Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kindle v1 was just updated to software version 1.2 last night. Since then I've noticed that occasionally page turns will NOT produce a black flicker refresh on the entire screen: the screen does a selective refresh of just the body text and location areas! Has anyone else noticed this?

This would be nice if it was the default behavior, but so far it only occurs about 20% of the time for me when turning pages. Now it's a bit distracting having two kinds of page turning behavior. I might be calling Amazon soon to get the scoop from them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon closer investigation, this is happening alternately about 50% of the time: flicker - no flicker - flicker - no flicker ....

Is Amazon trying to emulate the lack of a "page turn" for every other page in a real book? Is so, why? I'm hoping that my Kindle may be defective because I don't like this behavior.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine doesn't consistently do it.  However, when you fast click forward or back a number of pages, it seems to find the right page right away.  Did it do that before?  I seem to remember that it page flashed every page until it caught up.  But maybe not.  I think it's a bit faster too.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Yep, noticed that right away. I think I posted about it in the upgrade thread, but I don't think anyone else maybe one other had that.

It does it more frequently when I go back a page and then forward again fast. I sometimes turn pages to eagerly before I read the last line ;D and so I go back and then forward again. Maybe every 3rd page turn or so, but mostly when I go fast to a page. Especially if I had already been at that page.

Its like the letters appear from within instead of the flash appear, they just are "there". Don't know how else to describe it. I know it was the upgrade as I was reading the same book before and after and I had never seen that before.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How strange. I'm flipping through pages right now and it does appear to be happening about 20% of the time (so far).

I'm not sure I even would have noticed had you not mentioned it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I hadn't even noticed until I read this. I must not be very observant. Love that the sync and check for new items and delete is now on home page. Sweet!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wouldn't call it a problem. It's faster and looks better than the "black flash" page turn. It's just odd that it happens inconsistently.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was the other one who also saw this.  For me it was happening every other page.

Every other page, the black reverse image, and then on the other pages,
the characters just visibly morph into the characters for the next page.

The morphing is slow enough that for a second or so the type looks too light,
sort of greyish, but then settles in to the darker characters with good contrast.

I think I prefer this to what we had before, because it's faster to turn pages as a result.

I think someone must have decided to collect two pages worth in one swoop, into memory, and whatever the reverse-image is doing, it's done in the background while reading the first of two pages.  And then the characters of the next page are able to 'flash' display, needing no added time that we're used to for every page.

There are times I'll get 5 pages in a row that are all doing the reverse image first.   
I think that may be because the memory spaces that are being swapped into and out are full and not cleared.

On the whole it's visibly faster as a result because usually the next page is 'ready' due to some background processing.

At least, that's my theory.  The new E-Ink screen is able to do this faster due to basically speedier
processing of that newer firmware.  Ours is done with software tricks with memory space usage and some kind of buffering.

This is a good sign in that they want the K1's to get somewhat closer to the faster inherent abilities of the K2.  The zoom-in ability was another sign of interest in continuing to support the K1.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Yes, its faster, isn't it. It did freak me out for a bit though initially. It was like woah, is my Kindle dissolving?  :D

Morphing, that's a good word for it. Its pretty neat  ;D. It may not be able to do the dishes, but it can morph  ;D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm guessing that they are caching the text for a page at some point(s), so that they don't have to always actually read the file to fetch the text, so it is sometimes faster.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mine did this previously (I had 1.1.1), I noticed it within a few days of getting it.  When I showed it off to a friend, he noticed it right away--this was a bit over a month ago.

The alternating blanking for one page/refresh the next was not new with the upgrade, at least for me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, I was trying to describe what cachng would be, this type being swapped into areas of the speedier memory rather than onto the storage disc (which would make it very slow).

geko29, that's interesting.  I think most of us were reporting being on 1.08 -- 1.1 was done for people using a newer modem they were using (reported on the Amazon forum) that was not recognized by 1.08 so you've had it all along!  Some people get all the luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it has to do with print size.  It think it happens (full black to white) more often in small print sizes, but much less frequently in large print sizes.  Like it updates a whole "page" of data at a time, but if you are in a large print size it has to access the data less frequently.  I however have not had the time or patience to test this... too busy reading!

Jim

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had to check to see if mine did this and it does. I hadn't noticed it before. Hopefully I won't be too distracted by it now that I'm aware of it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:

I hadn't even noticed until I read this. I must not be very observant. Love that the sync and check for new items and delete is now on home page. Sweet!
yeah, I never paid attention to that either. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had 1.1.1 also, so that explains things. I had heard about the firmware update changing the refresh-amabob, but when I didn't notice a change, I thought I was missing something.  ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts