Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30832627/

Watch this, read that
In honor of summer beginning this weekend, I'm starting a new Wednesday feature to help you while away your long weekend. "Watch this, read that" will offer up suggestions about what to bookmark, record, rent, etc. during the slow summer months.

First up: Take a few minutes to watch this video from the Enough Project. Their campaign to raise awareness of conflict metals - tin, tungsten, tantalum - in the Congo features Marie Louise Parker, Sandra Oh, Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Read Stephen King's "7 Great Books for Summer" list. Even if you've already bought or Kindled your Memorial Day reading, the idea of Stephen King coming up with beach reading is pleasantly incongruous.
I just love that you and buy or Kindle your books now. We might be small in number but the Kindle is taking over baby.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah. I was in a local chinese restaurant in a strip mall having lunch the other day, and the proprietor came over to my table, pointed at my Kindle, and said "lots of people have these now, I am seeing more and more every day." I was oddly excited by this :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
ProfCrash said:
heheh and I picked up two of the books recommended by King. (sigh)
When we lived in Boston a few years back, my husband's company had Red Sox season tickets right next to King's. He always brought a book to read in between innings. I would buy (and like) whatever book I saw him read... my favorite being Memoirs of a Geisha.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
If the phrase "bought or Kindled" starts being used a lot, it really is a sign that Amazon owns this category. Its competitors must *hate* that.

It's like us Zune owners using the phrase "podcasts" - - iPod defined the category and owns the market.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I listened to a discussion on NPR about the future of the newspaper industry and Kindles were mentioned several times, and I hear Kindles mentioned casually in more and more TV and radio conversations.  Sony Corp is going to have to start giving everyone in the media their reader to catch up.  They must be very frustrated.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I almost bought a Sony. :eek:

I'd ordered the Kindle, but it was on backorder. I was at the Sony store and began asking the guy questions and it was really clear that he couldn't really come up with anything to knock my socks off, that it just seemed inferior to the Kindle, and that I would only be giving in to instant gratification. The rumors were that the K2 was going to be announced in a matter of days, so I held off, the rumors were right, I was automatically upgraded, and I'm very glad I waited.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
Yeah poor Sony.
No one is ever going to say that they have Sonied.

It is kind of like the Xerox thing.
They are xerox copies.  Not photo copies (although some people do now say that). Even with Xerox having lost so much market share it is still in the culture.
It may happen that way with the Kindle.  If Amazon plays its cards right.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Well it's Sony's fault.  Nobody is going to say they PRS-505'd a book... and who wants to update what they're saying all the time?  I hope they have a lot of kleenex on hand... maybe some jello.  Okay I'm pushing it a bit with the jello, but people don't even think twice about calling tissues kleenex.  I'd love if Kindle became the word we associate with ereaders.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Scheherazade said:
Well it's Sony's fault. Nobody is going to say they PRS-505'd a book... and who wants to update what they're saying all the time? I hope they have a lot of kleenex on hand... maybe some jello. Okay I'm pushing it a bit with the jello, but people don't even think twice about calling tissues kleenex. I'd love if Kindle became the word we associate with ereaders.
Exactly! It really is all in the name (sorry Bard)! After all, the rose may smell just as sweet no matter what you call it, but the florist has to know what kind of flowers to send.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts