Kindle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
History_lover, can you send me a link so I can see what cover your taking about?

My wife needs a lighted cover and we've just started looking.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
history_lover said:
Won't that make it difficult or impossible to pop the light back into the case?
Nope!! I finally got around to doing this last night. I just put it on the outside of the arm. It shuts pretty much just fine. I say "pretty much" because the little bit of tape that hangs down does keep the arm from completely snapping back in. The light does shut off though. It was SOOOO much better for my eyes last night!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Also, what I did was fold the tape over on itself, leaving about 1/8" unexposed - that's the part that I stuck to the end of the arm.  At least it's a temporary fix until I think of another way to block the light. (But that might  not be for awhile.)  LOL

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
KimberlyinMN said:
Nope!! I finally got around to doing this last night. I just put it on the outside of the arm. It shuts pretty much just fine. I say "pretty much" because the little bit of tape that hangs down does keep the arm from completely snapping back in. The light does shut off though. It was SOOOO much better for my eyes last night!
Can't hurt to try - thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
KimberlyinMN said:
Also, what I did was fold the tape over on itself, leaving about 1/8" unexposed - that's the part that I stuck to the end of the arm. At least it's a temporary fix until I think of another way to block the light. (But that might not be for awhile.) LOL
Can you post an up-close picture of how you did this? I'm interested in doing this as well. Most of my reading time is in bed right before I go to sleep for the night.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
laurie_lu said:
Can you post an up-close picture of how you did this? I'm interested in doing this as well. Most of my reading time is in bed right before I go to sleep for the night.
I modified this by using gaffer's tape. It's a matte tape that can be removed and doesn't leave any sticky residue. With the modified version, the sticky part of the tape doesn't bend around the end of the arm at all. I cut this at an angle so the sticky part is only on the straight arm, so this does not interfere with it completely closing now. The flash on my camera is awfully bright and makes the tape show up a bit more than it really does. In "real life" the matte black tape just blends into the light arm itself. AND... what I found last night, even with the shinier black duct tape, the flap doesn't even show up in a dark room.

This is the light closed.

Here are a few shots of it open.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
PS. I didn't buy the gaffer's tape for this project. My hubby is building something for his new photography hobby and he happened to have this out and I noticed it was matte. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for posting those.  Now I got a better understanding.  Where do you buy that type of tape?  I like how it doesn't leave a residue and it's matte.  Blends in with the color of the arm.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
I got my special tape and made a little light shade like in the pictures.  I must say it works quite well.  The tape can be repositioned without losing it's stickiness.  The case still closes tightly because the tape doesn't add any bulk.  I even added a large strip of this special tape across the back of the case because the case is quite slippery and I'm afraid I'd drop it.  The horizontal strip of tape gives me some 'grip' when I'm holding it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
laurie_lu said:
I even added a large strip of this special tape across the back of the case because the case is quite slippery and I'm afraid I'd drop it. The horizontal strip of tape gives me some 'grip' when I'm holding it.
Ooooh.... I'm going to do that too!! That would be so nice! I kind of wish that the back had that "rubberized" feel. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here's is my lighted cover with gaffers tape on the light. I have my Kindle tilted way back and there is no distracting light shinning in my eyes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts