Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else see the Kindle commercial where the guy is talking to the hot chick on the beach about Kindles? She pointedly says she's waiting for her husband to bring her a drink, and then he says he's also waiting on his husband? And then they turn around and see their two "husbands" talking at the bar?

What's the message here? Straight guys don't read, or don't read Kindles? Or if you are a straight guy and do read a Kindle, all the hot chicks will laugh at you?

It's all very weird.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
philstern said:
Anybody else see the Kindle commercial where the guy is talking to the hot chick on the beach about Kindles? She pointedly says she's waiting for her husband to bring her a drink, and then he says he's also waiting on his husband? And then they turn around and see their two "husbands" talking at the bar?

What's the message here? Straight guys don't read, or don't read Kindles? Or if you are a straight guy and do read a Kindle, all the hot chicks will laugh at you?

It's all very weird.
Gays are weird? I think that is a WEIRD (and offensive) opinion.

I suspect the message is that there are all kinds of people in the world and all kinds who use Kindles.

ETA: Just a hint: there are LGBTQ members of this forum who don't react well to homophobia.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
The message is that Kindle Paperwhites are good to read on while outside.
But gay guys need a hot chick to tell them this?

No, wait a minute! Gay men aren't technically savvy! That's what they're trying to say.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you're way over thinking this.  They show straight guys in beer commercials all the time.  Does that mean that gay people and women aren't allowed to drink beer?  When I saw the commercial I was happy to be a customer of a company that isn't afraid to have "the gays" in their commercial and help represent their brand.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
philstern said:

It's all very weird.
From your description, it sounds like the gay guy is laughing inwardly at the hot chick for thinking he was coming on to her. I'm offended on behalf of hot chicks. I mean, hot chicks get hit on *constantly*, and this *one* time a hot chick assumes a guy is hitting on her who actually isn't, and she's made to look all conceited and stuff. Very offensive.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's focused marketing. Go read the studies about when companies started marketing too other minority groups. It's the same thing.

You're thinking too much into it or trying to hard to be funny.

Edit: This response wasn't aimed at Becca, but at the OP.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JRTomlin said:
Gays are weird? I think that is a WEIRD (and offensive) opinion.

I suspect the message is that there are all kinds of people in the world and all kinds who use Kindles.

ETA: Just a hint: there are LGBTQ members of this forum who don't react well to homophobia.
I said the commercial is weird, not gay people. There are plenty of straight people on this board who don't react well to hetrophobia. Just a hint from your friends at SAAAF.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
It may be one of the first time we've seen "the gays" in TV commercials. I can guarantee it won't be the last. The homophobes out there might as well get used to it and there is nothing surprising that Amazon is one of the first. Their support for the community has been consistent.

Amazon doesn't have to "show they are hip" by supporting the LGBT community. They have done it quite publically for years.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I think it was just a gag. The sales point is that you can read a Kindle in sunlight. To make the ad interesting, they made the guy gay. There was no subtext of "I want to get into your pants," as we may have thought.

It's just a gag. No big deal one way or the other, to me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
philstern said:
I said the commercial is weird, not gay people. There are plenty of straight people on this board who don't react well to hetrophobia. Just a hint from your friends at SAAAF.
I know I am going to regret this, but what does SAAAF stand for?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
philstern said:
But gay guys need a hot chick to tell them this?

No, wait a minute! Gay men aren't technically savvy! That's what they're trying to say.
The whole point aside from the paperwhite being great for outside reading was that the guy wasn't hitting on her. He honestly just wanted to talk about the paperwhite.

I think it's a pretty fun commercial.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Do you think there'd be a market for a "Save the Hot Chicks: Down with Kindle" bumper sticker? Cause I could totally make one. Well, maybe not "Save the Hot Chicks." There are some unfortunate whale connotations to the "Save the ____" phrase. That might bother the hot chicks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Patrick Szabo said:
I know I am going to regret this, but what does SAAAF stand for?
Straight As An Arrow Forever.

I just made it up because I suddenly felt like straight people being attacked for mentioning gay guys in commercials needed their own club to throw around too.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
philstern said:
So daring to appear in an ad is "heteophobia". Well, we're not going back in the closet to suit you so get over yourself.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
philstern said:

It's all very weird.
It is called humour. Nothing else. My wife cracked up the first time she saw it, and called me in the next time it came on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.