Kindle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
mooshie78 said:
Maybe because of the animated page turns and the land scape view that gives you two pages side by side like a paper book?

That's all I can think of for where they may be coming from in thinking the iPad is more "real book" like. Note they didn't say "paper like."

Just a thought. I still prefer my Kindle for reading books, iPad for reading other things (PDFs, newspapers, comics etc.) and all the non-reading functions.
I guess that could be. To me the animated page turn feels gimmicky. It distracts from the reading experience to me. But to each his own right? :D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
ak_popsicle said:
I guess that could be. To me the animated page turn feels gimmicky. It distracts from the reading experience to me. But to each his own right? :D
I agree - at first, it's cool but when you're actually trying to read, it's annoying. I always wind up turning it off on all my reading apps.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
PrimeTime said:
I own both the devices. In my opinion the iPad has more features and is more stylish compared to the Kindle.
I disagree about the iPad being more stylish. :)

As to features. . . . .yeah, I guess the iPad has more. . . but they're not features I want when I have time for reading. I just want to read.

That said, I will definitely consider an Android tablet sometime this year . . . waiting, for now, to see if the rumored tablet from Amazon materializes.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We own 2 ipads and will be getting a kindle.

I LOVE reading on my ipad - and can read for hours and the screen doesn't bother me. I prefer to read in bed at night with the light off, so the backlit screen is perfect. I hated having to use a book light or lamp before the iPad, but i admit this is a personal problem! LOL!!

I'm sure i will enjoy reading on DDs kindle, but it won't be MY primary device. The child that is getting it has a variety of vision problems and the eink screen should be a great boost to her.

But really, it all boils down to what works best for you - and your budget. I could probably learn to enjoy reading on a kindle during the daylight outside by the pool if someone would buy me the kindle and install the pool  ;)

In all seriousness, the iPad "package" is what i needed - and that I can read books on it is an awesome bonus!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
ak_popsicle said:
Yep, just individual preference.

I like the page turn animations personally, but not enough to read on my iPad over my Kindle. I don't find it any more distracting than turning a page in a real book.

But I'm also one of the rare one's on here who still prefers the reading experience of a paperbook to an e-book and just read e-books for the convenience rather than the experience per se. Paperbooks are less portable and a hassle to deal with if you seldom re-read (thus they just gather dust and waste space, or you have to hassle with selling/donating them or using the library etc.).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Kindle DX (older version  :( ) and an iPad ( also older at this point )  and they both serve well for what they were designed for. Reading on the Kindle is far superior for extended periods of time. But if you just want a half-hour read in bed before falling off to sleep the iPad works well because of the back lighting, no need for a lamp to keep your significant other awake.

An iPad can do more; it’s a tablet with a browser and apps. The question is, is that important to you? Are you looking for more than reading books? For me, and I admit I got the iPad as a present, I don't have much use for it and don't turn it on all that often. I already have a desktop and a laptop, one more computing/internet device isn't really giving me anything new. Plus, the apps and internet access are less powerful than what you get with a standard laptop.

The GPS is the only innovation I care about, for others games might be high on the list. For extended reading the iPad, IMO, is a poor choice.

Voting as a lover of books, Kindle is the best way to go!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally own both iPad and Kindle now. I must say that I bought Kindle (the newest version) before iPad (sadly, older 1G version) and I was happy with it. When I bought iPad, I bought it for internet, some gaming and PDFs, since Kindle isn't really great with PDFs (maybe Kindle DX?). I'd like to talk about Kindle first since I bought it first.

What I like about Kindle? First of all, it's small, light device that I can bring anywhere I want. Just few days before I was going for a 1h 30 trip  by bus and I couldn't bring iPad because it would mean taking with myself also bag on my back. I can put Kindle into my pocket and be ready to go. I really love the screen wich is really beautiful. I'm heavy book reader and I must confess that reading on Kindle is for me more comfortable than even reading paper book. I don't know if you noticed, but Kindle with leather cover has also its own smell and I just love that :). I like also the battery life a lot! It's quick, light, easy to use and less pricy than iPad.

On the other hand, everything else than reading on Kindle sucks. Internet, MP3s, taking notes and etc just sucks. Kindle is only for reading. Nothing more and nothing less.

Ipad is completly different. For reading it is really bad. I mean, you can read from it but when I was reading for more than 1-2 hours I was starting to make me sick. I'm very sensitive for light and after few hour I got headache and my eyes were like waterfall... But, internet on iPad is far more supperior even than my laptop (it is quicker to turn on iPad than notebook), videos on iPad looks great and you can play a lot of games on iPad (not very good though). iPad is also a lot bigger than Kindle wich is sometimes bothersome and heavier too.

For me, iPad means multimedia. If I want to quickly check my facebook, some internet forums, or check out new youtube clips, I go for an iPad. On the other hand, if it is dark outside, I'm in the bed with mood for an epic fantasy novel, or something like that, I can't imagine anything else than my Kindle.

I envy those who can read from iPad for long time :(. It feels like some strange superpower to me... :/

·
Registered
128 Posts
The only advantage of having colour on Kindle is to see the book covers in their original glory, but let us remember that Kindle is for READING and that's in black and white for most people. iPad in my view is wonderful but it's not an e-reader, it's a computer and eye strain will result in the end. It may be OK for you younger ones but when you need glasses to read you'll remember this. No, I'm not lecturing, it's just a fact. iPad is great for short bursts of reading I dare say but I wouldn't want to read an entire novel on one any more than I read them on my iMac. I can't understand how people read novels on phones - but they do; I've had people tell me they've read mine on iPhones. I'd need glasses and a telescope! Anyhow, we all have our prefences. The main thing is that people read.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just FYI, studies have already proven than displays, meaning even LCD TV, or PC monitor (including iPad) doesn't damage human eyes. It is tiring for eyes but as soon as person goes to sleep, eyes regenerate :). That was old "lie" our parrents tried to feed us to keep us away from TV :).

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
endhalf said:
Just FYI, studies have already proven than displays, meaning even LCD TV, or PC monitor (including iPad) doesn't damage human eyes. It is tiring for eyes but as soon as person goes to sleep, eyes regenerate :). That was old "lie" our parrents tried to feed us to keep us away from TV :).
I don't think anyone is saying that it's damaging. . . .only that many find it uncomfortable to stare at a screen -- as one does when reading -- for an extended period. And that's o.k. Some people have no problem, some people find it irritating to their eyes. All the studies in the world won't change what I experience. :) And what you experience may be completely different. That's o.k too. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks everyone for all the great replies... I think i'll probably get one kindle and an ipad - that way I can still do some educational stuff with my seven year old on the iPad...

Hope you are all enjoying a lovely Sunday morning.. (or afternoon depending where you are at.

Claudia

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I don't think anyone is saying that it's damaging. . . .only that many find it uncomfortable to stare at a screen -- as one does when reading -- for an extended period. And that's o.k. Some people have no problem, some people find it irritating to their eyes. All the studies in the world won't change what I experience. :) And what you experience may be completely different. That's o.k too. :)
Absolutely. It's something that's not worth arguing over. People just need to try reading on different types of gadgets.

Everyone has different eyes! Some people get lots of strain on LCD, some don't.

And everyone has different reading habits. Someone who's reading for hours and hours a day will probably have more issues reading on an LCD screen than someone that just reads for 30-60 minutes at a time.

And another key when trying to read on an LCD is to make sure to adjust the brightness to an appropriate level, try different background colors etc. You'll get more strain if you're using the wrong brightness for the lighting conditions you're reading in (i.e. have it super bright in a dim room, or have it dim in a bright room etc.).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ann in Arlington: My post was reaction to Steve Emmett and quote: "It may be OK for you younger ones but when you need glasses to read you'll remember this. No, I'm not lecturing, it's just a fact." That is not fact, that is actually not true at all :). I don't want to argue, I myself wrote here before that I envy those who can read from iPad screen for a longer period of time... I get bad hedache nearly every time :(. By the way, I have both iPad and Kindle :) Well just look up few posts above and you'll find mine ;)

By the way, phatpuppyart, you have wonderfull skill in art covers... That is exactly the type of cover that draws my attention right away :).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I honestly still prefer reading on my iPad and now on my Xoom.I also prefer having multiple sources to get books rather than just being limited to Amazon, but that's just me.
That being said the Kindle will always hold a very special place in my heart as it was what got me reading again and that makes it priceless.

If you are someone who does a lot of reading outdoors definitely get the Kindle, as backlit screens just do not work well out doors.

Enjoy

·
Registered
334 Posts
The iPad is sweet, juicy, and a bit more exotic; the Kindle, crisp and good in pies.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts