Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this posted, sorry if I missed the thread? There's a new update for the Kindle Touch which includes the Time to Read feature that's on the Paperwhite and also book covers. Very nice update!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200790650&tag=kbpst-20

This software update includes the following new features:

A new user interface
Whispersync for Voice
Enhanced Parental Controls
Book Covers
Time-to-Read
Recommended Content
Enhanced book samples
Navigate graphic novels, and comics

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just applied it, so nice! Cheers to Amazon for this!  ;D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Looks like they're making the Touch function very similarly to the PW. I'm sure Touch owners will be happy (though many will not like the suggested content at the bottom of the home page, in cover view, until they learn they can turn it off - it's in the settings).

·
Registered
137 Posts
I applied this to my daughter's Touch and so far I really like it (so does she). I like the parental controls, she likes being able to see the book covers. The time to read feature will be handy right before bedtime (for both of us).  ;D

·
Registered
663 Posts
THANKS!  Time to read will be very useful.  Oh, and a word of caution.  Your Kindle won't automatically update unless you use it on a wifi network -- at least occasionally.  I have never enabled wifi on mine, and if you read the auto update info carefully, it specifies that updates will happen automatically over wifi.  Evidently, Amazon is through paying for that kind of data transfer.  So, plug into usb and cable it over.  Just takes a minute.

Elaine
Norman, OK

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
How can it have whispersync for voice with no speakers?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
BTackitt said:
wiccanhot said:
The Kindle Touch does have speakers. Only the Paperwhite and Baby K don't.
That's correct, you can listen to audiobooks on the Touch.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Oh okie.. was confusing the touch and baby k... DD and DS#1 have baby Ks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That was a very nice and totally unexpected upgrade. I had laid my Touch to rest beside my other old Kindles, but now I think I might start using it again during the day and my PW when I need the light. That should make it last longer, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
BTackitt said:
Whispersync for Voice really means, though, that you can sync up your reading with the linked audible book. . . so, for example, on my PM, there's no audio, but if I have a linked Kindle and Audible book, I can read on Kindle, then switch to my audio player and listen, picking up where I left of reading by eye.

Also. . . .for those of you who have commented that you don't leave WiFi on. . . . .no, your update won't come automatically over 3G -- it's a large file if similar updates to other devices are any guide. But you can do it manually via physical USB connection or, if you have a WiFi network, just leave your device with wifi on for a few days and see if it comes on its own. You can plug it in when you're not using it if you are worried about the battery. When the updates come via WiFi, they may download while you're reading, but won't start to install until the device is sleeping.

Also, you should probably realize that the other syncing stuff -- kindle to voice, sample to purchased book -- needs wireless on. :-\

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just did the update, and it looks really good.

One question. Is it my imagination, or is the text sharper? It's subtle but it looks better to me.

Kind of funny. It's been "learning my reading speed" for several minutes now. Guess I'm hard to learn. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmm. I just did a search for something and it turns out that none of my books are indexed. They certainly were before the upgrade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing happened to me, none of my books are indexed. I left it alone since yesterday and It indexed a couple and then stopped. Is there any way to force it to index?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm so glad that Amazon chose to add these features to the KT. The main reason why I wanted a Paperwhite Kindle was for the Time-to-Read feature, but just couldn't afford it at the time it was announced. Then I kept hearing about all of the lighting issues and I didn't want to dish out $120+ for a Kindle that I might have to keep returning. So I've been doing most of my reading on my Nexus 7 for the past few months. Now with the update, this will renew my interest in my KT again (minus the lighted screen)!  :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried the time to read feature last night and it worked great! I'm glad they came out with this update. And I finally got my kindle to reindex the books. It would only index with the power on. If it went to sleep it would stop. Not sure if this is normal, but it worked. :-\

·
Registered
274 Posts
teralpar said:
I'm so glad that Amazon chose to add these features to the KT. The main reason why I wanted a Paperwhite Kindle was for the Time-to-Read feature
same here. That and when you buy from a sample, starting where you left off in the sample. So silly that it wouldn't do that before.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My Touch is significantly faster now.  Is that the update or do I just have a better install this time around for some reason?

Elaine
Norman, OK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts