Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi y'all,

I am the heaviest I have been in a long time, I weighed myself this morning and I am not a happy girl. I lost about 50 pounds a few years ago
then broke my arm and now I have gained all but 9 pounds back! The good news is, I joined a gym (actually my local YMCA which is nicer than any gym I have belonged to before) and had been going but only sporadically. I am committing to going at least 5 days a week and I also keeping track of my food. I found a great tool for my iPhone called "Lose it" you just put in your weight, goal, age and then log in your food and exercise and it calculates it. It is also free!
You can also do that at some sites, I have tried myfooddiary.com, which is the exact same thing, except it cost money, I think 9.99 a month. I do think there are some free ones out there...

I thought there might be some others who would like to make this winter a time to get into shape, rather than an excuse to eat and hibernate (which I could easily do) and having others support is always helpful. We can also share tips, kindle diet or exercise books and even recipes.

I also find the show the Biggest Loser (which is on tonight) can be motivating.

My goal is to lose 40 pounds and then another 25! I am trying to cut out refined sugar and white flour as much as possible and fried food.
I just really want to get fit and have more stamina. I play pool competively and have a big tournament in May in Vegas. I know I play better when I am thinner and exercising regularly, so by May I would like to reach my first goal, or close too it.

All right, who's with me? ;D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I think this is a great idea!

Right after I make tonight's General's chicken, and finish the leftovers from Thanksgiving....  ::)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I think it is a great idea, too! Larry has been trying to get me to join some type of club or gym for months! I will be traveling the next 2 weeks, but after that I will begin to find someplace to work out!

B

·
0 Posts
Angela said:
I will be traveling the next 2 weeks...
*calls the upholstery shop to order extra padding*

Looks like I'll have a busy two weeks. Enjoy your trip. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think this is a great idea. I did the exact same thing you did and I really want to get the weight back off.
How can we make this work for us???

·
Registered
205 Posts
that's a great idea!  I have been working on losing weight too, I have lost about 60 pounds in the last year.

Here are some helpful things I have learned so far:
1. Join a gym if at all possible, make sure you check out gyms before you join so you know it's a gym you feel comfortable going to.

2. Get a scale that tells you your weight, fat % and hydration, so you know if you're losing fat or muscle.

3. Even if you're not a morning person, try going to the gym before work - you'll be full of energy all day and won't have to worry about blowing off the gym cuz you're too tired, working late, whatever.

4. DON'T just do cardio - make sure you do weightlifting too!  More muscles = faster metabolism and stronger bones & joints!

5. Eat 6-8 times a day so your bloodsugar doesn't get too low and your body doesn't go into catabolic mode (fat storage mode)

6. Eat lots of lean protein, leafy veggies and whole grains.  Limit white, processed foods. 

7. Learn what the correct portions are.  This includes how many calories, and correct proportion of proteins, carbs, and fats.

8. Once a week have a treat day!  Your body will adjust to fewer calories so once a week eat an extra 400-500 calories to keep the weight loss going.  Plus, you won't feel so deprived of your treats that you fall off the wagon.

Good luck!  You can do it!  :)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angela said:
I think it is a great idea, too! Larry has been trying to get me to join some type of club or gym for months! I will be traveling the next 2 weeks, but after that I will begin to find someplace to work out!
A lot of hotels have gyms, so be sure to check that out. If you make the effort while your traveling you'll be more likely to follow through when you get back.

I agree about investing in a gym or something... maybe a WII Fit. The last time I lost weight I just started walking in my neighborhood, which is very hilly. The only problem with that is, as soon as the weather turns cold I wimp out. Now, I have no excuse, + they have TV's attached to the cardio, which really does make the time fly. I decided to join the Y because they have a pool and it I love to swim. I also think it is a little cheaper than a private gym with the same amenities.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my hubby and I have a habit of dropping change into jars and stashing said jars until they are full.
I just cashed them in and ended up with 687 bucks. We talked about buying ourselves a Wii and I think
we should add the Fit package to it. I have heard they are a blast and I would love to add it to the
workout routine.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vicki said:
I think this is a great idea. I did the exact same thing you did and I really want to get the weight back off.
How can we make this work for us???
Maybe with everyone who commits we agree to check in at least once week with our progress, good or bad... and post as much as you want in between. If your having a hard time that is a good time to post!

Pictures of progress are also a good thing! I may just take a before pic (though I may wait to post it till I have made some progress) :eek:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
i think I found a new excuse to get myself an iphone!!! I have a gym membership that my parents bought my brother and I right before we graduated (a four year membership) and the only time I used it was the month before prom. Then don't get me started on my wii fit

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been working on this since this past June (when I tried on a bathing suit and was horrified by what I saw in the full-length mirror!) Since then, I've lost about 20 lbs, which comes out to a pound a week, which is the perfect way to lose weight.

Mike and I use the Beachbody fitness videos. I can't recommend them highly enough. We started with one calle P90, which is a basic get-yourself-into-shape routine. It lasts 90 days, and it spells out exactly what you should be doing each day. It starts with basic routines, teaching the moves, then about half-way through the 90 days you switch to the second set of videos which ramps up the reps and the intensity. This prevents plateauing and really get the weight moving. It has both cardio and weight-training elements, so it is the perfect work-out. You can check out their products here: http://www.beachbody.com/jump.do?itemType=HOME_PAGE

Mike and I have also dedicated ourselves to clean eating, which is basically throwing out all of the junk food, getting rid of anything with refined sugar or flour or that deadly high fructose corn syrup. We pretty much only eat organic foods that are lean proteins and complex carbs. Mike, of course, lost 25 pounds in the first couple of months. Jerk. :D I am on a much slower path, but that's okay. A pound a week is fine. If I keep on this path, I will reach my goal weight in March, which happens to be the month I turn 45. My goal is to be the hottest 45 year old on the beach! :D

Anyway, count me in! :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I was going to buy a Wii with the Wii Fit for myself for Christmas, but I bought Little Gertie instead. 

I'm not so much overweight (maybe 5-7 pounds) as I am in terrible shape.  Walking is the best exercise, but walking makes me dizzy, so that's out of the question.  I want to try the Wii Fit before I buy it because I don't want to invest $250 plus the Fit add-ons if I'm going to have the same problem. 

My biggest problem with weight gain is that I have to take a nap every day.  If I eat lunch and then nap, I put on weight.  If I nap first and then eat lunch, the weight starts coming off. 

Weight loss isn't a problem for me.  What I need is an exercise program that won't cause me to lose my balance and crash into the nearest wall.  My walls don't like that.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Octochick said:
A lot of hotels have gyms, so be sure to check that out. If you make the effort while your traveling you'll be more likely to follow through when you get back.

I agree about investing in a gym or something... maybe a WII Fit. The last time I lost weight I just started walking in my neighborhood, which is very hilly. The only problem with that is, as soon as the weather turns cold I wimp out. Now, I have no excuse, + they have TV's attached to the cardio, which really does make the time fly. I decided to join the Y because they have a pool and it I love to swim. I also think it is a little cheaper than a private gym with the same amenities.
I already have the Wii... maybe the Wii Fit will be a good investment!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gertiekindle said:
Weight loss isn't a problem for me. What I need is an exercise program that won't cause me to lose my balance and crash into the nearest wall. My walls don't like that.
Do you have a YMCA with a pool near you? Most offer a water aerobics which I think might be great for you. If you fall over you
just float! ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just need to walk every night rather then sitting here reading the Kindleboards.  If you see me on between 7 and 8 tell me to get off and go exercise. :)  I just am not a morning person and can't get up that early to do it before work.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Octochick said:
Do you have a YMCA with a pool near you? Most offer a water aerobics which I think might be great for you. If you fall over you
just float! ;)
That sounds perfect. Even if I don't float (never could get the hang of it), someone is sure to pull me out. The nearest Y is too far away for me to drive, but I think we have a community pool. I'll check for water aerobics classes.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts