cover... and don't really have issues accidently touching the next page button... I do, when reading with it laying on the arm of the loveseat have to watch my cats... they like turning the pages for me.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Page tuning accidentally: Minor...to the point of nonexistent once you spend 10 minutes with the Kindle.

Position: any and many...never a problem.  Plus I have this neat little stand that lets you tip it at any angle and even tilt it semi-sideways so that when your head is cocked so is the print.  My stand allows for 100 percent hands free especially if you use the auto page turn so the hitting the button is irrelevant. Though I don't use auto turn I push the button...but since I'm not holding my kindle and it's in my stand I can't accidentally hit it anyways.

I'm considering putting up my stand on Ebay to see what it does $$.  If I get any action; I may put a few up and use the $$ towards more BOOKS!!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I had gotten to the point that it was very hard for me to read a traditional book in bed--issues of holding it, adjusting the light, adjusting the pillow, etc. With the Kindle, all that as vanished. I think it is the fact that I don't have to hold it open so I can actually have my hands and arms at my my side with the Kindle propped on a pillow on my knees. It is great.

L

G

·
I have found that while reading in bed, on my side, it is much better to have it in a cover. That way I can prop it on its edge and not have to worry about accidentally turning the page. Reading with out the cover does not give any place to prop it on its side.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I read on my bed, which its press against the farther corner from the door. On my bed I have a bunch of pillows (more than there is in the picture. I lay against the pillows and wrap up my legs in a quilt and read with my kindle in my left hand and my Zune in my right.
Or
If i am spending all day on campus, I find a quiet little corner to lean a chair against and curl up there.
Or
Sometime I read at my desk. (usually do this if I am working on notes that are on my kindle or editing my best friend's story, which I have on my kindle)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I most often read:
  • sitting/lying on my side in bed
  • sitting/lying on my couch
  • sitting in a chair on my deck with my feet propped up
  • eating at the table with my Kindle propped up against a mug or in a stand

I bought something at a craft fair here in Idaho years ago that would allow me to prop a book up while I ate. It was a round "ball" of material loosely filled with small beanbag chair pellets (not the big kind). It held the book easily enough but still problematic turning pages. With the Kindle, tho, it's perfect! I can prop the Kindle in the Bean Buddy, and just reach over and press the Next page button when I'm ready. I can always prop it at "just the right angle", even when I'm lying on my side on the couch or in bed. I'm a happy camper! ;D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Libro, I haven't read any responses so I might repeat a lot.
This is also something I worried about before I got my Kindle, but now i've had it for about 5 days and I can say there is no reading position I can do with a book that I can't do with my Kindle, and the Kindle even has more options. For example, when I'm lying with my news up I can just rest it against my legs, with a book the pages would flap over. You can bend the cover back like with a paperback or hold it out and up.
One noticeable disadvantage for me, that has nothing to do with position, is that with DTBs I sometimes flip the pages to see how long a chapter will be so I know if I have time to read it all (cause I hate stopping without a noticeable break). This is something rather hard to do with the Kindle 'cause you have to go next page a lot and then previous. But it's something I'm willing to give up for the Kindle advantages.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Before owning a Kindle, my biggest concern was the reports of poor design in the page turn keys...after my initial use of the Kindle, I came to appreciate and love the placement of the keys because it allows me to comfortably hold the Kindle and turn pages no matter what my reading position is (left handed when eating, right handed naturally, one handed on the couch, two handed on the bus..). Rather than a flaw, I think its very well designed for the specific purpose of supporting various reading positions.

The only challenge is to remember to put it in sleep mode when moving from my reading position to prevent accidental page turns.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Boston said:
Before owning a Kindle, my biggest concern was the reports of poor design in the page turn keys...after my initial use of the Kindle, I came to appreciate and love the placement of the keys because it allows me to comfortably hold the Kindle and turn pages no matter what my reading position is (left handed when eating, right handed naturally, one handed on the couch, two handed on the bus..). Rather than a flaw, I think its very well designed for the specific purpose of supporting various reading positions.

The only challenge is to remember to put it in sleep mode when moving from my reading position to prevent accidental page turns.
I absolutely agree, I think the keys position are excellent. The only problem I had was when I was putting it in its cover and didn't know how to turn it on standby. I turned about 100 pages in the guidebook.
One lesser problem is turning back a page when reading without the cover bent back, you have to awkwardly reach around with your right hand or let go of the flap with your left.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts