Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon is known for great customer service. (It is important that we don't bite the hand that feeds us...read on):

Fact: I am on my third Kindle; each has been returned and replaced...No questions asked. I have also exchanged and or returned other non-K Amazon items no questions asked. To me...that is great customer service.

Fact: On this site and on the Discussions forum; I have witnessed many "I wish K.2 had this that...etc." Many many complaints about button placement, size...thickness...etc. It looks to me that Amazon is bending over backwards trying to please everyone...even offering an option to choose between K1 and K2. I believe that is very generous. I just bought a new laptop 2 mos ago and the model is already being replaced by another version...Nobody is offering me a choice there. Also, Amazon was replacing broken Kindles due to user negligence at half price...hello? I know that if I drop my laptop there will be no such offer!!

Amazon: It looks a bit to me...that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we, in general, don't cut this out...Amazon could very well say you know what: 30 day guarantee and that's it period. K1, K2 tough. No replacements no options no anything. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. We need to look at the manner in which OTHER companies handle such matters; we wouldn't be so quick to criticize Amazon. Microsoft wouldn't help me with a Microsoft question unless I forked up 32 dollars. I told them to keep it; I'd find the answer elsewhere...and it was their product still under warranty.

Also, DO NOT underestimate the power of Oprah or TV in general. Remember back in the day when she went down to a size 8 and people en mass follwed her diet plan; not to mention the Susan Powter 15 minutes and Millions fame...or the Suzanne Somers merchandise.

I do strongly believe that Amazon had no clue the repercussions that Oprah's K1 show was going to create. It probably did tenfold + more than anticipated and it couldn't have been easy for them in any way. It can't be easy trying to keep K.1 users happy while trying to keep up with technology and to make good on requested improvements to K.2. all while offering a choice and meeting demands. (I can't help but thinking of the Lucy episode with the chocolate candy on the conveyer belt...that is probably what they are up against.) I think this current situation was "coincidental" poor timing and a case of being totally overwhelmed. I don't think Amazon out to dupe anyone.

I'm certain anyone who comes up with a product wishes it could do so well; but there is no way of knowing what the outcome will be; if that were the case we would all be entrepreneurs and wealthy. Look at the "mood ring" craze the creator probably thought he or she would be lucky to sell 50 let alone millions. (OK..I'm dating myself; but you get my point, I'm sure.)

This is just my opinion; and I'm sure Amazon is making money hand over fist...but I do think that they have been fair (to their ability) and generous with their policy. I know when I first got my K...I called them several times with questions and they answered them fully without expecting me to fork over $$ to answer a simple question or ten...lol. Let's not get greedy and cut our noses to spite our faces...Amazon could be far worse.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm still waiting for my Kindle and totally agree with sjc. Amazon is known for their customer service. Why would they stop now? I think they will do what they can to make everyone who has been waiting happy. If you're not happy after they've presented you with their offer than you can still cancel the order without any repercussion or money lost.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just a ton of lost time, when I could of either A had the kindle that they stopped sending out so that I could have this option (without informing us that that is what they are doing) or B Going with a different brand.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Benjamin:  I hear and understand your plight...I do.  I just don't think that it was done maliciously that's all.  I did wait for mine...8 months while I saved up the money from the introduction of K.1 until I could spare the expense; with no choice between versions.  Well worth it...hang in there; you won't be disappointed.  I know it is frustrating. 

·
Registered
211 Posts
The estimated ship date was there when I ordered back in Dec.  It was no surprise that I would have a 3-month wait.  According to the estimate, I still have a month to go.  Amazon hasn't done anything wrong in that respect so I can't really get mad at them.  If I wanted it sooner, I would have gotten one from a third party, but I would rather get one from the source.  Everyone else who back ordered would have the same info when they clicked the order button.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benjamin:  One more note that you might appreciate.  I have a cousin Courtney who has the Sony...after seeing my Kindle last week; she is returning her Sony for the Kindle.  We compared book prices...Kindle hands down.  She nearly flipped over the Whispernet.  She said she didn't think she would mind the whole computer usb thing; but admits that now, it has become a chore.  I told her she is in for a wait.  Her reply; "Now that I've seen what the Kindle can do, I think the wait will be worth the sacrifice." 

She said she was stuck in a huge traffic jam a while back and if she had the Kindle she could have downloaded the next vampire book in her series and wouldn't have minded the traffic. I told her, been there done that. 

Benjamin: Trust me; you won't be sorry...I know the wait is a killer.  I really do feel bad. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BambiB:  Your Welcome.  

I just feel that sometimes we get too comfortable with a good thing...and need to be reminded of just how much worse it would be without it.  Thanks for backing me up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
sjc said:
BambiB: Your Welcome.

I just feel that sometimes we get too comfortable with a good thing...and need to be reminded of just how much worse it would be without it. Thanks for backing me up.
No problem! I am always here for you! ;)
BTW...do you participate in Race for the Cure? I saw your ribbon. I chair a committee on the board for our local race and was wondering.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't; but I do support the society and the local support group who donate wigs to those battling.  My mother paid $500 for her wig and didn't receive any offer for help until months after she forked up the cash.  I do as much as I can with the little time I have.  I work, run both of our households, and have been to nearly 200 appointments with my mother.  She just finished her 37th radiation treatment. I've also been going back and forth myself; testing, watching and trying to combat my own breast health issues.  Thanks for all your support for the cause.  Fight the battle; win the war. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two Kindle "waiters" have vented and have since calmed down.  I'm glad; I don't want them to miss out on a great thing.  Yes, the wait is frustrating but the K is so worth it.  I promise all those waiting; it is all that you thought it would be and more.  If you love to read, you will love the Kindle 1 and or 2.  I really and sincerely, don't think that Amazon is trying to dupe anyone...I just think it is a case of bad bad timing and the backlash from the O show orders overwhelming them.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
SJC - what a way with words you have!  KUDOS to you! and great big HUGS

I am glad your mother has you with her and you have the patience and love to help her out.  You are a true diamond in this world of mud balls.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anju:  Thanks.  A little compliment goes a long way for me these days.  If it's one thing I am passionate aboout; it's my Kindle.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks...yes we musn't forget our bags.  I told Bacardi Jim he needs to get a Vera.  I told him it's only a "real" man that can pull off a Vera...I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he reads that post...lmao.

I'm glad you agree; I really don't think that a company that has had such great customer service, up to this point; woud jeopardize that by pulling any sort of stunt, not with today's economy.  I just think they were overwhelmed...it happens.  It just bugs me that the masses complaint list went on and on about what they want to see in K.2 then it comes out (we'll know in 22 min) they are ticked...go figure!!  Yes, the timing stinks with the K.1 backlog; but that's life.  Careful what you wish for...lol.

·
Registered
677 Posts
SJC;
Thanks for such a well-written comment. My frustration has been all the complaints from people that make if sound like Amazon had defrauded them. But then, no money has changed hands, and the people were not sent something other than what they ordered. When I ordered my Kindle, it took 6 weeks. I have been thrilled with it, and do not plan on upgrading.

I think we always want what we don't have. I am just waiting to see what the news conference is about. Maybe there will be a new version, maybe not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts