Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-[My clothes dryer broke; no heat.  Runs and runs ice cold.  We ran out and bought $80 dollar part...put it in; it didn't correct the problem.  Tomorrow morning heading out to buy a new dryer.  Well, better than being in the hole; at least the bonus can be put towards the purchase.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You know what....my college son came home in October, stuffed 2 months worth of laundry into my front loader and destroyed it. I had to pay $1300 for a new washer and dryer that wasn't in the budget. But, I muddled through...you know how? With a pedicure.

I saw your message that you have never had a massage, manicure or pedicure. It is time to treat yourself a bit. I never had a pedicure til I was 40 and then a friend convinced me that it was the best thing in the world. Even though she is no longer a friend (another sad story) I still get pedicures and love them.

I don't spend alot of money on jewelry, trips, clothes, and so on. My pleasures are small but I love them. SJC, treat yourself.

L

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
How true Leslie.  I started a little late but for my 70th birthday my neices took me to day spa for massage and pedicure.  It was wonderful and I have treated myself many, many times since that day.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
How true Leslie. I started a little late but for my 70th birthday my neices took me to day spa for massage and pedicure. It was wonderful and I have treated myself many, many times since that day.
That's the attitude, Dori. Really...my father pays a fortune to go the podiatrist. I have a pedicure every 6 weeks for half the price. I consider it foot health.

L

·
Registered
657 Posts
Leslie said:
That's the attitude, Dori. Really...my father pays a fortune to go the podiatrist. I have a pedicure every 6 weeks for half the price. I consider it foot health.

L
And if you aren't the pedi/mani type go to a nice coffee house and have that latte with a nice pastry. It doesn't matter what your 'splurge' is but make sure to have one once in awhile.

That latte and pastry has saved my sanity many a time!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dryer. Seems every time I get laid off an appliance breaks down. in 2002 it was my washer & dryer :(  then in 2008 it was my refrigerator.  So lets see next time its time for the stove so I think I will save back some money. Seems about every 5 years I get laid off  :eek: :( so better be ready for a new stove!!!

I do agree, a pedicure, message and or facial is the best thing one can do for themselves, their body, and mind. It really helps to de-stress.  I think mostly because I giggle and wiggle all the way through, my feet are very very ticklish and pretty soon everyone in the facility is laughing!  ::) ;D

theresam

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leslie:  I guess I am, at 45, getting my very first professional massage.  I got a 1 hour massage certificate for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
sjc said:
:-[My clothes dryer broke; no heat. Runs and runs ice cold.
We had that problem. On about the fourth time we checked it we found a switch that somehow was set wrong. It completely turned the heat off in the dryer. Switch reset. Dryer heating. Good luck on finding a solution that simple.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Got an entire spa treatment for christmas. Five treatments that include hair, nails, waxing, facial, and massage. It much needed after this drama filled weekend. lol.

Leslie, I think my mom know how you feel. My bro and I went and came home from college at the same time...imagine how much laundry we bought back. lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
sjc said:
Leslie: I guess I am, at 45, getting my very first professional massage. I got a 1 hour massage certificate for Christmas.
YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!!​

Way to go, SJC - You really do deserve a treat, especially with this latest calamity :(

Hope you find a great deal on an awesome dryer.

Best of luck,

Marci

G

·
Right now seems lie a good time to buy one.  Retailers are desperate to make a sale.  With a little shopping around you should be able to find a pretty good deal.

My last 'splurge' was my Kindle.  One of my best ever.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
sjc said:
Leslie: I guess I am, at 45, getting my very first professional massage. I got a 1 hour massage certificate for Christmas.
Oh, wonderful. Enjoy! I like massages but those are rare treats. Haven't had one in awhile.

L

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I got my first mani/pedi while I was pregnant. I couldn't see, let alone reach my feet and DH wasn't going to trim my toenails. I thought they were really expensive - well, for me $40 would be a budhet a breaker for one. The places around here charge $20 so woo hoo! Its still a special treat and not a regular activity...

Never had a massage. Would love too but don't know what type. The "menu" is so confusing...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mom133d said:
Never had a massage. Would love too but don't know what type. The "menu" is so confusing...
It's best if you can find a massage therapist on a personal recommendation, from a friend, co-worker, etc. You want someone who is licensed: LMT is the credential. For starting out, just go with a basic full body massage. It should take about an hour.

Spas add all sorts of special features but really, good strong hands and arms, good massage oil, a comfortable table, and sheets to cover/uncover appropriately (so you are not lying there naked and fully exposed) are all that are really needed. The therapist is key.

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
SJC - I've gotta add my 2 cents - listen to everyone here.  A massage, or medi/pedi will make you feel much better about having to expend for a dryer, but like it was said, retailers are begging so you should be able to get a good deal.  Glad you got the bonus to help.

Hang in there, there are still lots of free books to read.

·
Registered
621 Posts
sjc said:
I got a gift massage certificate oh, about 5 years ago, and I was hooked! At first I went once every few months and then every month. Finally, my masseuse offered me an excellent price reduction if I bought in bulk and so that is what I do now.

I am a retired teacher who chose at retirement to get my cost-of-living raises in a lump sum once a year in December, and so that is where I get the money to buy a once-every-two-weeks massage! If I could afford it, I would get one every week. Massages are good for not only my muscles but also my skin which is naturally dry and getting drier as I age.

Patricia

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Sorry about your dryer, SJC. I've always said that when people say "The Lord will provide," they mean that when you get extra money, The Lord will provide the disaster to take care of it.

bkworm8it said:
I do agree, a pedicure, message and or facial is the best thing one can do for themselves, their body, and mind. It really helps to de-stress. I think mostly because I giggle and wiggle all the way through, my feet are very very ticklish and pretty soon everyone in the facility is laughing! ::) ;D

theresam
That's why I don't do pedicures. I'm so ticklish that I have actually kicked the poor person trying to do my feet. My daughter got me a spa day for Mom's day this year, and I'm using it all up in manicures.

G

·
gertiekindle said:
Sorry about your dryer, SJC. I've always said that when people say "The Lord will provide," they mean that when you get extra money, The Lord will provide the disaster to take care of it.

That's why I don't do pedicures. I'm so ticklish that I have actually kicked the poor person trying to do my feet. My daughter got me a spa day for Mom's day this year, and I'm using it all up in manicures.
I guess we'll have to tie those feet down first....then get the feathers...err clippers.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts