Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father's day is coming, and this year it also happens to be the first day of summer. For this contest, we want to hear your stories or memories that blend the two concepts of fathers and summer.

So tell us about a family summer vacation memory, or perhaps that awful barbecue incident. Or the embarrassing clothes your Dad wears to the beach. Use your imagination - one little memory is your ticket to enter this drawing.

And... here's a twist. We want your Father's Day gift ideas! So in your post, you may list up to three ideas for Father's Day gift ideas that are available from Amazon. Make sure one of them is under $50. (You get kudos if you use our Link Maker to make image links in your post.)

On Father's Day (Sunday June 21), we will draw three entries at random. Each entrant will receive their choice among their under-$50 Amazon gift ideas.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
My Dad is the strongest, hardest working man I know. When we were kids he worked a full time job Mon.-Fri. in a munitions plant and then, ran his own bakery on Saturdays. He had to go to bed at 8 PM on Friday nights to get up at 3 AM to mix the dough and get the bread started. He then spent 16 hrs. in front of a scorching hot oven. His bakery was not automated, but an old fashioned neighborhood bakery. He built the cinderblock and brick oven by himself by hand. That oven turned out some of the most delicious breads, rolls, and pastries I've ever tasted in my life.

On Sundays in the summer, though, he really made it his day of rest. That day, we would go to Mass together and then my Mom would pack a great day-long picnic and Dad would drive us out to a local lake and spend the day playing and throwing the four of us kids around in the water for hours, then going up to the picnic area to grill us our meals. We would stay there all day and have lunch and dinner there. This was my Dad's idea of relaxing and we loved him for it. One of my fondest memories that my sisters and brother and I still laugh about now is when, on the way home on Sun. nights, he would tease us saying that he was not going to stop at the soft ice cream stand to get us our much-awaited treat because he wasn't sure we behaved well enough that day. He would really get us going with our protests and defenses of our actions that day and then, at the last moment, he would turn in to get us our ice cream. He did this every week and we fell for it every time!

He is now 85 yrs. old. His joints are arthritic and he is bent over from all the years of hard work he put in. He has little feeling in his arms and hands due to nerve damage. It is difficult for him to hold anything, let alone a heavy book. I think a Kindle might be just the thing for him. I'd like to give him one for Father's Day. I'm going to see him this weekend and will let him try mine to see if he can use it. I'll either get him a new K2 or give him my K1, whichever is easiest for him.

So, my under $50 gift ideas would be accessories for one or other of the Kindles:

M-edge GO! Jacket for Kindle 2 (Genuine Leather)

M-edge Executive Leather Cover for Kindle 1

Mighty Bright Duet2 L.E.D. Light

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My Father is gone, but he was an umpire for the softball leagues wherever we lived, on military bases, in towns, etc.,  I always got to go with him and would sit on the hood of the car watching and rooting.  When I got old enough to drive I was allowed to drive him, keep the car for a couple of hours (naturally I didn't do anything naughty  :-X ) and go back and pick him up.

When I was in college he went back to school to a seminary and got his degree and became an Episcopal priest at the age of 54 but still enjoyed his umpiring.  At that age he became an avid golfer, both playing and watching on tv.  He instilled in me the love of sports, particularly the importance of being a spectator as I was never athletic and that athletes need someone to root them on.

After he retired, finally, he had the time to read and loved Westerns, particularly Louis L'amour.

I miss him every day but am thankful I had a wonderful loving and caring father when I did.

Of course I'd get him a kindle, and oodles of books and a kindle cover.  After trying  I am afraid I cannot get the links, but I do know I can get them all on Amazon.  Maybe will come back and try again.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My dad passed away - gosh, 7 years ago now - at the age of 84. He loved to read, and I read a lot of the books he did (some probably weren't age appropriate when I read them but I think both my parents figured as long as I was reading it didn't much matter what I was reading).

He spent a lot of time on the road during the week because of his job. But I never felt like he was an "absent" father. He was always a very real presence in our lives even when he wasn't physically present. Among the "lessons" I remember learning from him: There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, but there is something wrong with being unwilling to learn. And never assume anything. (I still hear him saying that - usually when I've made a bad assumption!)

I'm not sure whether he'd have liked the Kindle for himself - although he'd have liked that it would've made holding his books easier after he had a small stroke and his right hand didn't work quite as well as it had. And he loved learning, so would've enjoyed learning how to use it. He never quite "got" computers - I think towards the end of his life he began to understand how useful they could be and tried to understand a little more about them, but boy did that lead to some frustrating conversations for my husband as he tried to explain things to him! :)

The most obvious Amazon gift would be a gift card:

- that way he can get whatever he wants. Can't find an actual picture link for an Amazon card but my dad would've liked Target too. ;)

All hardworking dads could use a massage, but they might not be comfortable going to get one. Next best thing (besides an uber-expensive massage chair) may be:

For bigger budgets, and for dads who love music as much as mine did, how about an:

or a:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Harvey said:
Father's day is coming, and this year it also happens to be the first day of summer. For this contest, we want to hear your stories or memories that blend the two concepts of fathers and summer.

So tell us about a family summer vacation memory, or perhaps that awful barbecue incident. Or the embarrassing clothes your Dad wears to the beach. Use your imagination - one little memory is your ticket to enter this drawing.

And... here's a twist. We want your Father's Day gift ideas! So in your post, you may list up to three ideas for Father's Day gift ideas that are available from Amazon. Make sure one of them is under $50. (You get kudos if you use our Link Maker to make image links in your post.)

On Father's Day (Sunday June 21), we will draw three entries at random. Each entrant will receive their choice among their under-$50 Amazon gift ideas.
Thanks Harvey for the great contest. Now I have to come up with some crazy story to win the contest, oooh, so many to choose from ;) :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dad was my most severe critic and my most avid fan.  He was also my hero.  He was a farmer and that's what he loved.  But circumstances required we leave the farm and move to the city where he worked hard at a job I don't think he particullarily liked, to put a roof over our heads and food on the table.  He wasn't much of a reader so the Kindle would probably not fit.  What he really loved was building things, working with his hands.  He taught me that anything worth doing was worth doing well.

My most embarassing memory of my father was the day we went to the lake and we'd finally talked him into wearing this nice pair of plaid shorts we'd bought him (he hated shorts and never wore them).  When he showed up, I was pleased to see he had them on until I looked at his feet.  He'd worn them with his cowboy boots!  He did it on purpose just because we'd "made" him wear the shorts.  It was too funny!

If he were still with us, I think he would like something from Amazon for the garden or maybe a tool of some kind.  So I'd probably do the gift certificate too and let him choose.

Thanks for the memory!

·
Registered
179 Posts
oh, fun! I don't know my father but I am so thrilled to have a wonderful father-in-law. He loves enjoying the good life and every year he gets tickets to the Playboy Jazz Festival. It is so wonderful to go with him and spend the day relaxing, enjoying the music and having good food and wine. He always gets two boxes and there are some others in the extended family that get boxes so it's like a family reunion; walking to the different boxes and sampling the snacks they brought for their picnic. It's always in the summer during Father's Day weekend (which is not always technically in the summer; it's after school's out and it's hotter than Hades so it feels like summer!)

My first gift for him would be a nice Latin CD that he might like:

Secondly I would get him a movie set so he can watch at home late at night:

Then I would get him snacks so he could remember the tasty treats of his childhood:

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the stories and memories. And for the gift ideas! The ice cream story made me smile, I try pulling that trick on my girls, bu I think they have me figured out. They don't seem to worry much about not getting to stop at Mallard's for a sugar cone of something delicious...!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
20 years ago I was my daddy's belated fathers' day gift born one minute pass midnight. For my entire life my dad has been in the military, so i grew up accepting my dad was going to spen a lot of time away from home. He has a bunch of photos that he bring with him and hangs in the dorm. Since all those photos take up so much room and we alway send him new ones via email (esp. with bro and I in college) I've been thinking about getting him a digitial photo frame for Father's day.

also debating over the keychain photo viewer.

Then there was the summer we tried to teach our then puppy lab to pick up tennis balls while we were at the courts then put them in a basket....she was too ADD for that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would have to say the biggest influence in my life had to be my father. I am the youngest of 5 daughters, the last hope for a son to carry on the family name. When the doctor told my mother that the odds of her having another daughter was astronomical, my father replied "No this one will be a girl as well". My father was 40 years old when I was born. So I don't ever remember him not wearing reading glasses, balding gray hair, false teeth and hard of hearing.

My father was a hard working man. He worked 48 hours a week to provide us with a shelter, food and clothing. I never knew that we didn't have a lot of money because life was always an adventure. If he wasn't puttering about the house fixing things, tending the yard or working on his boat - he was reading. He always told us that an education was the most important thing you could have. He was a voracious reader. Our house was always filled with stacks of national geographics from the neighbor, books and novels that he traded for at work, and Readers Digest. He would even read books that we had to read in school right along with us. He had to have read The Last of the Mohicans 5 times, it was required reading at my high school. He was delighted when I took a Science Fiction class - we read Orwell, Asminov, Shute, and Wells together. When my older sister went away to college he even read her Women's Studies and Feminist Literature books.

I remember sharing books with my dad. We read all of Robert Ludlum's Bourne books. We would play leap frog with our book marks and see who would finish first. He went through a James Michner phase that I couldn't get into. He ripped through Tom Clancy novels like they were candy. It was always funny to see how many copies of one book my dad would receive for either his birthday or Christmas. I got smart one year and started buying him Border's gift cards. (Pre- Amazon Days)

We were all convinced after he retired that when he died Mum would find him slumped over in a chair with a book in his hands. It would have been a perfect end, but sadly he died not so peacefully 6 years ago from small cell lung cancer. As he got more frustrated with his lack of mobility he read more. The things that you find out about your parents after they pass is amazing. My father enlisted in the army at the age of 17, he left high school in order to help support his mother. It wasn't until he returned home after World War II that he graduated from high school with straight A's in all his subjects. He was also a member of the Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown while stationed at Ft. Myer in Virginia. He is the one who taught me how to properly press a pair of pants.

The 70's were a horrible time to come of age because of the fashions. Yes, my father owned several leisure suits in a variety of colors. Some of our favorite outfits were the ones he would wear when we were out on the boat. Not having much fashion sense plaid shorts and striped Hang Ten t-shirts were generally the order of the day. He had a very short inseam (28 inches). He came down one evening after he was ready to go out with my mother and he was wearing a pair of very large plaid pants that were all the rage in the 70's. My and I almost fell on the floor we were laughing so hard. He had a 38 inch waist. So the combination of short legs, big plaid and a wide flat fanny did him no favors. He asked what was wrong and we said - Get out of those pants! He went upstairs and came back wearing a nice calm houndstooth pattern. He never went out again with out checking with us first.

I could go on and on about him but I won't. When I hear stories from friends about how uninvolved or overly strict their fathers were, I tell them I wish that my father was theirs too. He instilled in me my love of reading, a sense of independence and interdependence and a hard work ethic. He was one of the most humble, kind, giving person I know. I find my self reading and exiting book like the DaVinci Code I think to my father would have loved this book.

So if he was alive today what would I buy him, An Amazon Gift card,
Sun Dried Apricots
National Geographic

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My dad went to university and then transfered to the university where his girlfriend went. this was done in secret as none of my granparents wanted them together. they finnaly gave in. He had to have parents permission to get married so started young by the time he was 21 he had 3 kids. I lived on a university campus until 3rd grade and he was a student until 4th or 5th grade. while school was in we were at the university but out of school we were on a ranch with my mom's parents working the farm. He has a new daughter the same age as my son now and is still gardening as well as coaching track and soccor. the only consistent activity is gardening, planting trees, fixing his yard. I would get him something for his gardening

Threesixty Innovation Garden Angels Gardening Seat/Tool Tote #GSB222

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Harvey said:
Thank you for the stories and memories. And for the gift ideas! The ice cream story made me smile, I try pulling that trick on my girls, bu I think they have me figured out. They don't seem to worry much about not getting to stop at Mallard's for a sugar cone of something delicious...!
LOL, Harvey. I sent the story to my sisters and my brother and my one sister answered that I made her cry but she said, "One correction - you were the only one that fell for it." Maybe she's right?? ???

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
When I was young, my Father loved to swim and go to the beach. We lived in Montana, so getting to the beach wasn't always easy. We would usually spend a week or two in Houston with my Mother's family and would water ski in the lakes or go to Galveston beach. When I turned 8 years old, my Father got gangrene in his left leg from an injury from an airplane crash when he was in the Air Force. We had to drive from Montana to Oklahoma City because they had the best VA hospital for amputation. He lost his left leg from the knee down, but was determined to do everything he ever did.

We moved down to Houston because my Mother's very large family was there and could help us get back on our feet. As soon as Summer came we went to the lake with our family for fishing and water skiing. I remember watching my Father trying to ski with one leg and watching him fall over and over. By the end of the Summer he was skiing, diving off the pier and body surfing at the beach.

He was a remarkable man and I miss him so much. Nothing ever got him down and he taught me to never give up.

Thanks Harvey for letting us share such wonderful memories.

Now for suggestions:

2nd charger for traveling. Car charger always needed. And of course a gift card can always be used.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Every summer my dad would sit us all down and ask us to help him pick where we were going to go that summer for vacation. No matter what we picked and how many awesome ideas we had we always ended up going to Silver Dollar City. So, one year we decided that when he asked we would all say we wanted to go to Silver Dollar City so he could talk us out of it and maybe we would actually get to go to Disneyland this time. But guess where we went that year. Yep, Silver Dollar City. AND... he acted like he was doing us all a favor by going to the place we actually picked.

Here are my gift ideas:

Thanks for the contest! Can't wait to read all the entries.

Melissa

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
My father is, without question, the man I admire most in the world. Of course, I am very biased.

He is part of the "Greatest Generation" who served in WWII (albeit at the very end, never seeing any combat action), and a rarity these days in that after the war and finishing college, his first job was with Campbell's Soup, and then bout 40 years later he retired from that company having never worked for anyone else.

He always set an example for me in terms of honesty, integrity, critical thinking, generosity, and all sorts of other good things -- especially reading. And he showed incredible good taste in marrying my mother (and he's had only one wife, just like his one job).

I think my favorite memories involving my father are simply the family dinner table conversations we had. He was able to discuss almost any subject intelligently and insightfully. As far as summer-specific memories, nothing terribly exciting stands out in my mind. I guess some of the best summer memories revolve around baseball: watching the Cubs on TV, going with him to see a few games, but mostly just going out in the yard and playing catch.

As far as gifts, I have no idea what to get him since he really doesn't need anything material, and I know the only thing he really wants is a complete cure of my mother's cancer. So all I can think of from Amazon is:

Better yet, just make a donation to the cancer charity of your choice.

PS: I just ran across this book on Amazon, and since it sounds like the sort of thing my father would enjoy reading, I figured I'd add it to this post:

PPS: Found another idea, since my father loves doing crossword puzzles:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My dad died when I was 20 (in 1974). Before that, one of my summertime memories was of walking across a parking lot somewhere in town, when I was perhaps 15 and trying very hard to be a 'girl', and he said to me - 'you walk like a farmer walking across a pasture'; he was not trying to be mean at all - he loved me very much. But of course I was not real pleased with the comparison!
He was ex-military & I was trying to be a 'hippy' in 1970. I had the album Leftover Wine by Melanie and he heard 'Psychotherapy' sung to the tune of 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic'. He was livid, feeling it was a sacrilege. My mother stepped in and cautioned him to just listen to the words and he would know that it was not being profane (he could not hear well at that point in his life and he just recognized the tune and could tell the words were hippy words and not the original words).
Before he died, I feel very glad that we did get past my 'hippy' sentiments and his military sentiments and were growing close again. Before my hippy era, he would sit and talk to me for hours - unloading because he wasn't very happy living in a house next door to his in-laws (yes my mom's parents) and I was mature for my age, so I was his sounding board. It never felt unpleasant or like he was making me the parent; we were just very close at that point in time and I think it really helped us to not be too alienated during my rebellious teenage years.
I do miss him a lot. He loved to tinker in a workshop, drink beer, and watch football. He also loved his 3 daughters very much.
He was not much of a reader, so I don't think a Kindle would have been of use to him. I'm not even sure he would have ever gotten the hang of the internet and cyber-shopping.

Meemo's suggestion of a chair massage cushion would probably be right up his alley!

Also, as he was hard of hearing, he might have really used one of these:

or these:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I remember that every time I had a fever when I was a kid, my dad would always stay up by my bedside. I would always wake up with him giving me my medicine or putting cold towel on my forehead. Another vivid memory that I have of my dad is when he first taught me how to read. I remember lying on my stomach with him on the floor late at night. He had all the consonants with the vowels written on a yellow pad (ex: BA BE BI BO BU) and he read them all to me and asked me to repeat them. My dad also taught me to be honest, and up until now I'm not a very good liar. ;D

I really can't think of anything that my dad needs, but here are some ideas:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My father (more properly known as Daddy even to my adult brothers) died when he was 46.  It’s hard to believe that it’s been nearly 30 years.  I never got to know him as an adult but I treasure the memories I have of him.  I was daddy’s little girl so I spent a lot of time with him.  He worked hard as a section laborer for the railroad so he would be tired when he got home.  He would go down to the basement and roll cigarettes (tobacco) most nights and I would join him.  Although I’ve never smoked and can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke, I love the smell of tobacco.  Summers for us were spent outside.  It was the 70’s, no cable, no dvd’s, no video games, no computers, not much of anything to keep you inside.  Daddy took part in croquet, water balloon fights, hide and seek and all the other things kids did.  I can still close my eyes and see Daddy (on a windless day) running back and forth in the park trying to get a kite in the air because my little brother wanted to fly his kite.  He was always the one to stop the ice cream truck and buy us all treats; though I think it was so he could get his favorite.  But the best memories are of him and my mother sitting in the back yard on a hot day, visiting with family and friends, watching the kids play, and drinking Oly (and letting me sneak a sip or two).    Family tell me I’m like him.  I take that as the greatest of complements. 
If Daddy were here, I’d get him a really good lawn chair and a case of good beer!  Don’t know if they sell that stuff at Amazon, but that’s what he would like.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was very fortunate in having a great Dad. He was an avid reader. I got my love of reading from him. I believe that was one of the greatest gifts that he could have given to me. I have passed the love of reading down to my two daughters. I also am already buying many, many books for my three grandchildren. There are so many wonderful memories of my Dad, but I must say going book shopping is one of my favorite. My Dad will be dead for seven years in November, and I still miss him terribly, but having those fond memories of shopping with him for books will always bring a smile.  :)

Cindy

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.