Kindle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 480 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I ask because Amazon specifically says in the Users Guide that, with a cover, you may have to set the sensitivity up some. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, though if you have a cover that doesn't fit flush I can see there being some give when you press so you'd need to press harder for it to register. A fitted cover shouldn't be much different to naked, though. So I wanted to hear the thoughts of some real person who'd actually used it. :)
Do you have a location number for that? I can't find it in the version of the User's Guide I've been reading on the iPad (which happens to be the British version--perhaps it's not in there :D)

Yeah, slightly raised would be an improvement. But as I was examining mine last night it occurred to me that, really, the 'screen' goes edge to edge. It's just that in those areas there's a haptic sensor -- kind of like on my phone where there's a row of always-there icons on the bottom. They never change, so they're not really part of the screen, but they are part of the physical material that makes the screen. That's why I think there's no braille bump like on the f and g of a physical keyboard.
Good reason. I've been thinking of putting a tiny drop of Elmer's next to the line--can be removed with water...but I'll see if I just get used to it first.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Do you have a location number for that? I can't find it in the version of the User's Guide I've been reading on the iPad (which happens to be the British version--perhaps it's not in there :D)

Betsy
Around loc 525. It says it under Feedback Settings:

"If your Kindle is in a cover, we recommend the High setting."

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
OK, found it looking at the Guide on my V--at location 521, it says "If your Kindle is in a cover, we recommend the High setting."

How strange....

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I keep switching mine 'cause sometimes I feel like I'm not feeling it/it's not working and sometimes it does. Mostly I think I've just not yet learned where my thumb needs to sit.

It's not going back, though . . . . . I don't often get viscerally attached to things but . . . wow . . . . it's . . . . like . . . . AMAZING! :eek: I'm newly in awe looking at it this morning rather than the PW I'm used to getting my paper on. :D (I switched the subscription yesterday.)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
So, even with the Zon cover it's still very light? And there's no problem with the page press? Do you have the regular or the leather cover?

I've used mine for half a day now and think I'm probably going to want a cover but am not sure about the top-flip origami. And I don't want to add either weight or bulk though, of course, any cover will add some. I'd just like to minimize that. I also read that with a cover you need to set the pressure sensitivity up.

I think I'll swing by Best Buy today and see if they have any in stock I can take a look at.
I think it still feels light, but maybe just because it's smaller my mind thinks it is. :D My scale shows the PW2 in the Amazon cover weighs 12 oz. and the Voyage with the leather Amazon cover weighs 11 oz. So I guess it's not much lighter, but with it being thinner and smaller, it feels lighter to me. I love being able to get the kindle out so easily. Much easier than getting the PW out of it's cover.

I actually have the leather cover and the non-leather one. They both feel nice. The leather one is a pebbled leather. The other one has a smooth feel to it. Both are nice and I don't have a problem with either. I would choose based on the color I wanted since both are nice.

No problems with page press. I have the feedback set to "high" and the pressure set to "low". Works great and haven't had any problems with that so far.

As you said, every cover is going to add some bulk, but I feel since these are form fitting that they would probably add the least amount of bulk. I haven't seen any others in person though to compare.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
KindleGirl said:
I think it still feels light, but maybe just because it's smaller my mind thinks it is. :D My scale shows the PW2 in the Amazon cover weighs 12 oz. and the Voyage with the leather Amazon cover weighs 11 oz. So I guess it's not much lighter, but with it being thinner and smaller, it feels lighter to me. I love being able to get the kindle out so easily. Much easier than getting the PW out of it's cover.

I actually have the leather cover and the non-leather one. They both feel nice. The leather one is a pebbled leather. The other one has a smooth feel to it. Both are nice and I don't have a problem with either. I would choose based on the color I wanted since both are nice.

No problems with page press. I have the feedback set to "high" and the pressure set to "low". Works great and haven't had any problems with that so far.

As you said, every cover is going to add some bulk, but I feel since these are form fitting that they would probably add the least amount of bulk. I haven't seen any others in person though to compare.
Thanks for your thoughts, KindleGirl . . . . . and appreciate the extra effort of actually weighing them. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
bordercollielady said:
My only issue - and I think its just going to take awhile to get used to - is that - if I take my thumb away - it takes me awhile to figure out exactly where to put it back. Its not just a matter of "feeling the button" as I did on the basic Kindle. But I think I will get used to it. I'm just so happy not to have to move my thumb out to the swipe the screen.
I've gotten used to the location of the sensors. If you look down the edge of the white screen and mentally divide it into thirds: Put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the bottom of the screen and you page forward; put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the top and you page back. I can do this in the dark.

Overall, I'm very pleased upgrading from the Paperwhite 1.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
So I was admiring my new toy just now, and noticed a 'smudge' in the upper left corner. Circular -- so I wiped it with my sleeve but it wouldn't go away. "Hmmm," I thought, "That's weird."  And then it hit me: that's the light sensor that lets it dim itself when it gets dark.  Duh! :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Incipio top-hinge cover that I bought has a cut-out near the page turn areas. I don't know why - it's not necessary - but in any case, that cut out gives me a reference for where to hold & press to turn pages, when I'm reading in the dark.

I noticed that the page turn buttons don't page forward when you search for a word in your book, a title or author in your library, or in the store, and you're presented with several pages of results - you have to swipe. I'll send an email to kindle feedback, suggesting they update the software, but will probably wait a few days (they're probably overwhelmed at the moment).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Kal said:
I've gotten used to the location of the sensors. If you look down the edge of the white screen and mentally divide it into thirds: Put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the bottom of the screen and you page forward; put your thumb at the 1/3 mark from the top and you page back. I can do this in the dark.

Overall, I'm very pleased upgrading from the Paperwhite 1.
Thanks for the tip.. I will try that today. But I do think they could have made it easier to feel in the dark!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Eltanin Publishing said:
The Incipio top-hinge cover that I bought has a cut-out near the page turn areas. I don't know why - it's not necessary - but in any case, that cut out gives me a reference for where to hold & press to turn pages, when I'm reading in the dark.
That might help too.. I don't want a top-hinge cover but maybe there will be other covers with cut-outs.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well, after reading a while I must say I am happy. My screen is perfect. light is even. No splotches. Text is super clear and dark. Page turn buttons work great. At first I was getting thumb cramps because I have large hands and long thumbs. I thought I had to keep my thumb bent and press exactly on top of the page turn line in order to turn the page. Now I just grip it naturally (guess I was afraid of hurting the tiny thing) and my thumb reaches almost to the page back button, but I have had no issues with accidental page backs or page forwards.  I have the feedback setting on high and pressure setting on low and still have no accidental page turns. The auto light setting has worked perfect so far in varying light levels.

Not sure about the Amazon cover though. I'm not hating it or anything, but it just doesn't feel good in my hands. Is the kindle really secure in it? The Paperwhite 2 was very secure in its cover. I had to wrestle to get it out. My Voyage just drops into its cover and lifts right out. Not sold on the flip top either. Will be waiting for some good after market covers.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I thought I had no interest in a V, but now . . . . Well . . . . I don't like covers -- I like sleeves. So when Oberon stopped making sleeves, I bought three. At that time, the Touch was the latest Kindle. Touch just, I mean just, fit in the sleeve. Both PWs also fit in sleeves perfectly. It looks like V will also. So now I probably will get it. Should read through this thread first. End of November? I'm waiting until mid November for my iPhone 6 Plus. :(

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
derek alvah said:
Not sure about the Amazon cover though. I'm not hating it or anything, but it just doesn't feel good in my hands. Is the kindle really secure in it? The Paperwhite 2 was very secure in its cover. I had to wrestle to get it out. My Voyage just drops into its cover and lifts right out. Not sold on the flip top either. Will be waiting for some good after market covers.
FWIW, it's a similar design to the Fire covers which really hold the device very securely. I don't think you need to worry about it falling out; it's just easier to take in and out on purpose. (Some people, apparently, do periodically put kindles in and out of covers and didn't like the wrestling required. :) )

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I thought I had no interest in a V, but now . . . . Well . . . . I don't like covers -- I like sleeves. So when Oberon stopped making sleeves, I bought three. At that time, the Touch was the latest Kindle. Touch just, I mean just, fit in the sleeve. Both PWs also fit in sleeves perfectly. It looks like V will also. So now I probably will get it. Should read through this thread first. End of November? I'm waiting until mid November for my iPhone 6 Plus. :(
I have a V and a Touch and, if the Touch and the PWs fit in the sleeve, the V will. It's ever-so-slightly narrower than both the Touch and the PWs.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I have a V and a Touch and, if the Touch and the PWs fit in the sleeve, the V will. It's ever-so-slightly narrower than both the Touch and the PWs.

Betsy
And significantly thinner. :)

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Why do I read these threads? I had paid no attention to the Voyage. With my Fire, PW1 (or is it 2?), and iPad Mini I figure I have plenty of options to read from. The Voyage is thinner? Fits in purses better? Has page turner buttons? On my! I am so easy!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well with a heavy heart I packed up the Voyage and cover to return to Amazon this morning  :'(

The Screen on my device was great so that was not the reason for returning the Voyage.  Here are the reasons:

I found the touch screen to be a pain to use compared with the Paperwhite.  Maybe it was my Voyage, but the screen would not respond 50% of the time.  Also just trying to change the location to page for example at the bottom was a challenge.

For me the Voyage does not seem as one hand reader friendly, as I had hoped.  Its almost like the bezel is a little too small, to use the page turn buttons and hold the Kindle comfortably.  (This may vary greatly with hand size)

Lastly I found the auto brightness feature to be a wonky.  For example on my Voyage if you have the feature turned on it will still allow you to adjust the screen brightness manually.  That is great, but then the device will never auto adjust the brightness again.  If you toggle the setting, sometimes it still does not work.  :eek:

121 - 140 of 480 Posts