Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -- I'm a non-Kindler who has found this wonderful Kindle community and now I'm even more obsessed with the Kindle than ever before. 

As a self-sacrificing mother who bypassed the Kindle for my wish list last Christmas, bypassed both promotions (credit card and Oprah), and then saw the light of the Kindle glow in time for this Christmas.  I started dropping hints to my husband, who knows I'm an obsessive reader and knows the Kindle is my idea of the ideal gift in the world.  He's also very generous at Christmas, having surprised me with a puppy and a horse in the past without my knowing (a huge feat).

But (sob)....last week I was talking to him about the Kindle (dropping Kindlehints) and, judging by his reaction, I'm positive there is no way I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas....he said it wasn't a "good time economically," we needed to save our money, and the newer version would be better.  Despite his ability to surprise me to the point of nearly fainting in the past, I doubt seriously he purchased one before the holiday sellout.  I'm sure he won't purchase a refurbished model, and he's big on purchasing "version 2" of everything.  I'm also home most of the day, and his office is also in our home, so I would see any Amazon deliveries.  He may be generous and love to surprise me, but I just know he's intent on waiting for the Kindle 2.0.  It could be one of his clever "surprise" tricks, but it sure doesn't seem like it this time.

Do you mind if I linger here pre-Kindle and drool?  Can you offer any how-not-to-obsess advice?  I am not at all spoiled, just beating myself up for not having purchased it for myself in the past.  Now I'm in Kindle limbo-land during a time of year when I should be thinking of others much more in need than myself.

Help me count my plethora of blessings, please, in the true spirit of the season  :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello libro and welcome! Of course you are welcome here. You aren't the only kindleless person here. There are several that are hoping to find kindles under their trees this Christmas and those that have 11-13 weeks to wait for a ship date! I do hope you get the surprise of your life. In the meantime, feel free to hang out with us here. Just think, how well versed you will be in all things Kindle when you do get one! Once again... welcome!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Libro,

Welcome to Kindleboards!  You're in good company here; we have many pre-Kindlers who are here feeding their Kindle desires while they wait to get one.  You're welcome to dive in!  We even have book clubs in January open to all, Kindle or not!

Thanks for joining us!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Libro! What a story...of course you can hang out with us. We're happy to have you here.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Libro, we would love to have you hang out with us! I lurked on Amazon (more fun here  ;D) before purchasing Ruby. Oh yeah, many of us name our Kindles.  :) We dress them too in all kinds of pretty accessories. I can't think of any better place to be while you are in Kindle limbo-land.

Linda

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!  My husband was asking me about Kindle again this morning, so I'm KindleWishing again.  ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi libro,

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. If he is asking, maybe he is building you up for the surprise. Have you told him that from reports here the refurbs are as good as new ones?

If you are looking for advice on how not to obsess about Kindle this is probably not the place to be. LOL But you can live vicariously through us and that is not so bad.

I hope you like KindleBoards as much as I do.

G

·
Do you mind if I linger here pre-Kindle and drool? Can you offer any how-not-to-obsess advice? I am not at all spoiled, just beating myself up for not having purchased it for myself in the past. Now I'm in Kindle limbo-land during a time of year when I should be thinking of others much more in need than myself.
I don't think it is possible. There is no such thing as "how-not-to-obsess" advice.

Welcome to the boards though, we love all readers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find myself simultaneously obsessing while feeling like a jerk for being so greedy during the holidays.  Typical of my personality profile ;)

I checked out the Amazon site this morning and it looks as though the refurbs are out.  I can certainly wait. 

If you knew the extent to which my husband has surprised me in the past (primarily with one puppy and a horse), you would love those stories.  Maybe I'll tell them on the non-Kindle board.  Amazing stories.  I'm impossible to surprise, but he pulled it off in a major way both times. 

G

·
If you are really interested in a refurb, keep checking back. There has all ready been some "now you see 'em, now you don't" and vice versa.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Welcome...  Maybe hubby was the bidder on Ebay for $966. with 53 bids.  Crazy, isn't it?  You can hang with us, though I only have the time to pop in and out quickly as of late (my mom isn't well).  Welcome...hope you get your Christmas wish.  Mine is a new puppy to love...(doubtful).  I am suffering from empty nest syndrome...both kids are in college and lost my pet this summer...hubby works practically round the clock and I'm always alone (when I'm not at Dr.'s appts w/Mom).  THANK God for Kindle...read at all the appointments and at night. 

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
sjc, we're thinking of you and your mom, glad you have your Kindle to keep you company at all the appointments!

libro, if there were a way to keep from obsessing about the Kindle, even after you get it, none of us would be here!  You're in good company!

Betsy

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone!

SJC--I hope your Mom gets well very soon and you find that Christmas puppy under your tree.  It sounds like a puppy is just what the doctor ordered.  Empty nest syndrome will be coming for me sooner rather than later, so I can sympathize.  I'll be thinking of you!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sjc said:
Welcome... Maybe hubby was the bidder on Ebay for $966. with 53 bids. Crazy, isn't it? You can hang with us, though I only have the time to pop in and out quickly as of late (my mom isn't well). Welcome...hope you get your Christmas wish. Mine is a new puppy to love...(doubtful). I am suffering from empty nest syndrome...both kids are in college and lost my pet this summer...hubby works practically round the clock and I'm always alone (when I'm not at Dr.'s appts w/Mom). THANK God for Kindle...read at all the appointments and at night.
Keeping you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers SJC. Glad you have your Kindle to help pass the time.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thanks all for your kind wishes.  Mom had her first radiation treatment today...will be going every weekday for 6+ weeks.  She enjoyed her four week break post Chemo.  Kindle will be with me every step of the way.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
sjc said:
Thanks all for your kind wishes. Mom had her first radiation treatment today...will be going every weekday for 6+ weeks. She enjoyed her four week break post Chemo. Kindle will be with me every step of the way.
I will be praying for her and you!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thanks Angela:  P.S.  I got a taste of your medicine this week; my husband is away for work until the 11th.  I miss him but I must admit, I do like having the remote to myself and the quiet from the lack of snoring.  This is the longest stretch we've ever been apart since we were 16 years old.  I asked him if he misses me; he said he couldn't turn his head and look back when he knew I was pulling away from the curb at the airport. 

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi sjc -- I'll be praying for you and your Mom, too. 

I can relate to what you said about your husband leaving town.  The solitude is nice, but it's always great to have them return home.  I thought it was very romantic when you said your husband couldn't look back at you when he walked into the airport terminal. 

1 - 20 of 24 Posts