Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoted from : http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/02/04/amazon-kindle-sells-half-as-well-as-microsoft-zune/

It's much to long of an article to post the whole thing here, but the final excerpt is below.

--------
It's not that the Kindle isn't any good, it's just not good enough to warrant being carried around by a large enough audience to matter. Add up all of the tech-savvy cat ladies who sit in on Oprah's book club, and you have a narrow niche market, not another iPod.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Of course the audience isn't as large as the iPod or Zune.  How many teenagers would choose reading a book instead of listening to their music?  Just because it's not the top selling electronic device on the market certainly doesn't mean it's a device that doesn't matter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree... its not the next ipod, it is a niche product right now.  Its for people who enjoy reading, alot.  There is certainly a large market out there for "readers", but not as large as the ipod.  I don't think Amazon is counting on an ipod market with the current k1/k2... once they go international, and expand into college text books, then those markets bring in much larger numbers.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When I lived in NYC, I saw more people reading on the subway, then listening to ipods and if they were listening to one, they were usually also reading. I do not think reading is a niche market... I have never been to a Barnes & Noble that was empty. It is certainly not for everyone but  I think the market consist of a lot bigger demographic than a few old ladies with cats!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
ChrisIsBored said:
Add up all of the tech-savvy cat ladies who sit in on Oprah's book club, and you have a narrow niche market, not another iPod.
Some of them have dogs or no pets so the market may be bigger then you think. I don't think BJ, Brassman, EV, and Scott would agree with the ladies tag either. :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
sorry to break it to you but I have an Iphone and several Ipods and when I get a chance to read I do.., shocking I know but there are plenty of book stores that tell me that thinking is backwards.. OH and one more thing I dont worship at the alter of Oprah.. I can do many things without her, many of us had Kindles long before she had a clue

·
Registered
135 Posts
In addition to the cat ladies, some of the women may have dogs, and some of the people may even be male.  The Kindle market seems to be expanding by each post as more and more fans are uncovered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Itunes made the Ipod, not the device itself.  I refuse to buy one as our Sansa players do everything the Ipod does and does not require sync or proprietary software to work.  Its called drop and drag and boom, music.  Oh, and they are cheaper. 

The Kindle will take off like crazy once Amazon gets the price down to an acceptable level.  This is the only thing holding them back.  Your average teenager cannot afford $400 for one and it is a tough sell to mom and dad as well.  My 13 daughter is an avid reader and we have been eyeing the used Kindle 1's for sale.  She would love one.  Currently we have two Kindle 1's and she has used mine on occasion.

Your subject line says it all "Ipod Fanboy".  You like Apple products, no problem there as they do produce fine products.  Mrs. Tobad is surfing on an Ibook right now.  But keep in mind that Steve Jobs is not the only person on the planet with good ideas.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mr. Bored, I see you are fairly  new to our little community.  I'm just curious why you posted this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I actually wasted the time reading the whole article and comments.

Over all, it was as I expected - a very poorly reasoned and badly structured argument. For one, as even a few of the comments pointed out Kindle sold more in its first year than iPod. But the most egregious point is the staggering self-involvement that is unbecoming anyone who aspires to be an essayist. The problems in the author's limited little gadgeteer world view actually represent his own blindness to the real strength of the Kindle.

Traditionally, technological sales depend upon the a relatively tiny community of techie, gadget loving early adopters (I know having been one of those folks for many years) in their early years until they expand out into the broader community/market. Being probably substantially older than the author and very much a techie sort, I've witnessed this repeated over past decades. Companies have been catering to these folks for a while now, early on their product's releases, in hopes of getting that start and word of mouth to carry them on to reach their real goal of the larger non-techie market.

What is unique about the Kindle is that many of the early adopter aren't of that mold. They are the mainstream market that most new gadget don't see for several years after being mostly limited to the techie and gadget fans. I have seen this in the multiple on-line discussions and with many of the people in the real world who I'm met and talked to who have them. This is unlike the earlier history of lot of tech devices. Kindle is appearing to be the first gadget in a long while to have a substantial pool of early adopters who aren't the stereotypical geeks who are often the sole base of early adopters.

Instead it is also drawing strongly on older folks, families, women, etc. (everything the stereotypical gadget geek is not.) I suspect this is the problem some of these folks have subconsciously. It's limiting their own power and influence in tech. It's also not designed to their own narrow views of technology and is succeeding despite that - leaving some of them whining and pouting like petulant children when they aren't the center of attention.

My own .02

----------------
Listening to: Monks Of The Abbey Of Notre Dame - Sanctam Et Immaculata
via FoxyTunes

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
If I may. . . . I don't think Chris implied this was his opinion. . . .he just posted a link to an article by someone else who had an opinion.  One which, clearly, many disagree with.  And that's o.k. . . . .but let's be careful that we're not attacking Chris for the opinion expressed by someone else entirely -- all he's done is bring it to our attention. 

Ann

I

·
0 Posts
Not being a catwoman or a watcher of Oprah, I find the ending of the article more or less pointless.  Based on that, I didn't waste my valuable on line time reading the whole thing.

I do have 2 cats, but I also have 2 dogs and love almost all animals. 

From my observations, it seems the Kindle is going through the samething every new innovation goes through in it's early years.  It the "that's stupid, who'd ever buy it" phase.

We heard this when cars were invented.  "Get a horse stupid."  Were are the horses now?

Cable TV, "Who will pay for what you can get for free?"  Looks like about 90% of the country will.

Will books go the way of horses and free TV?  I don't know.  I don't see Kindles and other ereaders replacing books.  I just see them as a way of augmenting the reading experience.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Gables Girl said:
Some of them have dogs or no pets so the market may be bigger then you think. I don't think BJ, Brassman, EV, and Scott would agree with the ladies tag either. :)
Sorry, I wouldn't read anything by anyone who would refer to themselves as a "fanboy". (Unless I was paid a lot of $$$). I generally find virgins to be uninteresting and easily annoyed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts