Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was another thread about knitting books for the kindle, and it was fun chatting about general knitting stuff so I thought I'd start another thread here.

I finished felting my first Kindle Kozy, it was too big to fit my Kindle in vertically, which is what I wanted, but pretty right on for horizontally. I had to trim it down a bit, too. I'll try to post pictures soon. It's OK. I'm already working on another one to try and perfect the pattern!

I also taught myself to Magic Loop knit this weekend. It is an easy alternative to all those double pointed needles, I think I like it. I'm making Elefante (http://susanbanderson.blogspot.com/2007/04/page-18-elefante.html) using a self striping yarn so I thought it would be fun to try with the feet. Now I'm onto the head with Magic Loop and it's working out well. The ears are crochet, so it looks like I'll be teaching myself to crochet this week. I'm considering getting "The Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" for my Kindle just to see what it's like. I wonder if they take returns if it isn't good? I downloaded a sample but it only goes through the introduction and doesn't show andyy diagrams or photos, which could make or break it, you know?

Anyhow, hope this spurs some more fiber chat!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Panjo said:
There was another thread about knitting books for the kindle, and it was fun chatting about general knitting stuff so I thought I'd start another thread here.

I finished felting my first Kindle Kozy, it was too big to fit my Kindle in vertically, which is what I wanted, but pretty right on for horizontally. I had to trim it down a bit, too. I'll try to post pictures soon. It's OK. I'm already working on another one to try and perfect the pattern!

I also taught myself to Magic Loop knit this weekend. It is an easy alternative to all those double pointed needles, I think I like it. I'm making Elefante (http://susanbanderson.blogspot.com/2007/04/page-18-elefante.html) using a self striping yarn so I thought it would be fun to try with the feet. Now I'm onto the head with Magic Loop and it's working out well. The ears are crochet, so it looks like I'll be teaching myself to crochet this week. I'm considering getting "The Idiots Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" for my Kindle just to see what it's like. I wonder if they take returns if it isn't good? I downloaded a sample but it only goes through the introduction and doesn't show andyy diagrams or photos, which could make or break it, you know?

Anyhow, hope this spurs some more fiber chat!
You've got 7 days to return any Kindle book. Just contact customer service and they'll refund it.

I love to crochet. I've been thinking about designing something for my Kindle. I keep seeing Kindle cases on ebay and Etsy and telling myself I can do better than that!..But then I start reading again.

I have 2 afghans I'm currently working on and really need to finish. They're for my 2 youngest kids. My son asked for Darth Vader colors, so it's black, grey, and red. My daughter's is small hearts on a black background. It's a scrap afghan and each hexagon is about 1.5 inches wide..I think we're up to about 16 different colors. I have tons of those darn things floating around.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I crocheted two cases for my Kindle in the cover.  I used a pattern on the Lion Brand Yarn site and adjusted it to fit.  One vertical and one horizontal.  I used Lion suede yarn.  I think they came out pretty nice.  I will try to post pictures later.  (By the way,  the pattern on the Lion site looks almost identical to the case for sale on ebay.) I admit, I am frugal, (CHEAP), and the cases I made took only one skein of yarn each.  I got the yarn on sale at Joann's for $3.50. My time was only about 2 hours each and that included figuring out the dimensions. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
panjo:  How Cuuuuuute!!
luvmy4brats:
I can't tell you how many crochet projects I've started and left hanging....I do nothing else since Kindle made its way into my life.  I used to crochet everything from dog sweaters to afghans and doilies...now...nothing!!  Kindle has taken over...(Not to mention these boards).

·
Registered
157 Posts
OMG Elepante is sooooo cute! I am going to knit that next for my nephew! Thanks so much for the linkie :D I am working on another knitted (well crocheted) toy right now for a friend of mine who thought this pattern was cute... both of us are fans of Lovecraft, she is going to go nuts when I finish it for her.

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/imbolc08/eldergod.htm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, I've been knitting more and reading more because now I can do them at the same time! I love the auto page turn. I always have a simple project on the needles when I knit and read.

Are you all on Ravelry? If not, you should be! The search feature is amazing, you can find all kinds of cool patterns. I just searched elephant crochet patterns and found this cutie.

http://littlegreen.typepad.com/romansock/instant-crochetification.html

·
Registered
368 Posts
These are the crocheted cases I made for my Kindle. I am notoriously clumsy so I added straps to pull them out of my purse or tote bag so there will be less chance of it slipping out of my hand. I still haven't got this picture posting down, I don't know why they are stacking instead of going side by side.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Those are totally cool, Mollyb!  Did you adjust a pattern or just work it out yourself?  I've been thinking about doing that myself, I haven't found any patterns online so far that I like.  Am I correct in remembering that you only used one skein of yarn for each of these?  I'm getting ready for a 5 hour car trip, I like to crochet while my SO drives, maybe I need to get some of that yarn and try it out!

Katiekat

·
Registered
368 Posts
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70382AD.html?noImages=0

I used the pattern at the above link. They have a lot of others too. I just put crochet and purses into their search box. I had to adjust it for the yarn and hook I was using. Super easy and does the job quite nicely. I used a J hook and Lion Brand Suede yarn. It is soft and the Kindle slips in and out easily. Yes, just one skein of suede yarn. The suede is a small skein, if you used something in a larger skein it might do two cases. But I like the suede, it is easy to work with, soft, thick and washable
I like to crochet on long car rides too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Panjo,  Those patterns you posted are adorable.  The brushing of the yarn reminds me of going to high school in the late  60's. A boy would give a girl his high school ring and she would wrap it in angora yarn so it would fit her finger and then brush it with a toothbrush to make it furry.  You would change the yarn to match your outfit that day.  Does anyone else remember that? 

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those are great! I still haven't put the button on mine. I really like the way oit felted up. When my new skin arrives I'm going to make a new cozy with matching yarn colors.

So do any of you have a nice, simple knitting pattern that you like? I like to have something basic (like stockinette in the round) to knit while I'm reading my Kindle. Right now I'm making the Halfdome Hat: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATThalfdome.html for my husband. It is booooooring... but will look good when it's done and it's just knit knit knit knit for the first 5 inches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
Panjo, Those patterns you posted are adorable. The brushing of the yarn reminds me of going to high school in the late 60's. A boy would give a girl his high school ring and she would wrap it in angora yarn so it would fit her finger and then brush it with a toothbrush to make it furry. You would change the yarn to match your outfit that day. Does anyone else remember that?
I was a nerd in HS so never went steady with anyone. But the "hot" girls that did went to even more lengths with their boyfriend's rings. I think some of them went steady just to have a ring to mess with..LOL...anyway the fancier ones would wrap adhesive tape around and then put multiple coats of nail polish to make it smooth...then one went even farther and took plastic flowers from a hair barrett and would glue that on. I don't know if that hurt her palm or not, but it sure looked snazzy. This was early 60's...think the yarn wrap must have come after I was out of HS....oh, oh, just outed myself...yes, going on Medicare next month!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I crocheted a "bag" for my Kindle from my own design.  It is pretty basic, but I think it turned out pretty nice.  Will post pics later after I find my camera!!  I saw someone selling a crocheted "pouch" on e-bay and thought, I can do my own.  Instead of doing a drawstring, I made a flap closing with a loop and button.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Still trying to get mine done.  JoAnn's was out of everything but the jiffy yarns, so I got a nice fat yarn so that it would go faster.  Needless to say, I've started about 7 times now trying to get it just so.  I ended up driving back from Williamsburg, so this may have to wait for our next road trip!  Good news is that I found a cheap purse at Walmart that has a separate zipper pocket for my Kindle, so I don't have to have this done immediately.  ;D

Katiekat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Panjo said:
See, I've been knitting more and reading more because now I can do them at the same time! I love the auto page turn. I always have a simple project on the needles when I knit and read.

Are you all on Ravelry? If not, you should be! The search feature is amazing, you can find all kinds of cool patterns. I just searched elephant crochet patterns and found this cutie.

http://littlegreen.typepad.com/romansock/instant-crochetification.html
Another Raveler here - and I love to read and knit. I learned to knit from a book (back when they were still on papyrus), so I got used to doing both, but the Kindle makes it sooooooooooo much easier! I use the folding wire bookstand Amazon sells, and it's great.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!  I love to crochet.  I think you did a marvelous job and it saddens me that knitting and crocheting are an artform in jeopardy.  I so wish that today's youth would take an active interest.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts