Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the "What Are You Reading?" thread best of all! Love it! Go to it first!

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where people list an interesting line, quote, factoid, or article they're reading. Just whenever they trip across a moment they want to share -- spoiler warnings if needed.

I've been nursing the Sunday Times, like I tend to do, and am still on the front page story about a woman who's adult son came down with ALS. Her research led her to a drug named Iplex that was not being made or studied due to a territory war between 2 drug companies. The woman and her family kept stumbling across roadblocks -- the drug is available in Italy for compassion use, meaning you can take a risky drug if your life is in danger, but not to non-residence of Italy. You cannot pay a U.S. drug company to research or develop a drug for compassion use either.

I don't want to reveal the whole article, but the love of a mother is a fierce, fierce thing, even if red tape is hard to cut through.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Though not from my K since I was already halfway through when I got that as a present...

From Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm finding a lot of lines in the book resonating with me due to being a girl/parent in general/parent to a girl...

"My mother pictured a daughter as a counterinsurgent..."
"My mother used to say that the umbilical cord attaching her to her children had never been completely cut. As soon as Dr. Philobosian had severed the cord of flesh, another, spiritual connection had grown up in its place...she often put her hand to her navel...it seemed to Tessie that she felt something. Faint vibrations reached her."

For the 2nd quote, when my child gets too far away from me when we're in stores and stuff I feel that tug in my belly, like there's that line between us and I could literally reel him in if I wanted.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

People gravitate to places and things that remind them of their own names -- they feel an affinity for them. A guy named Dennis is more likely to be a dentist and marry a woman named Denise and, I dunno, cheat on her with Della from Dellaware. If someone with a similar name to your own asks you to take a survey, you're more likely to agree, but if someone asks you why you agreed, you probably won't realize the name was a factor.

Oh. The mints by registers in restaurants are losing tips for the waitstaff. If the server puts the mints on the table with the check, the tip goes up. If she starts to walk away, thinks about it, reaches into her pocket to give you more mints, the tip will probably go up again.

Writers, here's one: people trust reviews more from third parties even when the person has an extra and obvious reason for being biased. So, your publisher, spouse, editor, sister, etc, can get better results hyping your books than you can, even if they have a clear vested interest.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
Folks I spit out the last few posts about people who are their names. . . .look in Not Quite Kindle. . .the Aptonyms thread.

Thanks for undersanding!

(Ann)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not technically a Kindlette, since it's from a DTB, but the spirit of a snippet is still present:

Young adult book I'm reading for Vine -- so far, so good. It's very much a Ya-Ya-Traveling-Pants sorta tale.

A character, talking about a failing relationship, compared it to a slot machine and how she kept feeding into it, because it had paid off a little once.

"Putting them in, putting them in, hoping..."

It struck me that a lot of people know that exact feeling, maybe in relationship after relationship.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts