Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think I counted and so far on the list I have only read 17 out of the 120 or so there!  I am going to be reading for a long time!! 

List updated through here!! 

Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Not in any order:

1:  Illusions (Richard Bach)
2:  We'll Always Have Parrots (Donna Andrews)
3:  To Sail Beyond the Sunset (Robert Heinlein)
4:  Travels with Charley (John Steinbeck)
5:  Heart of Gold (Sharon Shinn)
6.  Last Chance To See (Douglas Adams)
7.  A Walk in the Woods (Bill Bryson)
8.  If Life is a Game, These Are the Rules (Cherie Carter-Scott)
9.  Tailchaser's Song (Tad Williams)
10. Luck in the Shadows (Lynn Flewelling)

Limiting this to ten is a nightmare--I finally just went with a combo of what I can't live without and what I pick up whenever I want to reread something.  Some are standalones, some are part of a series, but not necessarily the first book.  Most of these (and others I love), aren't the better known works the author has written.  Unfortunately, that means a number of them aren't Kindleized yet. :(  And each of the ones listed could easily be replaced by two or three more from the same author in most cases! LOL

And of course, there's easily a hundred more that aren't listed......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
I'll add my 10 in no paricular order:

Lord of the Rings-JRR Tolkien
Dragon Riders of Pern-Anne McCaffrey
Sword of Shannara-Terry Brooks
Watership Down-Richard Adams
Watchers-Dean Koontz
All Creatures Great and Small-James Herriot
Half Blood Prince-JK Rowling
A Christmas Carol-Charles Dickens
I, Robot- Isaac Asimov
Promises in Death- JD Robb

Most of these that are series I would put in my most liked list but didn't want to list only 1 author in my top 10!

Lynn L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
This was not easy.  I'm sure my list will be somewhat different tomorrow with some of the 8 I removed displacing what is here.

1. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas  Kindle
2. Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey  Kindle
3. Schindler’s List by Thomas Keneally  Non-Kindle
4. The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith by Thomas Keneally  Non- Kindle
5. The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton      Non-Kindle
6. The Alienist by Caleb Carr    Kindle
7. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery    Kindle
8. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson  Non-Kindle
9. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang    Non-Kindle
10. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Here are just some of my favorite books:

1. Stiff by Mary Roach
2. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
3. Death's Acre by William Bass and Jon Jefferson
4. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
5. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Dracula by Bram Stoker
7. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
8. The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
9. Time Traveler's Wife
10. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
VictoriaP said:
Limiting this to ten is a nightmare--I finally just went with a combo of what I can't live without and what I pick up whenever I want to reread something. Some are standalones, some are part of a series, but not necessarily the first book. Most of these (and others I love), aren't the better known works the author has written. Unfortunately, that means a number of them aren't Kindleized yet. :( And each of the ones listed could easily be replaced by two or three more from the same author in most cases! LOL

And of course, there's easily a hundred more that aren't listed......
I know!! It's so hard to limit it, but that's half the fun!! The problem for me is more that I love every book I read, but sometimes I forget that fact. LOL So it's hard for me to remember my favorite 10!! :) You made a good list though!!

Rachel

Updated through here!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
My guess...a lot of people hate that book because it was required reading. I hate being forced to read, even if it's a good book. Many times you have to keep pace with the class and if you are a fast reader that's a pain, and if you are a slow reader it makes it really hard to enjoy anything.
Just a guess. I loved that book too! Even though I was required to read it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Here are mine, off the top of my head:

1) The Red Tent- Anita Diamant
2) My Sisters Keeper - Jodi Picoult 
3) Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold
4) Unconditional Parenting - Alfie Kohn
5) Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini
6) Playful Parenting- Lawrence Cohen
7) Dragonfly in Amber- Diana Gabaldon
8) Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone- J. K. Rowling
9) Dead to the World- Charlane Harris
10) A Series of Unfortunate Events- Lemony Snicket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Angela said:
The Circle Trilogy - Randy Alcorn
Small correction. Unless there is more than one Circle Trilogy (which there may very well be), I believe you mean that it is by Ted Dekker, not Randy Alcorn.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
mwvickers said:
Small correction. Unless there is more than one Circle Trilogy (which there may very well be), I believe you mean that it is by Ted Dekker, not Randy Alcorn.

:)
You are so right... I should be ashamed!! Ted Dekker is one of my absolute favorite authors! I was thinking about a Randy Alcorn book as well and decided to go with the Dekker one. I will go back and fix that!! Thanks! ;D It was hard to only list 10!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
MAGreen said:
My guess...a lot of people hate that book because it was required reading. I hate being forced to read, even if it's a good book. Many times you have to keep pace with the class and if you are a fast reader that's a pain, and if you are a slow reader it makes it really hard to enjoy anything.
Just a guess. I loved that book too! Even though I was required to read it!
Somewhere I've lost the thread ;D I'm so easily confused! Which book????

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
I believe they are posting about To Kill A Mockingbird
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
10 Favorites...

The Man In The High Castle - Phillip K. Dick
The Book of the New Sun (series) - Gene Wolfe
The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje
The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
The City and the Stars - Arthur C. Clarke

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Godel, Escher, and Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - Douglas R. Hoftstadter
Dune - Frank Herbert
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Startide Rising - David Brin



- Walter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
I tried to do this a couple of times and couldn't think of what to write, so I'm going to try again. I know that this list is probably going to be heavy on kiddie lit, but I'm an intermediate reading teacher, so you'll have to excuse me.

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
3. Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald
6. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
7. The Woman Who Fell From the Sky by Joy Harjo
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. She by H. Rider Haggard
10. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

This was really, really hard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Aravis60 said:
I tried to do this a couple of times and couldn't think of what to write, so I'm going to try again. I know that this list is probably going to be heavy on kiddie lit, but I'm an intermediate reading teacher, so you'll have to excuse me.

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
3. Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald
6. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
7. The Woman Who Fell From the Sky by Joy Harjo
8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
9. She by H. Rider Haggard
10. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

This was really, really hard!
These are great choices!! I knew it would be hard, but that's is what makes it so rewarding! :) :)

Updated through here!!

Thanks everyone!!
Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Don't have a running top ten, but a few I like are:

The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
Dirty Girls on Top by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
East by Edith Pattou
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

if I think of five more I'll post :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
In no particular order:
Assassin's Apprentice, Robin Hobb
The Bride, Julie Garwood
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
Wrinkle in Time, Madeline L'Engle
Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone
Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls
Love Me Forever, Johanna Lindsey
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett

Am leaving one blank hoping that the best book is still out there for me to find!

I am obviously a popular fiction type, as most of my favorites have already been mentioned. 
Just couldn't get into LOTR or Follet's Pillars of the Earth.
Also enjoyed The Stand and Atlas Shrugged, but not enough for the top 10.

Also guess I need to move The Book Thief up on my TBR list. 
Thanks everyone for your lists!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
My favorites: (~Kindle..means available on Kindle)
1) Don Quoxite, Cervantes ~Kindle (Grossman translation)
2) Travels with Charlie, Steinbeck ~Kindle
3) Across the River and Into the Trees, Hemingway~Kindle
4) Men without Women, Hemingway~Kindle
5) The Journals of Anais Nin
6) The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged)~Kindle
7) Les Miserables, Rose translation
8 )  The Aeneid, Fagles translation
9) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith, ~Kindle
10) Paris Trout, Peter Dexter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
RangerXenos said:
Just bumping this up, I was getting some great suggestions from the books listed so far!
Thanks for the bump!! I gotta remember to update the front list soon. These were some awesome suggestions!!

Rachel

Updated through here.
 
41 - 60 of 97 Posts
Top