Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few pictures on my blog that show the same book on all three Kindle devices (so, is the new one Ki, to go with the K and K2?). The screen is very clear on the iPhone, but graphics are extremely small. The blown up photos show that if the screen were bigger, it would be quite readable, but it is so physically small that I had a hard time reading the box on the sample page (which was the first graphic I blundered upon, not one I picked to make it look small).

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2009/03/kindle-iphone-pictures.html

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks for posting. That's a useful comparison.

(You need to get a skin on that cold, nekkid K2 asap!)

L

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for showing us that. I was actually curious what it would look like on the I-Phone.  :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
koland said:
I posted a few pictures on my blog that show the same book on all three Kindle devices (so, is the new one Ki, to go with the K and K2?). The screen is very clear on the iPhone, but graphics are extremely small. The blown up photos show that if the screen were bigger, it would be quite readable, but it is so physically small that I had a hard time reading the box on the sample page (which was the first graphic I blundered upon, not one I picked to make it look small).

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2009/03/kindle-iphone-pictures.html
Really useful. There's a lamp hitting the K2 in the 2nd picture which makes it less contrasty.

What surprised me is that the background to the iPhone is so very dark gray. Considering all the dark-gray threads about the K2 threads, more should see this. However, the crisply dark black they use for the fonts is an important element and somewhat missing on the K2.

With the K1 and K2 in some light, the K2 basic font tends to be more like fine-point pens (which some find 'crisper' or 'sharper' and others find 'dimmer') while the K1 is like a medium one. Some people prefer one over the other. But I hope the general font shade eventually will be darkened via whatever mechanism they can use, which is said to be possible through via a decision/change to the current software definitions of the font.

Nice blog, Karen!

·
Registered
121 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
Really useful. There's a lamp hitting the K2 in the 2nd picture which makes it less contrasty.

What surprised me is that the background to the iPhone is so very dark gray. Considering all the dark-gray threads about the K2 threads, more should see this. However, the crisply dark black they use for the fonts is an important element and somewhat missing on the K2.

With the K1 and K2 in some light, the K2 basic font tends to be more like fine-point pens (which some find 'crisper' or 'sharper' and others find 'dimmer') while the K1 is like a medium one. Some people prefer one over the other. But I hope the general font shade eventually will be darkened via whatever mechanism they can use, which is said to be possible through via a decision/change to the current software definitions of the font.

Nice blog, Karen!
The background on the iPhone Kindle app is actually bright white. He either has the brightness turned all the way down or the grayness is the result of bad lighting in the photo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
jeremy81 said:
The background on the iPhone Kindle app is actually bright white. He either has the brightness turned all the way down or the grayness is the result of bad lighting in the photo.
Since the Kindle screens are very bright, in the same picture, it's probably a result of the iPhone being laid down flat, at an angle, and that makes it look dark when it's not an e-ink type screen that reflects light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My mom sent me a link about the story detailing this and at first I was like, curses! Then I sat and thought about it for a second and realized, there is no way on God's green earth that I would want to read on my iPhone. It is great for most of its app's, surfing the net and for watching movies on plane trips, but the size and feel of the Kindle2 is perfect for reading. At the very least I can sync the two and just in case my Kindle loses power I can read on my iPhone in a pinch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts