Kindle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 480 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
geko, sounds like you have a bad unit . . . . definitely contact Kindle CS and get them to replace it.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
CAR said:
Nice find! "When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future."
I am thinking now that may be the part that is not working correctly at the moment. But sure sounds like it will be fixable.
to me, this means "if you adjust the slider to a certain light setting while on autobrightness, you will exit autobrightness and use that fixed brightness setting in the future till you set auto brightness or a different fixed setting." And it is working perfectly, it just isn't what we want.

·
Registered
507 Posts
well it looks like mine will have to go back to best buy, the light did not come on when the cover opened and I have the kindle cover...rebooted and still nothing. I forced it on but after closing and opening it , it stayed off...I"m going to shut it down for the night but I'm in no mood for exchanging kindles till we get it right. Also found a spot where it would not recoginize my touch, I'm disappointed...I'll decide in the morning...

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
to me, this means "if you adjust the slider to a certain light setting while on autobrightness, you will exit autobrightness and use that fixed brightness setting in the future till you set auto brightness or a different fixed setting." And it is working perfectly, it just isn't what we want.
Yes I agree but they sure muddy the waters on this detail. Here is a quote from the Amazon Voyage webpage:
"The new adaptive front light automatically adjusts the brightness of the display based on your environment, and can even be fine-tuned further to your personal preferences."

·
Registered
558 Posts
CAR said:
Yes I agree but they sure muddy the waters on this detail. Here is a quote from the Amazon Voyage webpage:
"The new adaptive front light automatically adjusts the brightness of the display based on your environment, and can even be fine-tuned further to your personal preferences."
I can confirm that on mine, the autobrightness "remembers" settings I've chosen/adjusted while autobrightness was checked.

Here's how I did it. I tried this in a place with fairly low-medium light (just a desk lamp) so I could see the Kindle at both min and max light.

1. Sit down and restart kindle.
2. With auto brightness OFF, turn brightness all the way to max.
3. Turn autobrightness ON.
4. With autobrightness ON, slide brightness all the way to min/zero.
5. Turn autobrightness OFF, then slide the brightness back up.
6. Turn autobrightness back ON -- the Kindle dims to zero, because that is the setting you chose for that lighting situation when autobrightness was checked ON.

What I DON'T know is if resetting the kindle deletes your customizations. Or how to make it stop doing remembering, because I don't like it. lol. Trying to figure that out now -- does anyone else know?

ETA: Ok. So resetting the kindle doesn't do anything. Hmmm.

ETA2: I take it all back. I think I could get used to the adaptive lighting... :D

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
larryb52 said:
well it looks like mine will have to go back to best buy, the light did not come on when the cover opened and I have the kindle cover...rebooted and still nothing. I forced it on but after closing and opening it , it stayed off...I"m going to shut it down for the night but I'm in no mood for exchanging kindles till we get it right. Also found a spot where it would not recoginize my touch, I'm disappointed...I'll decide in the morning...
I'd go through Amazon first, myself. Even if purchased at Best Buy. They're likely to give you much less trouble.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My Voyage is awesome!  Love it!  The screen is perfect both lighting and text.  I have to get used to the page turn sensors and size but I'm happy!  The only think now is I want a cover to love.  I bought the Insipio top flip cover but not happy with it at all.  Unfortunately nothing out there I like right now :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I'd go through Amazon first, myself. Even if purchased at Best Buy. They're likely to give you much less trouble.
I changed my mind I'm keeping it , I got it going after 2 reboots last night, I'm still calling Amazon this morning...it seems good now but I have a few questions I would like to ask the kindle tech people about, for instance the bottom left where it shows the time left in the chapter, well it won't always change if you want to see say how much time till the book ends. It will if you advance the page. I'm sure there as usually as with any new device will be a software update. I like this reader way too much. I bought the ads off of it so its mine now...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
CAR said:
Nice find! "When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future."
I am thinking now that may be the part that is not working correctly at the moment. But sure sounds like it will be fixable.
Mine is working. Mine is set to auto bright and while reading in the bedroom Tues night I set the light at the level I like reading with. The auto wanted to make the screen darker than I like, so I moved it up to where I like it. Last night I was reading again in the bedroom, with the same lamps on that I had the night before, and when I opened the kindle it went right back to the screen brightness that I like and had set the night before.

It does not take itself out of auto brightness to do this. If I go into another room with different lighting it will still adjust to lighting in there. It just remembers what setting it uses for different light levels, so if you reset that, it should remember it next time it detects the same light level.

Mine seems to be working as described. :D

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
larryb52 said:
I called Amazon and they helped work out the issues, seems fine now , good suggestion Ann, thanks
Yay!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
KindleGirl said:
Regarding #2 and being able to personalize the auto brightness:

On page 9 of the Voyage user's guide, it has this posted. The way I read this is that you can personalize it at each light level and it will remember it.

Screen Light: Tap to access screen light controls. There are several ways to adjust screen brightness:
 Drag your finger along the slider until you reach the desired setting.
 Tap anywhere on the slider to select a specific setting.
 Tap the + sign to use a higher light setting, and tap the - sign to use a lower light setting.
Press and hold the "+" sign to select the maximum brightness setting. Press and hold the "-" sign to choose the minimum brightness setting.
Select Auto Brightness to enable the screen light to automatically adjust based on surrounding light. When Auto Brightness is enabled, you can still adjust the light using the slider and your Kindle uses that adjustment in the future. When reading or using your Kindle in the dark, use the Nightlight feature to gradually reduce the screen brightness over time as your eyes adjust. To enable Nightlight, go to Settings, Device Options then Screen Light.
Thanks for this. I wasn't going to turn on auto brightness since it was too dark for my eyes.. I will play with it today.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
KindleGirl said:
Mine is working. Mine is set to auto bright and while reading in the bedroom Tues night I set the light at the level I like reading with. The auto wanted to make the screen darker than I like, so I moved it up to where I like it. Last night I was reading again in the bedroom, with the same lamps on that I had the night before, and when I opened the kindle it went right back to the screen brightness that I like and had set the night before.

It does not take itself out of auto brightness to do this. If I go into another room with different lighting it will still adjust to lighting in there. It just remembers what setting it uses for different light levels, so if you reset that, it should remember it next time it detects the same light level.

Mine seems to be working as described. :D
I've not done a rigorous study, but I'd agree. I expect, too, that it might just take some time to 'learn'.

The only issue I've noticed is I sometimes don't feel the haptic response. Page is turning, but no vibration. I think what's happening is that my thumb is long enough that when I press down, I'm actually tapping the page (when holding in my right hand) and so don't get the vibration. Not a problem though -- as long as the page still turns. ;) It has made me more mindful of where my thumb is when holding it in my left hand, however. And I'm still learning what's the best way for me to hold it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do like the auto-brightness.  But i do think it needs a bit of work.  When I went into the bedroom with the light low last night, it set the brightness level 0.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
crisandria said:
I do like the auto-brightness. But i do think it needs a bit of work. When I went into the bedroom with the light low last night, it set the brightness level 0.
Well . . . . that makes sense. If there's very little ambient light, once your eyes adjust, you don't need much light on the kindle to see just fine. Maybe what you need to set is the Nightlight mode: Menu, settings, device options, screen light. With that turned on, when you go to a darker place, it will gradually dim the screen -- rather than just go suddenly dark. For it to work, you have to have auto-brightness on.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love my Voyage! First Kindle I've actually preferred to hold without a cover. Will probably keep my Amazon cover for protection or maybe look for a nice sleeve.

Can somebody help me figure out how to reset my auto brightness? I adjusted with the 'auto brightness' on and now it seems messed up. 

Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone, mostly lurker here but I do enjoy reading everyones opinions. Got my Voyage, love it. Was reading last night with just a lamp on & thought, hmmm, is this screen ok? I have a pw 1 & never had an issue but wondering if my Voyage has a yellow tint? Or am I imagining it?

Thanks for the responses,
Joanne

I think I have one at a 13 level & one at 19. Opinions?

·
Registered
507 Posts
what Amazon told me was with auto brightness on and in your darkest room you set the level you want and than hit the large - at the bottom to set your preferred minimum brightness. To set your auto max setting you do the opposite you find the brightest place you will read and adjust it to the level you like and hit the + at the top to lock it...I tried this with the tech and it works or least for now it does :) ...btw if you get in an area that it in between it adjusts between those 2 levels...hope that made sense...

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
niczac said:
Hi everyone, mostly lurker here but I do enjoy reading everyones opinions. Got my Voyage, love it. Was reading last night with just a lamp on & thought, hmmm, is this screen ok? I have a pw 1 & never had an issue but wondering if my Voyage has a yellow tint? Or am I imagining it?

Thanks for the responses,
Joanne

I think I have one at a 13 level & one at 19. Opinions?

Honestly: it doesn't matter what we think. Does it work for you? Though I'd also advise trying not to obsess over it and just read. If it doesn't keep you from getting lost in your book, then maybe it's not that big a deal.

And, for me, pictures never do the screens justice. I've tried taking pictures of my kindles and even though the screens look perfect to me in real life, the picture makes it look off.

But you've got 30 days to use it; give yourself time to play with it before you decide. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know pictures can never do it justice & it didn't bother me when I got it but reading last night it was noticeable to me.  My pw1 never had a yellow tint so, yes i will decide if its worth returning for a new unit or not.

Thanks

161 - 180 of 480 Posts