Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember way back on the Forum (and still to this day) all the posts about: Is Kindle worth it??

Just the 10 free books that are available currently (not including Secret Vampire because it isn't the entire book): Those ten titles alone are valued at $155.74 kindlebook pricing

I have downloaded way more freebies than that...

Who knows the total $$ I've saved??!! Let's just say that many months ago I said my Kindle has well paid for itself...NOW I can add:
TEN TIMES OVER !!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't even gotten my kindle yet and I've already downloaded enough free books to pay for it.  Hopefully it ships out today.  I'm still on Item shipping soon.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
sjc said:
Remember way back on the Forum (and still to this day) all the posts about: Is Kindle worth it??

Just the 10 free books that are available currently (not including Secret Vampire because it isn't the entire book): Those ten titles alone are valued at $153.99 kindlebook pricing

I have downloaded way more freebies than that...

Who knows the total $$ I've saved??!! Let's just say that many months ago I said my Kindle has well paid for itself...NOW I can add:
TEN TIMES OVER !!!
This is the argument women have been using for ages:
Wife: Look, honey, I saved $50 buying this purse on sale! It was only $40!
Husband: You would have saved $40 by not buying the purse!

(Yes, this is an actual conversation I regularly have with my husband.)

I agree completely that the Kindle is cost effective for me because I buy a lot of books. And I downloaded all the free samples, so I also saved $153, and I've only had my Kindle a month and a half. However, I probably wouldn't have purchased all of those books had they not been free... and I probably wouldn't have spent $153 on paperback books during the last month and a half. That's probably more like a four to six month total for me. Or one really good trip to B&N at Christmas, LOL! But there's no doubt to me that Kindle will pay for itself within a year or so.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thejackylking:  You are going to LOVE it and then some!!  Mine (PAQ...we all name our Kindles) has never left my side not even for a minute since the day I got it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
This is the argument women have been using for ages:
Wife: Look, honey, I saved $50 buying this purse on sale! It was only $40!
Husband: You would have saved $40 by not buying the purse!

(Yes, this is an actual conversation I regularly have with my husband.)
I have that same conversation with my mom every time I talk to her.

Mom: I went and bought some clothes, but I saved a ton because they were on clearance!
Me: Would have saved more if you didn't buy'em.

But I do the same thing anyway :(

As for cost effectiveness of the Kindle...I don't look at it that way. I measure things by enjoyment and how often I use them. And the Kindle was one of the best purchases I've made, if you measure it that way.

G

·
(PAQ...we all name our Kindles)
No. No we don't.

I do like to read of course and I have saved a lot of money on books by getting as many freebooks that I can. I almost always buy hard cover books so my Kindle books are cheaper than those. Most of the time the prices are equal to or lower than the paperback editions.

Another saver is on shipping cost. Unless I used the very slow super saver shipping, I had to pay shipping on ever book I've ever bought at Amazon. Just that alone adds up to hundreds of dollars.

I don't think anyone can put a price on the wireless downloading of your favorite books. No waiting, no shipping delays, pure instant gratification.

Instant gratification is even available to people with out WN service with the optional computer/ISB route. Still priceless.

Knowing that I'll never be low on books and I can have a new one anytime an anywhere I am (almost) is also priceless.

At this time, I have about 50 books, short stories and samples on my Kindle. I have spent a whopping $18.00. I don't think that's too bad at all.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vampyre:  I couldn't have said it better.  I wouldn't take the Sony for $100.  Whispernet is GREAT!!!  I love everything about my Kindle.  If there were a fire...I run back in for my Kindle...lol.

G

·
I wouldn't have to.  It's almost always with in arms reach of me.  It goes with me everywhere I go.(except maybe shopping for food)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Vampyre said:
Most of the time the prices are equal to or lower than the paperback editions.
This is actually what convinced DH to let me get one. I do like to check our local library, even volunteering there now, but my tastes and theirs just don't match that often.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My Kindle has paid for itself and then some. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about it. I bought mine for reading only so I am not unhappy about the folders, although I wish they were available for all of you that need them. This is the only gadget I have that provides me with enjoyment everyday. I have always been an avid reader, it is the one thing I can do that takes me away and I am totally unaware of anything else going on. No problems, no cares, no worries, only the joy of reading.

Linda

G

·
I agree.  The Kindle is nearly perfect for what it was designed for and all of the extra stuff is just icing on the Kake.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Is the Kindle worth it?

Does the sun rise in the east and set in the west?
Does spring come after the winter cold ends?
Is the number 5 greater than the number 4?

Of course the Kindle is worth it, and many times more!!!

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
:admission: Sorry, I don't quite get naming my kindle. I love it, but I also love my laptop, and my couch....and they don't have names either. LOL (I am, however, entertained by some of your witty names, snicker)

And to take this back on topic--- Kindle is worth every penny. I'm just a couple weeks in and could not be happier. It has encouraged me to read MORE, and that's priceless. Not enough reading in our world these days...

C

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Why would I bother to call it anything at all? It isn't going to come.

I don't make a habit of talking to inanimate objects.
Just to point out--naming something doesn't mean it has to come when called.

Here, Coquet Queen! Here, Chrysler Building! Here, Wrigley Field! Here, Glamorous Glennis!

Darn, none of them came when I called. That silly Chuck Yeager!
::)

Betsy

(unfortunately, Yeager's autobiography isn't on the Kindle yet--a really good read!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts