Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Old man here - really struggle with tech-y things so please, simple explanations.

I want to read Microsoft word files on my kindle (I bought this device in 2015). After much tribulation, I discovered how to send a word file to the kindle and open it. My question concerns security. "Where" does that word file live? On my kindle only? In the "cloud"? In both my kindle and the cloud? The reason I ask is that the material I want to read on my kindle is somewhat confidential (work stuff - would not want competitors to get it). What are my risks? Can I do something so that the only copy is on my kindle?

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I think it depends on how you sent it.

If you attached it to an email and sent it to the 'email address' of your kindle, it might only reside where it originated -- on your computer. (But I'm not 100% sure of that, because it's a long while since I sent anything that way.)

If you used "Send to Kindle", which is an applet you set up on your computer, you can set it so that it is stored at Amazon (as a personal document). Of course, it is also ON the kindle you sent it to.

If it IS stored at Amazon and you would prefer it wasn't, go to the 'content and devices' section of your Amazon account and switch it from showing 'books' to showing 'docs'. That will show you all such things you've sent and you can delete them from there if you wish to.

Reactions: expos4ever
1 - 2 of 2 Posts