Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rumours that Amazon may be expanding the reach of Kindle to other countries. What is the scoop on this? And, is Canada likely to be able to use them, get them, enjoy them?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
JulieHFerguson said:
I have heard rumours that Amazon may be expanding the reach of Kindle to other countries. What is the scoop on this? And, is Canada likely to be able to use them, get them, enjoy them?
Apparently this rumor is coming from the KindleNation blog. Stephen Windwalker received an email and interpreted it to mean that the Kindle is going worldwide, very soon. You can read it here:

http://thekindlenationblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/hard-evidence-kindle-going-global-very.html

I'll be perfectly honest...I received the exact same email and did not come to the same conclusion that Windwalker did. We'll see who is right.

I do believe there will be an international version of the Kindle, but who knows when that will be.

L

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would imagine that any international kindle would not include whispernet.  Wispernet uses CDMA mobile cellphone technology based on the Sprint network, which uses technology that is only used in the US (and perhaps Canada).  For whispernet to work in other areas of the world they would have to switch to GSM technology and make deals with other carriers.  I don't see that happening unless they start making users pay for the wireless access.  In my opinion the only reason we get free whispernet now is that Amazon was able to make a sweetheart deal with sprint for data access since sprint is the least profitable of the major cellphone companies in the US.  There were even rumors in past months that Sprint could go out of business!  I don't put much stock into that rumor because sprint owns nextel, which government agencies (and Motorola) rely heavily upon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm 99% sure that if the Kindle ever did make its way to Australia, it would not have any wireless capabilities other than, perhaps, WiFi. Even if it did, it certainly wouldn't be free, and I doubt enough of the market would be willing to pay for the service.

I've no doubt the Kindle will be available in other countries at some point, but I don't think it will be any time soon, even after reading that email from the website Leslie posted. I'd be very surprised if it happens any time soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.