Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cousin who is not very computer literate but wanted to know whether she could buy kindle books on Amazon and load them and read them on her Nook.  I could not answer that question but I'm sure someone here would know.  I don't think she would be capable of changing the format of the book to make it work on the Nook.

Thanx

John
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,316 Posts
jheydt said:
I have a cousin who is not very computer literate but wanted to know whether she could buy kindle books on Amazon and load them and read them on her Nook. I could not answer that question but I'm sure someone here would know. I don't think she would be capable of changing the format of the book to make it work on the Nook.

Thanx

John
No. Books purchased from Amazon for Kindle have their own flavor of DRM -- Digital Rights Management, aka copy protection. As do books purchased from B&N for Nook. Not to mention the underlying format is different: .mobi vs ePub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
She can, but only for books without DRM. If the book doesn't have DRM (Digital Rights Management, it'll say "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" on Amazon if there is no DRM), then she could use software such as Calibre to convert it to ePub. But if the book does have DRM, then no, she can't read the books on nook.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Knowing next to nothing about Nooks...can you load the Kindle app on one of the Nook tablets?  I can load the Nook app on my Fire (though it has to be sideloaded, I believe).

Betsy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,316 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Knowing next to nothing about Nooks...can you load the Kindle app on one of the Nook tablets? I can load the Nook app on my Fire (though it has to be sideloaded, I believe).

Betsy
That is potentially possible if you 'root' the Nook, I think. Which would be against Terms of Service and/or void the warranty, most likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
I seem to remember adding the Kindle app to my nook Color just to see if I could. I also added the nook app to my Kindle Fire. I can't remember if I rooted the nook or not (it was so long ago). Nowadays, I just use my iPad Mini and use whichever app I need.

As for adding Kindle books to a regular eInk nook, no. Not without removing DRM and that's something we don't talk about in here.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
That is potentially possible if you 'root' the Nook, I think. Which would be against Terms of Service and/or void the warranty, most likely.
It may or may not be against the ToS for the Nook; seems to me B&N used to sell a SD card with the rooting apk on it. Or something. *shrug* As I said, I don't know nuthin' about no Nooks. (paraphrasing the line from Gone With the Wind.)

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,981 Posts
Rooting the Nook is against the terms of service and BN has been doing what they can to stop the rooting. It has gotten considerably harder to root the Nook.

I would say the answer for 90% oof the population is no because they have no clue how to do it or interest in learning how to do it or are worried that it is illegal.

The answer is yes you can read Amazon books on a Nook and vice versa if you are willing to strip the DRM and convert from Mobi to EPub. This is a violation of the terms of service for all of the bookstores. It does take some time and know how, not much, it took me 30 minutes total to figure it out. In some places it is illegal.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
MamaProfCrash said:
Rooting the Nook is against the terms of service and BN has been doing what they can to stop the rooting. It has gotten considerably harder to root the Nook.

I would say the answer for 90% oof the population is no because they have no clue how to do it or interest in learning how to do it or are worried that it is illegal.

The answer is yes you can read Amazon books on a Nook and vice versa if you are willing to strip the DRM and convert from Mobi to EPub. This is a violation of the terms of service for all of the bookstores. It does take some time and know how, not much, it took me 30 minutes total to figure it out. In some places it is illegal.
Thanks, MPC--there used to be someone who posted here that said it wasn't against B&N rules, so I wasn't sure...

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks, MPC--there used to be someone who posted here that said it wasn't against B&N rules, so I wasn't sure...

Betsy
"Rooting" by altering the software operating system is against the B&N terms of service. Using an SD card to boot to a different operating system isn't. When you remove the card, the operating system goes back to B&N normal.

Any of the Nook Tablets (including the new HD) can be booted from a card. Do a Google search on "n2a card," and it'll come right up.

I had the card on my old Nook Color, and it worked well. I used the Kindle app and bought more books from Amazon than from B&N.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
JuliMonroe said:
"Rooting" by altering the software operating system is against the B&N terms of service. Using an SD card to boot to a different operating system isn't. When you remove the card, the operating system goes back to B&N normal.

Any of the Nook Tablets (including the new HD) can be booted from a card. Do a Google search on "n2a card," and it'll come right up.

I had the card on my old Nook Color, and it worked well. I used the Kindle app and bought more books from Amazon than from B&N.
ahhh, good. that's what I was thinking of. That's helpful to the OP.

Betsy
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top