Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be filed under Really Stupid Question...but will a magnet affect the Kindle? We are debating this at Casa Thumper tonight...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thumper:  My very first call to Amazon when I got my Kindle.  I was worried about the strong magnet on my purse.  They said OK not to worry (but I still worry.) I will always worry about Kindle in airports and that topic has been discussed to death.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The DX has a magent -in- it.  I'm not sure the innards are that much different than the K2, so I am guessing there shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I still would avoid magnets just because there just aren't magnets laying around all over the place and why risk it.  I'm from the "OMG!  Keep your floppy disks away from magnets!" generation though, so avoiding magnets comes second nature to me.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Scheherazade said:
The DX has a magnet -in- it.
Really? Is that part of the rotational thing? Incidentally, does anyone know how that works?

I've never worried about the relatively weak magnets on purse closures. But I certainly wouldn't put a strong magnet right on the screen. That's just askin' for trouble!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
It actually has magnets in the corners to use in conjunction with the Amazon Hinge case.  They made it so the back stays against the Kindle instead of flapping loose, and I think the magnets also help to hold it closed since there's no latch or button.  As for how it works, there's some sort of gyro something-or-other sensor in it that I imagine works a lot like a gyroscope and it just triggers different sensors to tell the screen which way the Kindle is being held and viola!

And yeah, I doubt the magnets even inside are that strong.  I wouldn't get it near say a harddrive magnet or something of the sort.  Though someone using a magnet on a Kindle screen kind of makes me think of those old road games they used to have that I loved to play with when I was a kid.  They had all these horribly dangerous metal shavings held in a clear plastic display over a cardboard picture of a bald guy's face and you used a magnet to move them around and give him hair and a beard and such.  I just realized right this minute how dangerous those could be.  They're as easy to open up as any kid's action figure is today and imagine a kid not wanting to swallow a bunch of metallic flakes... mmm... shiny pixie stick dust!

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
I was thinking it must be some kind of gyroscope to keep it upright. . . .now there's a truly magical device. I remember being captivated by them as a kid

You mean this:

Now kids have this:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sjc said:
I was worried about the strong magnet on my purse.
That was what started the debate. I have a bag with a magnetic snap, and we sat here trying to decide if we dared stick our Kindles in it. The bag is a perfect size for the Kindles but not much else...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would keep the Kindle away from really strong magnets (like the magnetic rock my Grandfather used to have/may still have somewhere). I also wouldn't suggest you allow the Kindle to have direct contact with any magnet for any prolonged time. But if a magnet on a bag or purse was strong enough to damage a Kindle, I'd think it'd be a hazard to any other electronic device you might store in it, like a cell phone or a Netbook computer maybe. So I'd think the magnet poses no threat as long you're not resting the magnet directly on the Kindle.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thumper said:
That was what started the debate. I have a bag with a magnetic snap, and we sat here trying to decide if we dared stick our Kindles in it. The bag is a perfect size for the Kindles but not much else...
Is it really any different than the magnetic snaps on a Noreve?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thumper said:
I could answer that if I had a clue what a Norve was...
The Noreve Cases (the ones with the rail system) have a magnetic snap closure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts