Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I bought my kindle approximately 1 and a half months ago. Since then, I had to recharge it only once and I'm so proud of my Kindle's battery life. But I experienced several problems. After I upload on it 900~ books, it began to work more slowly and when I was in the middle of highlighting a text, it frozen. I panicked, of course, and after some research I softly reset it by holding the power button 5 seconds. After that, it frozen again and I repeated the cure. I didn't worry to much as I started again to read, but, one day, after I fully charged it (first time), I let it fall asleep and after several hours, I returned and opened it. The battery was like only a quarter of it's fullest. I searched a nonsense word and got the message that 123 books are not indexed. I deleted all of them, charged it again and after 3 days it's almost full ( not completely full as a little bit drained).

Should I worry? It should drain, even if a little, in only 3 days? Sorry If I lack some sense but I am a bit dizzy

Thank you.

·
5,974 Posts
Welcome to Kindleboards, AlexGrama!

When you load a book onto the Kindle it has to be 'indexed' so that it can be searched etc. The Kindle does this automatically in the background and it might take a couple of minutes for each book. If you've uploaded 900 books, particularly if you did them all more or less at the same time, then the Kindle is going to tie itself in knots trying to get them all indexed! It will slow down, freeze and use up the battery charge really quickly. In future, try not to load them in batches of more than 50 at the most.

For now, if you're still having problems it probably means some of the books can't be indexed. To check this, from the Home Screen do a search for a nonsense word like zxyxvz or something similar. It should tell you that there are no results, but it will also tell you if there are any books which couldn't be searched because they're not yet indexed. If this is the case, make a note of how many there are, plug your kindle in to charge, preferably on the mains, not via USB, and then come back in a couple of hours. If there's no progress in the books being indexed, then you need to make a note of any that are greyed out. Go back to the Home Screen, find those books and delete them from the Kindle and then upload them again - not all at once! Once all your books are indexed, you should find that the problems with the Kindle slowing down and freezing go away.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, I deleted all of them and I didn't have the chance to put it back. Thank for the advice. From now on, I will put maximum 50 books at a time. Thank God it doesn't have any problem because I would have killed myself. I love this little guy. One more question. Should I worry if the power drained a little bit in 3 days because it should last like a month? Thank you again.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
AlexGrama said:
One more question. Should I worry if the power drained a little bit in 3 days because it should last like a month? Thank you again.
The Kindle will use a lot of battery power when indexing, so that is normal. I usually keep it plugged into my computer's USB port when I know that there are a lot of books to be indexed, so the battery won't drain. The battery will also drain more quickly if you leave 3G on (if you have that model).

As for the freezing during highlighting, that has been reported quite often as a problem. In my experience, the Kindle usually "unfreezes" itself in a minute or two (it feels like forever!), without the need to reset the device. It is an annoying problem, for sure! It happens to me while highlighting and bookmarking also. I do have a lot of books on my Kindle, which may contribute to the problem. I've read that a large "My Clippings" file (created when you make highlights) can cause the freezes, although I don't think that's the issue in my case. It could also have to do with the Kindle being busy indexing.

Welcome to Kindle Boards!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I deleted those 900 books, I only left one and I don't have the highlighting problem anymore. But something bothers me. That little drain of power which happened when the kindle had only on book in it. It drained a little during indexing that book? Shall this be the problem?

P.S. I have the WiFi only version and almost of the time it's turned off.
P.S.S Now, after two days I had noticed the drain, the battery it's the same, like 98 percent full. Maybe the indexing of that book drained the 2 percent.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
It all depends on what you are doing with your kindle. How many times do you hit the next page, how long do you read each day. Do you use any games. Is your wifi/3G on.

I only read and put my wifi on once a day a few minutes and my Kindle is down to 50% in 3-4 days. I do read a lot.

The one month battery is only if you read 1 hour a day and do nothing else. I would think its perfectly normal to use some batter in 3 days. Heck, I have to charge mine every 4-5 days.

Don't worry so much about the battery, just enjoy your Kindle.  ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read almost every day but not so much. I don't use games and I turn WiFi on once every two weeks to post some highlights on facebook.  I bought it on 17th of June and after I charge it in that night to its fullest, it drained completely on 18th of July. In this month I read two books, by reading every day.

So, you say I shouldn't be worried. I hope you are right. A week ago I thought exchanging it, or make the store refund my money. I was really panicked, I care about my things.

Thank again very much for all your kindness. I am enjoying my kindle. It's an extraordinary toy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use it almost 3 hours a day for either actual reading a book or browsing a manual for something I need to reference.  Either way it stands, no wifi and games, for about 2-3 days before I needs a good charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts