Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 4/15/21: According to this Reddit post, it's rolling out to the U.S., Canada, and the UK starting today.
___

This works for the book you're reading, but only users from India, New Zealand, and Mexico are seeing it so far - and not all of them. I am guessing Amazon is rolling this out slowly, or randomly selecting certain devices in certain countries.

Of course, this is only going to be for Kindles without Special Offers (ads).

From Reddit user Janp8:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/mo3pqf

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I have LITERALLY been asking for this since July of 2008 when my very first Kindle was delivered. :D

FWIW, both my Voyage and PW(10) have 5.13.5. I suspect my Oasis(9) does as well. None are exhibiting this behavior. :)

Reactions: Elk

·
5,931 Posts
I too already have the 5.13.5 update but there is still nowhere in settings that I can see to choose this option and it's not specifically mentioned in the "what's new" section either.

I don't mind this update but I'm not sure how useful it will be - like many of us, I use a cover that auto opens my Kindle so I only get a one second glimpse of the screensaver before the text appears anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I too already have the 5.13.5 update but there is still nowhere in settings that I can see to choose this option and it's not specifically mentioned in the "what's new" section either.

I don't mind this update but I'm not sure how useful it will be - like many of us, I use a cover that auto opens my Kindle so I only get a one second glimpse of the screensaver before the text appears anyway.
Likewise!

·
Registered
14 Posts
To be honest, a cover that is only momentarily shown when you open your Kindle doesn't sound too much of an exciting update to me. But I know it's the small things that often add enjoyment for others so a toggle on/off option for the cover screensaver will keep everyone happy if [when] this option rolls out worldwide.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts

You're right, Linda .... this was probably a much bigger deal before the auto-on/off covers. Still, I wouldn't mind it. :)

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
A current book cover as a screen saver would likely make me rethink my use of auto-on-off covers.

One of the downsides of e-books (for me) that I have mentioned over the years is I don't remember covers, titles, and authors as well as I did with paper books. I think that is directly attributable to never seeing them again once I've opened a book to read - particularly individual titles!

With paper books, the title, author, and cover were reinforced every time I stopped reading, put my bookmark in place, and closed the cover. I'd love to have that reinforcement again. I suppose I could mitigate that somewhat by using cover views instead of list views on my home page and returning to the home page each time I stop reading, then re-opening from the home page each time I start again. That seems like too many extra steps now. :unsure:

·
5,931 Posts
One of the downsides of e-books (for me) that I have mentioned over the years is I don't remember covers, titles, and authors as well as I did with paper books. I think that is directly attributable to never seeing them again once I've opened a book to read - particularly individual titles!

With paper books, the title, author, and cover were reinforced every time I stopped reading, put my bookmark in place, and closed the cover. I'd love to have that reinforcement again.
I'm the same. I have more than once had someone ask "what are you reading", only to realize I couldn't remember the title or author or sometimes both, especially when it was a new (to me) author. I just today finished reading a book in a series I really like and while I can tell you who the author is, I can't for the life of me remember what the book was called.

So yes, the reinforcement of seeing the cover every time you start and stop reading, as we had with paper books, would be great, but I don't think I want to lose the auto on/off cover. Yet another 'first world' problem!

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
A current book cover as a screen saver would likely make me rethink my use of auto-on-off covers.

With paper books, the title, author, and cover were reinforced every time I stopped reading, put my bookmark in place, and closed the cover. I'd love to have that reinforcement again. I suppose I could mitigate that somewhat by using cover views instead of list views on my home page and returning to the home page each time I stop reading, then re-opening from the home page each time I start again. That seems like too many extra steps now. :unsure:

FWIW, I more or less do this ... 'cause I'm often reading more than one thing at a time and on more than one device. I've found all the syncing works best when you go back home after every reading session. So that's become a sort of habit for me and I use cover view so I'm seeing 3 book covers each time I do.

I'm the same. I have more than once had someone ask "what are you reading", only to realize I couldn't remember the title or author or sometimes both, especially when it was a new (to me) author. I just today finished reading a book in a series I really like and while I can tell you who the author is, I can't for the life of me remember what the book was called.

So yes, the reinforcement of seeing the cover every time you start and stop reading, as we had with paper books, would be great, but I don't think I want to lose the auto on/off cover. Yet another 'first world' problem!
Yeah, me, too. But it does help to go 'home' every time I stop reading. :)

I won't give up the auto on/off covers, I don't think, but if I want to check out the book cover it's nice to know I can just toggle the device off and back on to look at it any time.

Reactions: fos

·
5,931 Posts
No sign of it yet on my updated Kindles.

I wonder if you will have to have a book open for it to work or if it will automatically display the last book accessed. If the former, and it's your habit to go to 'home' every time you finish reading in order to facilitate the occasionally glitchy syncing with other devices, then it won't work. I'm guessing it will be the last book opened.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have it. First check that you have the update and then do a restart. I plugged my in before I did a restart but not sure that is necessary. After restart you have to go into device info under settings and turn the option on. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I have it on my PW .... not on my Voyage yet. It was a sort of pop up when I closed what I was just reading. If you don't see that, it's in settings under device options.

It shows the cover of the most recent thing you had open. Very cool! :D If you went to home, it will still show the most recent thing opened -- the one that would show up as the largest cover if you use cover view.

I'm going to try the restart on my Voyage and see if it shows up.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still waiting for it...

I'm on the latest firmware, and I've restarted multiple times with wi-fi on - still no sign of it in device options.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I did a restart on my Voyage and didn't get it .... It's probably pretty random .... no way to directly download it; you just have to wait for it. As noted you DO, apparently, need to be on 5.13.5.

Also .... If you have 'special offers' you won't see it. I'm not even sure you'll see the option via settings. I would guess not.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I don't have it yet on either my Oasis or Voyage, both on 5.13.5, but will keep checking! No special offers on either. Does anyone know if list vs cover view setting matters?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts