Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a disease. I call it Kindletosis (for no particular reason). I have a K1 and love it. K2 does not have enough to logically get me to upgrade to it. However, I have this "pull" towards K2 which is driving me nuts. I know there isn't enough good stuff in K2 for me to get it. But my mind can't shake this "pull". I think about it, I dream about it, but I know I shouldn't get it. I'm hoping this "pull" doesn't continue for the next 2 years until K3 arrives, or I will probably be completely insane by then. I think booze would help, but I don't drink.

Steve

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
stevene9 said:
I have a disease. I call it Kindletosis (for no particular reason). I have a K1 and love it. K2 does not have enough to logically get me to upgrade to it. However, I have this "pull" towards K2 which is driving me nuts. I know there isn't enough good stuff in K2 for me to get it. But my mind can't shake this "pull". I think about it, I dream about it, but I know I shouldn't get it. I'm hoping this "pull" doesn't continue for the next 2 years until K3 arrives, or I will probably be completely insane by then. I think booze would help, but I don't drink.

Steve
So happy to know what is wrong with me Steve! I have the same thing, our symptoms mirror each other. I have it so bad that I find myself watching the K 2 video 2 or 3 times a day. I don't drink either. Is there a Kindleologist in the house?? ???

·
Registered
377 Posts
We're here for you, bud!

I actually do feel a little bit like you do, tho not as bad. Yes - I do want one. But - I don't need one. If K2 had the folders I would have broken down and bought one. But I cannot justify buying it as it is (even though it does have a lot of new features that I covet!). I'll (probably) be happy w/my K1 until they come out w/the K3 or whatever that is better suited for my needs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes, I can relate to that strange pull too. The only thing I covet about the K2 is the 16 shades of gray....because I have some technical acupressure books on my K1 and the illustrations would look much better. But I love the shape of the K1, the buttons, the silver scroll bar, and most of all the SD card. And my K1 is perfectly legible so I really can't justify replacing it right now. But I find myself compulsively reading all the K2 reviews. I have a feeling K3 will have a lot more memory so it would be logical for me to hold out until then. Ack! Will we all start counting down now until an announcement of K3??? There is no end to this! Kindletosis may be a terminal condition.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think booze would help, but I don't drink.
If you start, we can get Bacardi Jim to talk to you about your drinking problem.

Also, have you tried Hari Krishna? (It's a muppet joke. I'm not knocking anyone's religion.)

Recognize the pull for what it is: evil spirits of consumerism gnawing away at your conscience. You know you don't need the new Kindle, but you're clearly going to have to do something to appease the spirits. I recommend, as form of sacrifice, getting a new and interesting book for your Kindle, then reading the spirits into oblivion. Christopher Moore's new book "Fool" is now available on Kindle, at more than the normal $9.99. Spending $15 on a Kindle book might make the spirits slink back the whence they came.

Also, Mark Twain once wrote an essay about dieting, and said that the only way to not be fixated on food is not to ignore it (and I'm not sure if he meant food or the fixation), but not to want it or not want to do it. To consciously think "I don't want that, and I don't need it." And eventually you'll stop thinking about whatever it is you're fixated on, and the rest of your brain will lose interest and move on to something else. I did that with shopping once for a month, and it is surprisingly helpful advice. At the end of about three days of actively working on it, I actually didn't want to shop anymore. It all went to crap the next month, but that's another post for a different forum.

·
Registered
795 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Recognize the pull for what it is: evil spirits of consumerism gnawing away at your conscience. You know you don't need the new Kindle, but you're clearly going to have to do something to appease the spirits. I recommend, as form of sacrifice, getting a new and interesting book for your Kindle, then reading the spirits into oblivion. Christopher Moore's new book "Fool" is now available on Kindle, at more than the normal $9.99. Spending $15 on a Kindle book might make the spirits slink back the whence they came.
Robin, that sounds like such good advice that I am now contemplating buying a new skin for my K1 and possibly another Oberon cover as well. That should not only appease the evil spirit of consumerism but also strengthen my commitment to keep my dear K1 (on the principle that I now have too much invested in her to abandon her). Thank you so much. I feel better already. Whew.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
rofl, glad I could help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went through the same thing, but finally broke down and just ordered a K2. I will sell me K1 on ebay or something to make up some of the cost. I like having the latest and greatest of everything.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Add me to the group!  I keep watching the video and almost got out of bed last night about 11:45 to order so that I could be at the front of the line.  I love my big buttons on my K1 because it makes it easy to read in all sorts of positions and I can really snug down and get comfy.  I also love my SD card and the fact my K1 feels like a book.  So why can't I ignore the K2?  I guess the text to voice function has me intrigued - could use it to hear pronunciations of unfamiliar words.  Also, I'm worried that Amazon won't update our software anymore.  Which really doesn't make sense, I guess.  I have a 1st gen iPhone and always get updates.  Granted, there are parts of the update that don't work for me, but not enough to really notice.  Can't Amazon do the same for us?  I sure hope so.....

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Robin I love your advice. I am trying that with my bacon cheeseburger and fries fixation. The probelm is I keep dreaming of thee damn things.

Granted, it is a cheaper problem then those of you dreaming of a K2 but it is worse for my waist line. (sigh)

The K2 does look pretty and I do like having the latest and greatest. Then I look at the current economy and go "Yeah that pull for the latest and greatest really helped us all didn't it?" I figure that the current economic times serves as a good reminder that I have what I need, actually a decent amount more then I need, and that I don't want to have a ton of credit card debt, so I am not upgrading Tavar.

I am upgrading my IPod. I have had it for four years and it is down to four hours of battery life.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My name is Theresa and I have Kindletosis!  :eek:  At first didn't care. Then someone showed the screens side by side and the crisp picture is calling too me. If I had only waited 3 more weeks before ordering I would be getting K2  ::) but then again. I would not be enjoying In Her Name with Mike Hicks. It's been a real treat being a part of his book Klub. I love the Oberon cover I own. I had bought a new purse for it (of course the K2 would fit better   ??? oooops).

I've decided with no SD slot that I will wait until k3 and see if they finally add it. As long as I quite looking at the photos my screen is easy to read and looks clear enough for me.... Just gotta stay away from those pics LOL....Not to mention I may be out of a job at the end of the month so that helps. So after back and forth for several days (ok since Monday) I've decided to wait for K3.

theresam

Oh the Muppet's....I love them. I should go get some of the DVDs so my child can grow up with the Muppet's!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
stevene9,

Admitting you have a problem is step one to the solution.

"To consciously think "I don't want that, and I don't need it."  And eventually you'll stop thinking about whatever it is you're fixated on, and the rest of your brain will lose interest and move on to something else."

Or, you can find a tune you like and get it into your head to where it won't go away ... that works ... but then you have another problem.  :-\

How about ... breathe in through your nose ... and out through your mouth ... slowly ... and repeat ... good ... good ... and again ...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Add me too. I don't need a new one. I love the one I have and it works perfectly. The 16 shades of gray would be nice to see and the longer battery life is nice, but I just got mine in December and it works fine. Still, the new shiny is calling my name.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Xia said:
Yes - I do want one. But - I don't need one. If K2 had the folders I would have broken down and bought one. But I cannot justify buying it as it is (even though it does have a lot of new features that I covet!). I'll (probably) be happy w/my K1 until they come out w/the K3 or whatever that is better suited for my needs.
Boy does that EXACTLY sum up my feelings. I want one but I don't need one. I really wanted folders. Everyone has different things that are important to them, and folders is very important to me.

Steve

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I don't use SD cards, that doesn't bother me and I love the text to voice feature, and 1500 books. I need to keep my butt away from the K 2 video, K 2 threads and let it go. I am going to try to have enough will power to get some feedback from Harvey, Leslie and others and after then I don't know what will happen. My K 1 is only 4 months old but I so want a K 2. I could have 2 or I could sale K 1.

I wonder if the longer you wait to sale your K1 if it will be more difficult, any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I don't use SD cards, that doesn't bother me and I love the text to voice feature, and 1500 books. I need to keep my butt away from the K 2 video, K 2 threads and let it go. I am going to try to have enough will power to get some feedback from Harvey, Leslie and others and after then I don't know what will happen. My K 1 is only 4 months old but I so want a K 2. I could have 2 or I could sale K 1.

I wonder if the longer you wait to sale your K1 if it will be more difficult, any thoughts on that?
You know.....it is possible that folks will get their new K2s and decide they prefer their old ones after all! I'm just saying.....they might decide the new buttons suck, or the flat shape is harder to hold. And then there might be a run on used K1s with everyone trying to find one. I think you should wait and see what happens. Maybe your K1 will actually increase in value once the initial K2 euphoria is past. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I HAVE IT BAAAD!  I have even gone so far as to order K2, a new cover and skin. I keep thinking that if someone finds a cure I can cancel the order before ship date. I have canceled all my movie stations from cable - stopped buying fancy coffees - and by ordering with my Amazon credit card I get more points for free books.  Please - someone help!  I also don't drink, have to remain gluten free so comfort carbs don't work. What's a girl to do?  ???

Lynda C

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Ditto for me.....I feel the pull somewhat too. I think it's natural to feel that when something you love comes out with a newer version. You always want to have something that's great be even better! Although I haven't convinced myself that the K2 is better. I use my SD card for music and love it. I store different types of music on different SD cards so I can put in what I want to listen to at that moment. With no SD card I wouldn't have that option. Yes, I have an mp3 player that I love also, but having one less item to carry around or be attached to is great. The only thing that really tempts me about the K2 is the text to voice feature, for when I'm on the treadmill. That would be awesome! But since we don't know if my husband is going to survive the next round of layoffs, there will be no K2 for me now. I'll be interested to hear the reviews of K2 after everyone gets them.

I decided to buy my kindle a new skin that I've been admiring....the tropics!!  That is my way of staying excited about it and solidify my committment to my current kindle.

Linda...I wondered about that too. Since I'd have to sell my current kindle in order to afford the new one, by the time I got around to selling it I wondered what it would be worth. I think the longer you wait to sell, the less you will get out of it as people will already have theirs already or they will want a K2. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Some people might decide that they prefer K1 and will try and buy used ones. Sony saw a decent number of 505 users return their 700 because they didn't like them as much. I have no idea what the number is, I am basing this off of the comments on the 700 boards.

Edited to fix the Sony 700 number.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I ordered the K 2 on Monday morning and cancelled my order Monday afternoon. I have had a new Oberon cover and a new skin for less than 2 weeks. I had saved my $ and paid cash for them but if I get a K2 I would not be able to recoup that $. I put $400 in savings every month and have even thought about using that money to buy me a K 2. We should have some feedback from the guys here before March 1st. I believe Leslie said she had a ship date of around 02/24/09.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts