Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a quick story and wonder if this has happened to others.

Recently the weather was a comfy sunny 70s, so I decided to use my quick lunch break to get some Jamba Juice smoothie.  As usual I took my Kindle, Passepartout, in hand with ipod in my ears to the mall across the street of my office building.  Once there I gave them my usual order, and while I was waiting for my smoothie to be made, woke up Passepartout, and began to read.  After a while, my name was called out for pick-up and while I trotted over still semi-buried in to a good part of my book, it was  then where one of the employee blurted out excitedly "hey I have one of those!" and pointed to me and my Kindle. 

Now I am a bit of a dork and have rehearsed what I would say once people would ask about my Kindle (hey, I wanted to look smart).  Though at that moment my mind went completely went blank and my eyes went wide.  I was totally taken aback  and did know what to say.

I went into Kindle Shock. :eek:

What could I do?  What did I do?  I grabbed my order, gave a quick smile, and quickly left.  Now I don't know if I ever can go back there again... :)

Tris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Tris said:
I went into Kindle Shock. :eek:

What could I do? What did I do? I grabbed my order, gave a quick smile, and quickly left. Now I don't know if I ever can go back there again... :)

Tris
That sounds like something I would do, I usually go into "shock" at the wrong moment :( Hasn't happened with the Kindle yet, but I'm sure it will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,005 Posts
Tris said:
"hey I have one of those!" and pointed to me and my Kindle.
Just get used to the stock answer "Shows what good taste you have." and off you go....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Aw, that poor person was probably really excited to see another Kindle owner... and you just ran away as if they had said they saw you committing a murder...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,325 Posts
There are various stories here and there on the Boards about excited Kindle owners accosting introducing themselves to other Kindlers (usually the unenlightened sort without skin or cover) and receiving a look of "Are you insane?" in reply. Perhaps this anecdote explains that response. . . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Hahaha. This is funny. "Kindle shock". Well I would certainly have Kindle shock if I met another Kindle owner in Australia, but in contrast I'd probably completely geek out and turn into a babbling idiot.

Curious. What *would* you have said if you had not gone into Kindle shock? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,111 Posts
LOL this thread went a different route than I thought it was going to take.

I just read about the flat-iron/kindle incident so I thought your post was going to say that the Kindle physically shocked you.
I was gonna start steering clear of all electronics for a while lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
I never suffer from Kindle shock.  If it were me...the others behind me would start cursing and throwing things at me for holding up the line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
koolmnbv said:
LOL this thread went a different route than I thought it was going to take.

I just read about the flat-iron/kindle incident so I thought your post was going to say that the Kindle physically shocked you.
I was gonna start steering clear of all electronics for a while lol.
Lol, me too x_X
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
There are various stories here and there on the Boards about excited Kindle owners accosting introducing themselves to other Kindlers (usually the unenlightened sort without skin or cover) and receiving a look of "Are you insane?" in reply. Perhaps this anecdote explains that response. . . . .
I guess I am guilty of doing that, but I always direct them to this website. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,416 Posts
koolmnbv said:
LOL this thread went a different route than I thought it was going to take.

I just read about the flat-iron/kindle incident so I thought your post was going to say that the Kindle physically shocked you.
I was gonna start steering clear of all electronics for a while lol.
lol that was what I was thinking too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
LOL!!  Kindle Shock!!  :-X

I had a different kind of Kindle Shock the first time I was asked about my Kindle.  A guy came up to me at an airport and asked if I liked my kindle.  He didn't know what it was called, but just pointed and asked if I liked it.  I was reading a good part of a book at the time, and smartly asked, "Huh?"  He repeated himself, and I answered, "Yep."  Then I resumed my reading.  He sort of hung around a second and then wandered away.  I was trying to get to the end of the chapter before I had to board!  I guess I seemed like a Kindle snob.  I didn't realize what I had done until later.  Now I've had practice talking to people about it, but I've never met another Kindle (or Kindler) in the wild, though.

I think you can go back there and if you see the same person, ask if (s)he knows about the kindleboards.  It'd be a good way to open the dialogue back up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
I've had several discussions with folks sharing and showing the KK.
But recently I had an odd encounter: I was on a flight and across the aisle, up one row, was a guy reading on a K2. He was dressed in business attire (with his jacket off so apparently stored overhead; Looked like he was an attorney, accountant, some such, dressed for business travel). (I'm an attorney, but definitely not a traditional one, so I feel OK making these comments - lol)
Anyway, I reached up and very gently tapped his arm and held up my KK and asked how he liked his K2, just trying to be sociable;
Well, I got a very cold brush off, a comment something like 'fine', a condescending smirk & then he turned right back to his K2 and I felt really stupid!

Ugh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
CegAbq said:
I've had several discussions with folks sharing and showing the KK.
But recently I had an odd encounter: I was on a flight and across the aisle, up one row, was a guy reading on a K2. He was dressed in business attire (with his jacket off so apparently stored overhead; Looked like he was an attorney, accountant, some such, dressed for business travel). (I'm an attorney, but definitely not a traditional one, so I feel OK making these comments - lol)
Anyway, I reached up and very gently tapped his arm and held up my KK and asked how he liked his K2, just trying to be sociable;
Well, I got a very cold brush off, a comment something like 'fine', a condescending smirk & then he turned right back to his K2 and I felt really stupid!

Ugh.
He was an attorney. LOL. There are two different types of attorneys. He was THAT type.
deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To those who like to know...

If didn't go into "Kindle shock", I would be more eliquent and intelligent about it.  I would have said something like "yes, I love it...I can't imagine being without..."  and would have jumped at the chance to meet another Kindler.  Alas, I don't know if I'll get that chance again since there doesn't seem to be TOO many Kindle owners in my neck of the woods (or atleast I've noticed since they came out).  Go figure.

But it was just that sudden moment.  She was just so excited and the finger pointing...almost to the point she was jumping up and down.

Now I feel bad because I didn't want to be rude or anything.  I was just totally suprised.  Go figure, I can make presentations and speak to large groups of people...but at that moment I was "gone" and "totally blank".

I will be flying out to Denver, CO next weekend, perhaps I will be better. ;)

Tris
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top