Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about the student kindle?

I'm a student (duh) and carrying 1000 page textbooks around is not fun at all, period, not to mention paying up to $200 or more for a single book :( I've grown so used to my K1 that I really don't even like reading paper books anymore, the kindle has spoiled me :)

Any news would be great, thanks

Mat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
I haven't heard anything official but what I seem to hear most often is that the textbook publishers don't want to go e-book. I understand your pain. But I bet if they went electronic, you'd still be paying way too much and then would be stuck with it - no bookstore buy-backs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
bigmat1201 said:
Has anyone heard anything about the student kindle?

I'm a student (duh) and carrying 1000 page textbooks around is not fun at all, period, not to mention paying up to $200 or more for a single book :( I've grown so used to my K1 that I really don't even like reading paper books anymore, the kindle has spoiled me :)

Any news would be great, thanks

Mat
Are you referring to perhaps, school books on the kindle? That would be kind of interesting but then taking notes might be an issue if you write notes inside the books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, supposedly Amazon is working on a Student version of the kindle that has a larger screen (9-10in) so you could read standard letter sized pages on it, like whats in textbooks. And students would just have to buy the kindle and they could carry all there textbooks electronically on it instead of having to buy big heavy books. I was also hopping it would have a color screen, reading a science book in black and white wouldn't be too helpful since most of them have a lot of color pictures, at least mine does.

you can google kindle student and you'll find some info on it, but its old info, I thought with the introduction of K2 yesterday they might have talked about other kindles they were working on, including the student kindle :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,981 Posts
You can take notes on your Kindle. Just use the note feature. To look up the notes for that specific book, go to the book, and click on the notes page for it. The notes will come up in the order you added them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
I have heard this in rumor form, but nothing that looks very solid. I think universities would do well to give first-year students a Kindle, pre-loaded with their textbooks. Pretty sure that will never happen, though. Those university bookstores have a lot of power. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Harvey said:
I have heard this in rumor form, but nothing that looks very solid. I think universities would do well to give first-year students a Kindle, pre-loaded with their textbooks. Pretty sure that will never happen, though. Those university bookstores have a lot of power. :)
And I HIGHLY doubt they would really discount the books. I would love to pay $9.99 for my school books!! ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Harvey said:
I have heard this in rumor form, but nothing that looks very solid. I think universities would do well to give first-year students a Kindle, pre-loaded with their textbooks. Pretty sure that will never happen, though. Those university bookstores have a lot of power. :)
Was just talking to my daughter about college books....wonder why kids can't afford to go to college and those bookstores are making tons of money by changing the books sometimes every semester...same info but different look and hit poor students with another $100 book. It would be nice if there was some way of putting a reign on them. It would be great if they could have a kindle college version that could be a requirement for incoming freshman like the laptops and the books used during that incoming year would be the same for the students for the next 4 years before they could change to another version.....but that's in the fantasy world..... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
bigmat1201 said:
No, supposedly Amazon is working on a Student version of the kindle that has a larger screen (9-10in) so you could read standard letter sized pages on it, like whats in textbooks. And students would just have to buy the kindle and they could carry all there textbooks electronically on it instead of having to buy big heavy books. I was also hopping it would have a color screen, reading a science book in black and white wouldn't be too helpful since most of them have a lot of color pictures, at least mine does.
I could see a large screen that can natively read PDFs and such pretty soon (heck, look at the ones already out there), but color is still a ways off. Probably about the time you graduate ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Thenuts454 said:
Was just talking to my daughter about college books....wonder why kids can't afford to go to college and those bookstores are making tons of money by changing the books sometimes every semester...same info but different look and hit poor students with another $100 book. It would be nice if there was some way of putting a reign on them. It would be great if they could have a kindle college version that could be a requirement for incoming freshman like the laptops and the books used during that incoming year would be the same for the students for the next 4 years before they could change to another version.....but that's in the fantasy world..... ;)
I've been out of school for awhile but I think a large number of universities are trying to at least encourage use of the same edition for a few years. My experience from myself and DH who just finished school on-line is try to hold off until you KNOW you need that book. I had several classes that I bought books for and they were never used. grrr. After a week or two, or after you have the syllabus, you can look into used copies either in the university bookstore or at Amazon. Sometimes, you can even ask the professor if a previous edition will work. Often it is only page numbers that have changed.

Oh, and try selling those books back on Amazon. The university bookstores will only give you a fixed percentage, based on if it will be used the next semester. More than half of my husband's books we were able to sell in the Amazon marketplace for more than he paid for them. Woot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Kind said:
And I HIGHLY doubt they would really discount the books. I would love to pay $9.99 for my school books!! ::)
yea... that would NEVER happen. You know text book publishers are greedy *%$#@%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Harvey said:
I have heard this in rumor form, but nothing that looks very solid. I think universities would do well to give first-year students a Kindle, pre-loaded with their textbooks. Pretty sure that will never happen, though. Those university bookstores have a lot of power. :)
I'll beta test Kindle student edition for Amazon!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
college bookstore also make a lot of money from the used books....they wanted to buy most of my books back for 6-8 ducks and I paided almost 500 for them altogether. 5 textbooks, 1 dictionary, 2 workbooks (which I never wrote in, cuz I photocopied all the pages I needed for class.)....I ended up keeping my books and gave it to friends who are taking the course this semster. Don't care to sell my books back. So give me a student edition anytime
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
At first I wanted to believe that bestsellers/new releases would sell for $9.99.  Welllll. . .  there appears to be a large number of bestsellers/new releases that are more than $9.99.  The publishers have to love it.  After all it probably costs them a pittance to make an e-book for Amazon.  Am sure the authors aren't making 'more' money on e-books.  So. . . that means that the publishers -- oh and Amazon -- are making some money.

Kindle makes such good sense for students.  However, the university bookstore is not going to take much of a cut in price.  Nor will the publishers. However, student edition Kindles would make life easier for students -- just think of never having to hunt for a textbook because it is on your Kindle. 

This brings me back to a major point in my life.  I didn't purchase a Kindle to save money.  I purchased a Kindle to have better access to the books I choose to read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
college bookstore also make a lot of money from the used books....they wanted to buy most of my books back for 6-8 ducks and I paided almost 500 for them altogether. 5 textbooks, 1 dictionary, 2 workbooks (which I never wrote in, cuz I photocopied all the pages I needed for class.)....I ended up keeping my books and gave it to friends who are taking the course this semster. Don't care to sell my books back. So give me a student edition anytime
You know what I did a few years go in College. I know for a fact that everybody does not buy books for the 1st day of class. Go to the class where the books will be needed, and sell them before or after class. The students will be more then happy to save a few bucks and you get most of your $$ back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,981 Posts
College bookstores are screwed if a student edition comes out. The pUblishers should prefer a student version because the text books would be DRMed. So students could not sell back the book. This means the publishers will make more money then they did in the past. It could actually lead to a drop in the price of books. Better yet, it might mean a drop in the need for new editions every year. If the used book market dimishes, publishers won't need to release a new edition in order to sell more books. That should decrease the costs for Publishers.

College bookstores will sell t-shirts, sweatshirts, and the like but a lot fewer books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
You may want to consider how the kindle can change the face of education and text books.  Instead of purchasing entire books, chapters can be for sale, or a set of chapters.  Teachers can select a variety of books without feeling like they are breaking the students bank, if they use just certain chapters.  This is what I currently do in my schooling which is entirely online and all of the texts are in pdf format.  Some chapters are protected, others are not.  This is a win win for everyone.  The students pocketbooks are still full (well), teachers get to pick the best of the best chapters, and not be forced to rely upon entire texts, publishers still make money, authors still make money.  It makes senseto me that they make a student version.  Or even a larger version (which has been dubbed student version).  Note taking is already present, lack of color sucks, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the limitations.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,981 Posts
Teachers can select a variety of books without feeling like they are breaking the students bank, if they use just certain chapters.
Teachers already do this. Course packs are common things. They include atricles and specific chapters. I used one in just about every graduate class that I taught and my upper division classes. The course packs are a great deal less then buying the four books I pulled chapters from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Harvey said:
I have heard this in rumor form, but nothing that looks very solid. I think universities would do well to give first-year students a Kindle, pre-loaded with their textbooks. Pretty sure that will never happen, though. Those university bookstores have a lot of power. :)
Most universities these days contract out their book store because it is a lot less expensive than trying to stock, staff, and run their own store. And the biggest contractor by far is Barnes and Noble. I would guess that at least 80% of college bookstores are actually owned and run by B & N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,981 Posts
Michigan State University had about four different bookstores students could go to. Three were privately owned. I would guess that they would have to drop their books if e-books became the wave of the future for Universities.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top