Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any Kindles in schools?  I know there are text books available but I long for the day when kids don't have to tote huge suitcases of books to class.  I was reading my K and a friend of mine (a high-school English teacher) sold herself on one.  I told her they were expensive and she blurted out, "I'll write a grant!"  Very eager.  Sadly, they're out of stock but maybe for next semester!

My DD is in the fifth grade and my fellow Kindler asked if we should get the teacher a Kindle as a group Christmas gift.  Each kid would bring in $10 or so and we'd have enough for a K....until they  ran out!  We'll probably wait until the end of the school year to get it for her.

Anyway, I see a great future for Kindles in the schools!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Really?
It's an interesting thought, but I would think it would work better in colleges or universities than, like, grade schools. (The basis for my argument here is that people attending a school of higher education are more responsible and more mature, thus better equipped to take care of a fairly expensive piece of technology.  In hindsight, I realize that this is a ridiculous argument, given the prevalence of "funnelling" on my own personal campus during my personal college years.  So I heard.  Not that I ever participated.  However, I'm too committed to the discussion now to back out.)

I don't know.  The guys in my 5th grade class were destructive enough to screw up a one car funeral.  And my younger brother's friends?  Still much the same and they're all 30 now.  Maybe if they made a school version out of titanium....

~robin

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Certainly not for grade schools.  Our elementary disclaims all responsibility for any electronic devices being lost or stolen.  They will not investigate any of these losses because the kids aren't supposed to be bringing them to school. 

My grandson brings his cell phone but keeps it turned off during the day.  Most of the kids have them if my wait at the bus stop is any indication.  When the bus is delayed all the parents are pulling out their cell phones to either call the kids or the kids are calling them. 

·
Registered
447 Posts
Kristena said:
Has anyone seen any Kindles in schools? I know there are text books available but I long for the day when kids don't have to tote huge suitcases of books to class.
Both my daughters in Middle School and High School had backaches from carrying so many books. The last one graduated HS in 1997. Now I see kids using the luggage on wheels for their school books. But all those books take up a lot of room in the lockers too.

I think a Kindle for school textbooks should have a larger screen. With a zoom for detail on maps and illustrations.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Avalon3 said:
Both my daughters in Middle School and High School had backaches from carrying so many books. The last one graduated HS in 1997. Now I see kids using the luggage on wheels for their school books. But all those books take up a lot of room in the lockers too.

I think a Kindle for school textbooks should have a larger screen. With a zoom for detail on maps and illustrations.
It would have been so nice to have a Kindle 8 years ago when I was still in high school. I developed severe scoliosis when I was 12, and by the time I was 16 carrying around books was absolute torture. Also these books were ancient, scribbled on and torn apart by previous students.

If each child had their own Kindle, not only would they have a light compact way to carry ALL of their books, but the books could be updated so much more frequently. No more books referring to the U.S.S.R.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow. I'd buy into a Kindle for Kids-maybe something more sturdily built. The textbook industry would be wise to get into ebooks. Imagine how convenient it would be to "hand out" books. No lost books. No checking in and out books.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I would have loved to have had one in college. I would be concerned with younger kids being able to take care of one... perhaps Fisher Price or Playskool and can together with Amazon and develop an indestructible Kindle for Kid... One of those 2 companies have a DVD player and a digital camera (that also works under water) that can hold up to the abuse a child can toll out!

·
Registered
788 Posts
gertiekindle said:
It would be nice, but there are still school zones where kids have to share the books and aren't allowed to take home the few books that are available.
I know. I went there.

I didn't say it was economically feasible, especially in this economy, but it would be NICE.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really on;t think the current Kindle would work well for text books, but hopefully they come uop with a version that does.

What it would work great for though is liturature classes.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Mikuto said:
I know. I went there.

I didn't say it was economically feasible, especially in this economy, but it would be NICE.
Yes, it would be nice.

Oddly enough, my 10 year old grandson doesn't like to read on my Kindle. I thought using a gadget would inspire him to read more so I downloaded some books for him, but he prefers a paper book. Doesn't matter. As long as he enjoys reading.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust my 12 year old niece with a Kindle, One she always losing things. Second she is always very gentle with things. IMHO children aren't always as careful with there things as adult would like. It will be a few years before I even think about get her a kindle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The idea of ebook readers in schools, of course, is a great idea. The only problem with the kindle is the size; It's not big enough to display an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. There is a company called Plastic Logic that is making a reader the size of a full sheet of paper due to be released in Spring 2009. They just built a manufacturing plant to build their flexible eink displays. Here's a youtube video

I can see this doing very well on the education and business market, but the Kindle will probably still be the best personal reader.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Yes, it would be nice.

Oddly enough, my 10 year old grandson doesn't like to read on my Kindle. I thought using a gadget would inspire him to read more so I downloaded some books for him, but he prefers a paper book. Doesn't matter. As long as he enjoys reading.
I think color for photos and graphics would be important to keep a childs interest.

Could this have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I go to college, and hoping that I will be able to buy a few of my books in the e-version so I can download them to my kindle.  I am hoping for a cheaper price too.  I figure that even if I can only buy a few it will help pay for the kindle in the long run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts