Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have Kindles already, do you only buy books you haven't read before, or do you also buy Kindle versions of dead tree books you have already read?

I don't know if I'd want to create an e-version of my entire library, but I definitely have a few "comfort books" for which I'd shell out the cash to buy Kindle versions as well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've already bought a few versions of Dead Tree Books that I already owned, and downloaded a few out of copyright ones like Edgar Allen Poe's complete works and The Picture of Dorian Gray. I subsequently donated the hard copies to charity. I saw no reason to hang onto them.

I have one or two books I would hang onto in Dead Tree Format, just for nostalgia's sake, mostly children's books.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Britt said:
For those of you that have Kindles already, do you only buy books you haven't read before, or do you also buy Kindle versions of dead tree books you have already read?

I don't know if I'd want to create an e-version of my entire library, but I definitely have a few "comfort books" for which I'd shell out the cash to buy Kindle versions as well.
I buy both. Very few of my DTBs are Kindleized, but I have replaced some that I regularly reread. I also buy (or get free) classic books as well as bargain books that I haven't read yet. Not everything I buy are bargain books, but many are new authors and books for me.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Many if the books  I want on my Kindle would be ones I already have in hardback. Unfortunately, most of them are not available for the Kindle,at least not yet.I have high hopes for the next few years, but won't start holding my breath for a while yet However I am going to keep a mix of old favorites and things I have always wanted to read with new items as they come out or find out about them through this board.

·
Registered
731 Posts
, and are three DTBs that I have repurchased. I'm sure there will be more...I check on some authors frequently and if I see a cheap edition, I'll buy it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a LOT of comfort books.  My favorite re-readers, but regularly buy new ones.  As a matter of fact, that's what I'm off to do now.  Ms. Bujold's latest was released yesterday

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have thought about this issue on more than one occasion.  Per usual there are some favorites around the house that I will always keep.  However, I don't see the point of buying any of these in Kindle format.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are a few books that I think that I will buy for the Kindle that I already have hard copies of, mainly so that I can refer to them more easily during book club! 

But there are also some that I have read over and over and would love to have on hand.  Especially for the times when I want to read, but not have to think too hard, so something familiar will be just right.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I mostly buy new books but have gotten many of the classics, which are very cheap or free, that I have already read.  For current-ish books I am not likely to buy an e-version of a book I've read on paper even if I really liked it. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been buying kindle versions of some of DTBs I have, ones i like to re-read. Howver, if the kindle version is topaz, i won't buy it if I have the DTV.

I have also been buying new ones (well new to me) and some i had read before but lost to a fire and never replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ScottBooks said:
How do you like this updated version of The Stand? I've read it twice over the years. The last read was probably at least 10 years ago. I've ordered the sample, mainly to verify its formatting. Is there anything off in it? I'm stoked 400 pages have been added so he can really flesh it out. Somebody in the comments complained some about the updating of commentary, etc. to fit the times for when this version was published.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I didn't really read phsical books before I got my Kindle. I almost exclusively listened to audiobooks. There have been several books that I've listened to over the years that I purchased for my Kindle. The Outlander series, In Death series, and many of Nora Roberts trilogies were deemed important enough to kindlize.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Britt said:
I personally have not bought any Kindle book versions of my home collection. :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
When both of these were cheap enough for me to justify my re-purchase, I went for them:

Edit: No idea how an image of The Stand originally got attached to my post. I actually don't have that one.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I haven't kindlized my DTBs yet...but it will slowly happen. This is mostly due to my interest in new books and newer books tend to cost more than other books.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For me it depends on the book.  If it's one I've read over and over and still enjoy reading then yes I get it in Kindle edition.  For example the Stephanie Plum novels, the Southern Vampire books, and the Harry Potters (not yet available but I'll buy if they become available) are all books that I have to have for Kindle.  Also I am happy to report that I have only purchased one DTB since I received my Kindle last October.  Now all my books come in Kindle format and its only an issue for the ones I owned before I got my K.  I didn't buy them all at once either I've been buying them when the mood to read them strikes me.

rla1996

·
Registered
731 Posts
jmeaders said:
How do you like this updated version of The Stand? I've read it twice over the years. The last read was probably at least 10 years ago. I've ordered the sample, mainly to verify its formatting. Is there anything off in it? I'm stoked 400 pages have been added so he can really flesh it out. Somebody in the comments complained some about the updating of commentary, etc. to fit the times for when this version was published.
Honestly it had been a few years since I'd read the "original". I didn't notice much difference between the two. (Unlike the horrid "improvements" to the original Gunslinger).

·
Registered
795 Posts
One of the insidious things about the kindle is that once you've read one or two books on it, DTBs begin to feel like a real hassle to read. Especially if they are big, thick DTBs. So I have slowly found myself rebuying some of my old favorites for the kindle. It is just not as much fun reading DTBs any more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts