Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per Register Hardware (UK) - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/10/kindle_2_international_launch/
----------------------------
A spokesperson for the online retailer told Register Hardware today that it has inked plans to sell the device outside of North America.

"The ambition is for an international rollout out [of the Kindle 2] in the future," he said.

Kindle 2 - which features a 6in E-Ink screen, 3G connectivity and 2GB of memory - was unveiled in New York yesterday. It'll arrive in North America on 24 February and cost $359 (£240/€276).

Unfortunately, Amazon's spokesman couldn't confirm when the redesigned model would hit the UK or how much it will cost. ®

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Will I be able to download books on the moon through Whispernet?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts are that we will get an update, then it'll be ready.  They have supposedly been in negotiations for awhile, but I bet they had to get the K2 out first.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
If Kindle is going international, will Whispernet work in Antarctica or on Mt Everest. I never thought of going there but someday i might and I'd sure want my Kindle.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That will be awesome, but it might take a while. I think the reason it's not international is because of issues with different cell phone service providers overseas.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
intinst said:
If Kindle is going international, will Whispernet work in Antarctica or on Mt Everest. I never thought of going there but someday i might and I'd sure want my Kindle.
Well, Whispernet might work just fine but it might be too cold in either of those places. You are not supposed to read it in temps lower than 32 degrees (Fahrenheit) and I think the lowest recommended temp for storage is 15 deg (working from memory here).

L

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I was going to ask about Mars. The moon is just a stop over.
Hello? Yes? Naturally, if you can't use whispernet on a plane, you're not going to be able to use it on an inter-planetary shuttle. Duh.

Philistine.

(joking. promise.)

;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Leslie said:
Well, Whispernet might work just fine but it might be too cold in either of those places. You are not supposed to read it in temps lower than 32 degrees (Fahrenheit) and I think the lowest recommended temp for storage is 15 deg (working from memory here).

L
You are not allowing for global warming, I wouldn't want to go for a couple of years, it might be warm enough then.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
intinst said:
You are not allowing for global warming, I wouldn't want to go for a couple of years, it might be warm enough then.
I am waiting until they have an escolator that can take you to the top of Everet. Until then I am sticking to my overall life goal of never going to a place that requires spending a day in a place known as "The death zone".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I am waiting until they have an escolator that can take you to the top of Everet. Until then I am sticking to my overall life goal of never going to a place that requires spending a day in a place known as "The death zone".
that is an awesome life goal. I am totally stealing it for my own.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
chobitz said:
The moon? Why think small! Can I use it on Neptune?
Yes, Neptune is authorized, but not Pluto, since it is not a planet anymore. However, please see my temperature caveats in the other post. Even though WN might work, you might be in an environment that is too hot or cold to use your Kindle and thus void its warranty.

L

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
ProfCrash said:
That will probably also change with global warming, "The Feeling Ill Zone"

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
It's the death zone because of the relative lack of oxygen. Most humans can survive in that area only when using oxygen. This is why the folks who climb Everest without oxygen are deemed to be insane and the feat impressive.

There is a great show on Discovery Channle called Everest: Beyond the LImit. They haven't shown re-runs in a while but there is suppose to be a third season. It is cool. It follows a group of people climbing Everest. Some of the folks are really likeable, some of them are not.

OK, so Everest is a bit of an obsession of mine. I love the books, the movies, and the shows.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Nope. The Neptune towers are an experiment sponsered by NASA to prove that it can be done.
What a downer ;D

BTW had a friend tell me this morning some friends of his cannot get books here ? they are trying whispernet ;) I told him to have them call me and I'd help them out ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts