Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this hasn't already been posted on here.  I searched and didn't see another topic like this one.  I ordered a replacement battery for my Kindle (over a year old now) about a month ago even tho my current battery is working fine.  I don't want it to die on me and not have a replacement.  However, Amazon has them backordered with no expected date given that they will get them in.  I do hope it's soon because I'm worried that mine might go out at any time.  I hope Amazon realizes that this would be a catastrophe for many of us if we couldn't get a new battery.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I don't guess there is anywhere else where we could get a battery, is there?  I just assume that Amazon is the only place we can get them.  Keeping my fingers crossed that my current one doesn't decide to give up.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I read the reviews of the battery and many there said that their original batteries conked out w/in 3-4 months after receipt of their kindle.  I've only had mine a month and do not have a back up battery.  For those that have had their kindles  for a while, have you experienced a pretty short battery life?  Do I need to order one now too?

Ruby

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
If there’s only one source for the  battery and it’s back-ordered for several months, it might not be a bad idea to get a spare.

I don’t know what the shelf life is on those things, but they only cost what, $20? Might be worth it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Jeff, that's not a battery, just a tip for the iGo charger that'll work with Kindle. . . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had mine for 11 months and I've just recently (the last month
or so) noticed that the battery seems to need charging more
frequently.  Haven't changed my usage though, so maybe the
battery is just started to wear down, or whatever they do before
they actually die.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Eli said:
frequently. Haven't changed my usage though, so maybe the
they actually die.
That's how rechargeable batteries usually behave. They hold a charge for shorter and shorter periods rather than just going dead like a car battery.

jmiked said:
If there’s only one source for the battery and it’s back-ordered for several months, it might not be a bad idea to get a spare.

I don’t know what the shelf life is on those things, but they only cost what, $20? Might be worth it.

Mike
I've checked with every source we've ever used for rechargeable batteries and it seems that only Amazon offers a replacement for the Kindle. My earlier post with a link to International Batteries was wrong as Ann pointed out.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Jeff said:
That's how rechargeable batteries usually behave. They hold a charge for shorter and shorter periods rather than just going dead like a car battery.
That's what I figured, that I'd have some warning that my Kindle battery is going, and at that point I'd order a new one.

Going back to the original post, though, I wonder if it's possible that the batteries are the bottleneck in the production, not (or in addition to) the screens. Even if the Kindle 2 is coming out, I find it hard to believe that amazon is going to leave all us first gen. adopters high and dry without power for our Kindles!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Eli said:
frequently. Haven't changed my usage though, so maybe the
they actually die.
Thanks for sharing your time frame. I think I'll order a back up now, so that if/when my original battery dies I'll have it.

Ruby

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had one on order and canceled it after not hearing about any problems with needing a replacement.  Maybe my initial idea was right to have a replacement.....Now y'all have got me worried! :-[  I hate second-guessing  myself!

Katiekat

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
For these kind of rechargeable batteries, both time and charge cycles play a part. Li-on batteries have a shelf life of 2-5 years. Deep discharge (letting the battery get below 30% or so then recharging is harder on the battery than more frequent "shallow" discharges. The usual recommendation is to charge often, keeping the battery charged as much as possible and then depleting it totally and recharging every 2-3 months to "reset" the battery charge indicator.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I must admit, after reading a few posts on this thread last night, I went into semi-panic mode and placed an order for a replacement (on backorder though). 

Then I started wondering.  The charger/ac adapter that came with it could be used as a source of power correct?  I realize it is not convenient if you are carrying the Kindle around but as I usually only get time to read when I crawl into bed, at least I wouldn't be totally left w/o my Kindle?  Right?  ???

G

·
Also, did I understand we can read using the power charger even if the battery is not there?
While I haven't tried it yet, I am about 99% sure you can use the ac adapter as the sole power source until you get a new battery.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Chad Winters said:
For these kind of rechargeable batteries, both time and charge cycles play a part. Li-on batteries have a shelf life of 2-5 years. Deep discharge (letting the battery get below 30% or so then recharging is harder on the battery than more frequent "shallow" discharges. The usual recommendation is to charge often, keeping the battery charged as much as possible and then depleting it totally and recharging every 2-3 months to "reset" the battery charge indicator.
Thanks, didn't know that. Love the things I learn on these boards!

Judging from people noticing shorter charge cycles now, a year into the Kindle, having a spare on hand still makes me happy.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I got a replacment batterie when I got my Kindle back in May.  I never charged it.  I wonder how long shelf life is?  The orignal batteri was very to take out so i just left, and wait

·
Registered
552 Posts
tessa said:
I got a replacment batterie when I got my Kindle back in May. I never charged it. I wonder how long shelf life is? The orignal batteri was very to take out so i just left, and wait
I was wondering the same thing. Are you better off not charging the replacement battery until you need it or do you periodically charge it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts